Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

There is a privilege hire in this week to operate the 476 on the 6th and 7th I believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The criticism of EIK & EIL is becoming very widespread and well known. I've posted elsewhere I reckon they should both be pulled from the NAT & used within Europe and the Canaries where the damage to the brand will be minimised. Muller did a great job with that J class hard product on the rest of the fleet. J class (and cargo) is where all the profit is in long haul, Y class is just there to pay the fuel bill. Pi$$ing off your premium passengers by sticking them in an inferior product and charging them the same fee is bound to cause a significant % of them to go elsewhere.

If management are too greedy to do this, then they should at least extend the lease on GEY, get it back in service in place of 1 of the dodgy -300s on long haul and reduce the damage to the brand and the bottom line by 50%.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

100%. Its shocking that an Exec team can ignore/tolerate such a situation. I fully understand that hanger space/access to new seats/parts are a limiting factor. But the Marie Antionette attitude that has been exhibited is disgraceful.

United have a flight to Chicago at the same time as Aer Lingus. Business travellers (who have the financial freedom to do so) are switching over rather than endure EIK/EIL. Economy/Budget travellers have to put up with them.

Looking at FR24 over the last 10days it looks like EI123 and EI121 are getting them 4 days out of 5.

Use those airframes on double daily Malaga and Faro rather than across the Atlantic.

Or maybe dedicate them to the Boston routes, which are the shortest A330 flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Or just get rid of and lease 2 neos.

Between the two is one any worse than the other ? How do they compare to the ones QR are still flying today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

But is it really? Who outside of some aerosexuals is complaining? Are you or anyone else privy to the correspondence to EI? I am not arguing, generally curious to see who is actually complaining?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

My cousin is a dental nurse she told me a patient was in one, day; and they were talking about travel etc. he was complaining about “the sorry plane” that Aerlingus flies to Chicago. She asked what he meant; and he explained it’s the crappy plane where nothing works and the staff constantly go around saying “sorry” constantly to passengers…

This was last year

A friend of mine working in IT and with no interest in aviation flew to ORD a few weeks ago on the "sorry" plane. He'd found the word on Twitter after, as the crew are constantly apologising to PAX for things that don't work on board. Another chap I know more loosely working in manufacturing is on the road every second week in J class to somewhere, he books his own ticket and gets reimbursed by his employer. He loves the hard product in EI but got stung on one of the terrible twosome a few months ago. He's booking one of the North American carriers whenever he is going to the East Coast now to avoid the risk of a repeat. Also I seem to recall the two aircraft were brought up in the Dail transport committee a few months ago when the CEO was in.

If you look at their Twitter and Facebook pages there's constantly posts about them. I assume Joe/Mary Bloggs is going on to complain that the IFE in their seat wasn't working, seeing other posts and realising the nub of the issue. Also J class passengers are generally a lot more clued in about this stuff, especially those travelling for work. If they got the normal product on one leg and the QR one on the other, but paid roughly the same, they're going to realise.

Post edited by HTCOne on

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

The business cabin on EIK/EIL is not that bad .. all seats are lie flat and the screens are more updated than the ones in economy and is functioning. Other than the lack of wifi it’s not much different in business. It’s economy where the issues really show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kevin2808

Padraig Harrington mentioned it recently on a golfing podcast as he had it going to Orlando a couple of times

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

What is the reason why they have to lease aircraft to cover flights like ei778 today

• Advertisement

That alone will have done enough harm to justify removing them from long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

I tend to agree re the business cabin. The first-world problem is not knowing you’re going to be flying on one of them and having booked 3k or 5k find yourself trapped inside a dosing stranger all night instead of in the splendid isolation of the lovely ‘throne’ seat. Whenever I get the email advising that they’re sorry there’ll be no WiFi on tonight’s flight, I quickly try to get moved to one of the central aisle seats.

The interiors are fine for what they were originally intended for, i.e. 3-5hour mid-haul hops from Doha, but Chicago and Miami deserve a better product and the product offering across the long haul fleet really ought to be consistent...

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Consolidation of routes, for operational reasons they decide that instead of flying a morning and an afternoon flight they will fly once on a bigger plane. The A330 fleet is at capacity, so in order to do this they need to hire in a larger aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

The LDCMR is removable as required as I understand.

So those 'sub standard' airframes are mentioned by 1 golfer and a few people J pax on twitter. Hardly protests against the airline. I do not mean to be glib about it. I would liken it to when an airline will regularly overbook a flight chancing that not all people will turn up on the day.

If I was flying J, and have experienced that EI product in the past, I would not be happy getting on board and seeing those seats but I suspect until they start seeing a substantial drop in revenue to the point where almost all people travelling change their flight they will do little about it.

Right now, they have 2 aircraft that still manage to fly across the pond every day. Why would they want to change things because a few people complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

If they had meaningful competition you can be sure it'd change quickly enough. Funny how that happens.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Maybe it is a sign of the times in that air travel is so safe and reliable nowadays, and some people are so reliant on electronic means of entertainment, that unreliable inflight entertainment systems can become a major issue in some people's eyes. By my reckoning, between them EI-EIK and 'EIL carry more than 8,000 passengers a week on transatlantic services, and the majority must be occasional rather than regular travellers, so I wonder how many are truly concerned about this issue. I have flown on both aircraft, by the way, and survived the experience unscathed. The aircraft were clean and the flights were on time and uneventful, which for me ticks the important boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

A very recent shot of EI-GEY at Nimes, parked at the Sabena Technics ramp.

https://flic.kr/p/2ox3Ckz

It's been at Nimes since last June but only the engine inlets and APU appear covered in this photo while the windows, doors etc. and engine exhaust are exposed. I doubt it's been like that for almost a year so possibly an indication of some movement in recent weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm guessing the leases must be super favorable on those ex-Qatar birds for EI to be willing to take all the PR flak & EC-261s that come with having them in the fleet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I don't think the seats are the biggest issue - it's the WiFi.

Plenty of companies justify shelling out for J by expecting that you are contactable during the journey - not offering WiFi in a business product is inexcusable at this stage

• Advertisement

While I'd like to see reliable Wifi on board Aer Lingus too, I feel duty bound to point out that on-board wi-fi on the middle eastern carriers is so slow as to be effectively useless, and it doesn't seem to have held them back.

I seem to recall that Emirates has less than 1Mbit shared across the entire plane on its A380s.

I don't know this guy, as I don't listen to radio at all. But the litany of complaints under this tweet shows that the public are grumbling;

then there is the "aer lingus conplaints" group on Facebook. Mostly concerning lost bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

WiFi is still very much a gimmick on most airlines, it’s nice to have but limited to browsing social media and possibly sending an email. Anything actually worth doing for a business passenger, like sending documents, is almost impossible.

I doubt this is a genuine make or break issue for the majority of passengers, even in business class. It is however an advertised product so passengers absolutely have the right to complain about it not being available, even if it isn’t an integral part of the experience for many.

The truth is, nothing is going to be done about these aircraft this year, this has been clear for months now. I can accept the supply chain issues excuse for this summer, but if this continues into 2024, they’ll deserve the even bigger inevitable backlash.

Wifi is fast and reliable on domestic flights in the US – so I'd argue that it has become an expectation for business travellers originating there.

I would +1 on that. Wifi is almost expected on all American carriers and someone mentioned the poor emirates wifi but in my experience, both EK and QR have excellent wifi. Just not for streaming but at a time when we all need to stay connected its quite good. Speaking of grumbling, a lot of people give out about the Qantas Perth-London flight that has no wifi.

The US domestic flights use ground based WiFi, hence the very reliable connections. So I can 100% understand the expectation from US travellers. (The buy on board business model seems to confuse them a lot as well. EG. Soft drinks and nibbles are free on Jetblue)

Over ocean flights use satellite systems. Which are improving all the time. But that doesn't help if your aircraft has an 8 year old system.

I was on a longhaul flight 2 months back, flying on an A350. WiFi didnt work. Got to the payment page and it froze. Happened 3 times. Then I gave up.

The outbound flight was on an older B777 and WiFi worked fine.

In my opinion WiFi is a still a bit of a luxury. But functional seats, choice of meal and working IFE are basic neccesities in the minds of paying customers. (says the guy with dozens of podcasts in his "to do" folder)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think most of the mainline US3 domestic fleet has/is converting to viasat satellite wifi? I can tell you from experience anyway its very high quality, I've been able to work easily on transcons.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

Does the domestic live TV on the US majors and Jetblue also use the same WiFi connection? Apparently its a connection not available over the Atlantic. I've noticed Air France and Aer Lingus wifi is much slower than Delta's over the Atlantic.

That's was my understanding of why JetBlue TV didn't won't over the ocean.

However my experience of domestic US carriers is pre covid. Haven't travelling around the USA since 2018.

So I could well be well out of date.

• Advertisement

Wifi over land is generally over VHF/UHF hence why it is far more reliable (and cheaper, so even the most modern satellite based systems use the ground infrastructure when in range). Once out of VHF coverage, the satellite service kicks in, which is less reliable, more expensive and far slower due to latency, interference from solar activity and weather among other things. The same is true for datalink, more reliable over VHF (and cheaper, faster etc). That’s why HF radios are still mandatory even after 80 odd years. Incidentally FANS1A/Cockpit systems and avionics are generally in the more reliable L-band spectrum, and still that fails numerous times per year apparently. Cabin systems like in seat phones and wifi are generally in the K-band, which is even less reliable (signal can be interfered with by clouds for example).

Or in other words, there’s a very high chance your cabin wifi will be terrible if you’re more than 300nm from a ground station regardless of what airline you are with.

Advertisement