Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the Left - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Unless Chomsky was 'cancelled' for domestically abusing his wife I still don't see the connection.

I guess nobody around here even knows if or what he was 'cancelled' over so its a non starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

equating the far right with the far left is some peak level rightwing cope

they are not the same....at all

the far left typically wants free healthcare, education, good housing for all, decent wages for all etc while the far right wants an ethno-state, a hierarchical society with the bosses on top, if you"re poor it's due to your personal failings and you should accept the rich being rich cause they're just better than you etc.

yeah....totally the same

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah this thread has handily shown how much guff and rameis that is

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's a logical fallacy to suggest the happenings in the private life of individual invalidates the political arguments they make in public.

Your point is null and avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The far left in the west are apologists for the historical horror's of Communism, which they argue was a fantastic system that we should all be clamouring to adopt, which is the left wing version of all the negative things you outlined in your post.

The far right has historically been dreadful, but it pales in comparison to the far left, particularly if you want to go simply by death toll.

The far right are bunch of cvnts, but so are the far left, what you've outlined above is not far left at all, good wages and good housing and healtcare were never achieved by far left regimes, all they could do was make everyone equally miserable and remove the right to free expression.

And we have far left elected officials in this country who would only love to have that type of Soviet-esque system of government and they've been making up serious ground over the last few years.

The current government in Ireland are bad but if you want to see true misery just wait until a Sinn Fein led coalition of leftie wing nuts take over and start driving investment out of the country. Housing, wages and health care will all be devastated but they have good intentions so that excuses it I suppose.

That's why, particularly in Ireland there is a greater danger posed by the far left than the far right, who can barely organise themselves on any level.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The far-left want public rental housing for all, they don't want people to own houses, they want all people to be tenants of the State.

Most Irish people reject that vision.

"That's why, particularly in Ireland there is a greater danger posed by the far left than the far right, who can barely organise themselves on any level."

I agree.

The few, dis-organised far-right in Ireland have never got elected, while the far-left are in the Dail and on TV every day. They have some power.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think it's a reference to horeshoe politics.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Does the far left even make up enough of the electorate to pose a threat regardless of what they want?

• Advertisement

no country has ever been communist.

Communism is a stateless, moneyless, classless society.

Tell me which country has fit that definition?

You are perhaps talking about countries that were run by strongmen/dictator types?

btw, no one is "clamouring" to have a dictator in charge of society

Maybe, but when you're centrist you can't help but see similarities in the tactics, characteristics and agressive tendencies in both extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The far left are finished in this country, voters who traditionally voted for Murphy, Boyd Barrett and Smith have copped on to the fact they want an open border society with no checks on who comes in here.

And more generally nobody is buying that the libs are selling any more.

°°°°°

This old chessnut.

They may jot have achieved communism but they gave it a bloody good go. Murdering their way to promised land outlined by Marx and Engels.

It's telling that every negative element of historical far left regimes is ignored or assigned as actually having been far right somehow.

You spoke about the far left being all about some sort of utopian ideology with unicorns and rainbows and described hyper capitalism as far right somehow. The far right and far left in reality are mirrors of each other in practice.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

The problem is that the more centre left Sinn Fein are already surging ahead in popularity and have openly talked about taxing multinationals to the hilt which morally we can all get on board with, but in a more pragmatic sense Ireland is fvcked is we p1ss off our multinational benfactors.

Sinn Fein would have to form a coalition with the PBP, Greens etc, who in the case of PBP are more extreme in their outlook than Sinn Fein and likely to not be the voice of reason but rather the catalysts for disaster.

FFG are a horrible lot but the alternative is worse. It's a real best of a bad bunch scenario unfortunately.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Facts. Not nonsense.

An alien concept to somebody to thinks far left ideology = nice houses and better wages.

Cite one example of a far left regime resulting in anything you outlined.

I can cite multiple far left regimes that descended into ruthless murder and dehumanisation, no freedom of expression, no room for progressive ideology, all over pure misery.

Those are the facts of far left ideology in practice.

Glazers Out!

Completely agree.

Modern history is littered with examples of regimes that adopted far-left ideology, and it led to the deaths of tens of millions of people - in practice, not in theory.

CS Lewis once talked about tyranny, and how the worst kind of tyranny is that which claims to act benevolently.

It went like this:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

That's what we're witnessing in modern society, or at least a version of the same problem. Every time the far-left acts, it claims to act to the benefit of everyone. Yet at the same time, it seeks to become more and more authoritarian in the process - whether it's with limiting free speech, introducing regulations, or a desire to increase its own concentration of power.

CS Lewis was, and continues to remain, right on this matter.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Brilliant quote.

We see the authoritarian tendancies of the left these days in cancel culture and the overarching need to silence dissent.

Anything that isn't far left is viewed as far right by some people.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Democrats were always the party of racism , slavery, genocide. They still supported slavery after it fell out of global acceptance, they committed genocide against the Native Americans and further impoverished already poor nations for political reasons.

The only two nukes dropped in conflict were by a Democrat regime. Democrats invaded Vietnam. Invaded Korea and killed 2.5 million Koreans. Colonized the Middle East and Central Asia with evil puppet regimes The Democrat regime is up there with the Stalin regime for evil committed on the world.

You could show Biden being racist to a Democrat supporter and they could not care less. Not a care in the world.

Note my added italics below:

PBP’s housing policy is based on a simple premise that everyone in our society requires a decent and secure place to live, irrespective of their income. Housing should be treated as a universal public service the same as health and education. Based on the experience of previous generations and internationally, the most effective way to deliver a decent secure home, based on need, is through public housing.

Modern environmentally friendly building techniques, innovative design with occupants at its heart, flexible living spaces to accommodate changing family-sizes are all evident in public housing examples across Europe – such as the award winning design of Norwich City Council housing and the New Municipal Dwellings programme in Vienna. We can learn from this best practice.

Here we set out our key policy proposals and in the sections below we go into more detail on how we can achieve a housing system on the island of Ireland that provides safe, decent and secure housing for all:

• Renew and revitalise public home building on public land – keep existing public land in public ownership
    • Fund and empower local government and the Northern Irish Housing Executive to increase their stock of public housing and public land
    • Abolish the income threshold limits to make public housing available to more people on a broad range of incomes with rents set at a percentage of take home pay
    • Establish a scheme that enables public housing tenants to move between and within developments based on their accommodation requirements at different life stages
    • Establish a system of housing planning and construction that ensures adequate supply for those with particular housing needs such as those with a disability, those fleeing war or abuse.
    • Provide for an affordable purchase scheme within the public housing system where the unit can only be sold back to the local authority or public housing body from which it was purchased
    • Create and fund a state building company to retrofit and refurbish all public homes so that they meet new energy efficiency standards – create a system of training and recruitment delivered through the state building company and under local authority or public housing bodies
    • Establish greater controls in the building industry including building standards, rights for construction workers and certification
    • Reform planning to ensure democratic engagement by communities in sustainable development – make it a statutory requirement that community amenities including educational, transport, economic, green space and civic/cultural centres be mandated and front loaded in all new development – enforce Passivhaus and design quality standards – all development must have regard to the challenges of climate change and higher density living
    • Establish a new Rental Board that will represent all tenants (public and private) – extend security of tenure and maintenance/dwelling standard rights for tenants and introduce a system of rent setting and control – encourage tenant unionisation – extend tenancy rights to all tenants including students
    • Establish an Independent National Traveller Housing Agency to oversee the delivery of culturally appropriate Traveller accommodation
    • End corporatisation of housing system – bring the dwellings owned by corporate landlords into public ownership – revoke all legislation that allows vulture funds, REITs, build to rent corporate landlords and other special purpose vehicles to operate in the Irish housing market.
    • Establish and maintain registers of vacant and /or derelict sites and unused dwellings and give powers to local authorities and public housing bodies to enforce penalties and compulsory purchase orders
    • Establish landlord, land value, speculation and windfall taxes – introduce a static income tax on income earned from property rental in the private residential market

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lots of people on this site claim to be centrist but are definitely not centrist in anyway at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No evidence whatsoever has been provided to back up and establish this claim.

It's just asserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Noam Chomsky is a God to the left, he has gained some publicity again recently for standing firm against Ukraine, meat to the dogs of the left.

Long way of saying 'no'.

But you are right in one aspect - bad centrist parties are better than far parties.

So no opinion of your own. I guess were done here - I'm not one to waste my energy argueing with memes.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Strange interpretation.

The problem with the spectre of the likes of the far left parties coming closer to a government coalition is that they are perennial opposition politicians who haven't developed to the point where they have any practical solutions for the problems posed by the government they're so used to sniping at from the opposition benches.

FFG are crap, but the alternative has the potential to be truly disastrous.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement