Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I have to agree, Putin's Russia is a much more freer, open, gentle society than the Soviet Union was on its nicest day.

And Putin is a horrible cu58585.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Justification for a major attack on civilians and civilian infrastructure. A heinous crime, targeting a Head of State. How dare they !!! ( while forgetting that was exactly what Putin had planned not only for President Zelensky and his Government) Putin is terrified of the upcoming May celebrations in every City, town and village across Russia. Its remembrance day, when Families carry pictures of those lost in "The Great War " but this year they will be also carrying pictures of those lost in Putins war in Ukraine, and not only that, the walking wounded will also be there too. Putin badly needs a distraction, and a justification for clamping down on the parades...maybe even to cancel them completely, citing his usual security excuse. And what better excuse than an attack on the President, in the Kremlin???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭rogber

Tell that to the civilians in the apartment blocks that get hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Seems like the Russians can't even organise a decent fireworks display either.

A comical act if it wasn't so serious about what they'll do in 'retaliation'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This lies in the problem,

While we can all laugh it this ,but this could be dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Depends how big the target is. Are they capable of precision hitting a targeted building? Or just an area? To what level of accuracy?

Which has been pointed out to you already.

Also there is no 'now' when it comes to maintence. Such a missile is a far more complex weapon than a mortar yet you seemed to think it a valid comparison. Of course maintenance is more important the more complex the weapon.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Not as clear cut as you'd like it to be..

Take Wagner out abruptly and you will have multiple Sudan's in the subsequent power vacuum.

In the real world ICBMs would be launched at cities so wouldn't need to be pin point accurate,

Hopefully it's one we never get to find out if they are or are not accurate, because once one launches they all launch ,

But Zelenzky has said that unlike Putin, he will not attack Russians, let alone President Putin on Russian territory. They attack Russians in Ukraine while defending their Country. Zelensky will not stoop to Putin's level of depravity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sounds promising, especially if the comment about cutting supply lines to Bakhmut is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The first video of the fighting in the Pohovsky district of the Zaporozhye region.

The Armed Forces of Ukraine made another attempt at reconnaissance in combat. Artillery works on the enemy.

05/03/2023 - right now.

Pologi, Zaporozhye region, Russia.

The Armed Forces of Ukraine are attacking the settlement.

They report from the field - ours are successfully attacking the attackers with artillery.

Just last week I saw reports in ukropabliki that they broke through our defenses in this direction and almost occupied Marfopol, Stepanivka, Novoselovka. 

Drove through these villages in reverse order to the front of the line, which overlooks the Gulai Polya dachas. Nothing in this direction the enemy has squeezed out. But gradually getting cheeky. 

There are lots and lots of reports like the above from the Russians tonight.

The region of the alleged Ukrainian raid/recon is the area in the red circle.

Take reports with a grain of salt for now. You will know there is something to them if in the next few days we get further corroborating reports of fighting in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What can they do in terms of outrage, that they've not already engaged in during the past year? Waste of time by the media reporting comments like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Trying to look on the bright side...seems to be some more positive "noise" on that EU shell purchase now anyway.

As regards France "blocking" stuff here, no member can dictate to other member states what they spend their own defence budget on. However it makes complete sense to me that the collective EU money should be used to create self sufficiency into the future vs buying a one off stock or building up the capacity in weapons makers located outside the EU.

If countries think it will be faster and wish to go and buy shells from a country outside EU/EEA (I wonder who are non EU "friends" who would be willing to draw such large amounts from their own stockpiles or have that kind of production available that are not already heavily supporting Ukraine?) I don't think France or anyone else can stop them.

Yes, it will fly as intended, but the important question though is will it still explode on contact???.....Even "fresh" Russian munitions have a high failure rate,,,and age makes them even more unstable, changes in temperature, moisture etc will affect them internally. Ask any de-mining / uxo clearing engineer. Explosives have a shelf life, with TNT it's 35 years, but for others, I'm not sure, only that they do have an "Best Before " date.

That's being discussed since March,but yet still nothing is happening,

One of the issues I touched on there's not a huge number of companies who make artillery shells, if everyone starts to make individual orders on top of a large group orders you end up with bottle neck and supply issues ,it Also wouldn't make sense if Europe got together and wants to order 1 billion euros in artillery shells but one of several others decide to go with small individual orders it would cost them more in the long run,

The Ukrainans are asking the EU for 250,000 155 artillery shells per month that's 3 million shells per year

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

Imagine waking up in the morning and finding a rocket in your garden,and your neighbor is telling you it's not a rocket it's one of them Russian ICBMs, worth a few quid on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Ukrainian counter offensive due very soon. I'd expect that the main attack will be preceded by a diversionary attack to lure Russian forces away from the main thrust. Probably be launched in the wee small hours when the Russians are asleep/drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The offensive has started already, but its not going to be 160,000 men and tanks all rolling forward as the vanguard of some kind of march to melitopol.

Ukraine should have numerical superiority at this stage, so the "reconnaissance in force" we are seeing already near Orekhiv and Huliapole is just the beginning. They will have probing attacks all along the line of contact in Zaporozhia and as soon as one is successful in breaking through the first line of defence (or even just identifies a weak point) they will likely direct the bulk of their force through that point then.

We could have (2 more ;) ) weeks of limited skirmishes all along the line of contact before any big offensive moves are made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Maybe I’m mistaken, but were you not telling us previously of the great 2 million man Russian army or something by along those lines? Should Ukraine have numerical advantage over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't think "nothing is happening". I get what you are saying about how action really needs to be coordinated for efficiency and speed, but the EU is not a country, and generally cannot act fast in a manner like that beyond its competencies.

Defence, security is probably the most difficult thing on which to fully trust others and combine efforts. It is only happening at all in the EU under severe duress, fear + external pressure (the actions of Putin and Russia). I don't think any of the members really want it (edit: well maybe France but probably preferably "on their terms" like everyone else).

I mean they don't seem to trust each other sufficiently on such matters yet, would say most of them still trust the US more as regards security/defence than any fellow EU member and I think that goes for the Western EU members vs their Eastern allies (as well as the more oft brought up mistrust of France/Germany when it comes to Russia by the former Warsaw pact members).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Couple of things are raising eyebrows this evening...

and this..

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1653836254427881498

Explosives on the reactor I can believe.

As for the first story, It be game over for Russia if they did that.

All Eyes On Rafah

The whole Zaporizhzhia plant is filled with explosives and ammunitions ,

Which makes an attack or assault on the plant impossible without risking a catastrophic event

Ukrainian Civiian's have been living under Putins terror especially since he invaded in Feb '22. And for sure, the relatives and survivors would wish for anything is that they would receive all the weapons that they need to stop Putin and stop the terror. And if their personal losses could help in any way to achieve that, so that would prevent other's suffering as they have, they would support that in any way they could. While Putin exists, missiles and rockets etc. will fall on civilians in Ukraine.

The retaliation has been planned far in advance of the provocation., which was the staged drone attack on the Kremlin, which has ( as planned ) morphed into an attack by Ukraine on a Head of State, Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin. And thereby justifying retaliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Am I the only who thinks that Putin is fair game if the Ukrainian's wish to take him out during the course of the war

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Again, there is no legacy to respect and preserve in regards to the Red Army and Russian involvement in WWII in general. So if something can be interpreted as some insult to Red Army, so be it, it's well deserved. Half of Europe went from German occupation to Russian occupation, resulting in 50 years of communism which was not far from fascism, and in some cases, worse. Russians and their Red Army had their own genocides and ethnic cleansings and death camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Genuine question what type of retaliation are Russia most likely to do after the Kremlin drone incident ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

They are already bombing Ukraine's capital city so what else should they do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement