Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Hard to know where that will go- I’d say there are tons of wealthy and high profile foreigners with a drugs past living in the US- I’d doubt it will come to anything.

They may still have to hand back money if they don’t provide what was agreed. Who knows what was paid, over paid or promised to be paid- saying that, Harry doesn’t have to worry about bin collection charges or electricity bills for a while yet no less Lear Jet costs, given the proceeds from his book.

Interesting documentary on Prince Andrew last night on Channel 4- part 1 of 2, all about the run up to his disastrous interview. It was said that compared to Charles he was a pauper - always chasing the quick buck, dealing with wealthy but dubious people who kept him in the style of luxury he felt entitled to but couldn’t afford. I don’t think Harry will have that issue- his annual expenditure will certainly be high but I reckon with maybe 20-30 speaking engagements and corporate sponsorships per annum, he’ll hang on to what wealth he has- as long as Meaghan doesn’t see herself going solo that is 😂

Oh I agree. Other people would be possibly more discreet about it though..

• Advertisement

Sorry now, but all this publicity surrounding Meaghan over the last week is purely self-generated and absolutely timed to co-incide with the coronation.

Between those photos at the game with Harry, the new style on camera after months of absence and now this- she’s absolutely pathetic- far from wanting to “move on”, she’s essentially trolling the RF at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

And she didn't go to the Met Gala because she didn't want to create a media storm ahead of the Coronation. Yeah right. You need to be invited first.

Despite all their shenanigans they had to wait "a long time" to be guaranteed that they would be 100% welcome? 100% welcome presumably meaning they get the front and centre VVIP treatment. So they were both invited automatically all along but presumably such guarantees of having their arses kissed went abegging for obvious reasons. Incredible entitlement. Of all the people in that extended family and from actual VIPs they are the only ones that we know about who were wanting guarantees for attendance. They are overseas a few years now and I can only imagine the to-and-fro as they negotiated about guarantees but basically being told to politely f*ck off at every point. No wonder they called it the Sussex Survivors Club when they were actually still doing the working role full to the brim with misplaced self importance and self righteousness. Nothing ever good enough presumably and even toys out of the pram i.e. since we didn't get 100% guarantee then one of us won't go. Too bad. So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Who is this Omid Scobie fellow? (it's a rhetorical question, ok? No answer is needed). He's certainly an inhabitant of an alternative universe. I think Angela Rippon had it sussed. There was no way that Meghan would have been welcomed at the Coronation by the Great British public. Never mind the protesters chanting, "Not my King". They would have been drowned out by the boos and cries for Meghan to feck off back to the US. It's a case of, "fool us once, shame on you; fool us twice, shame on us". Or, because I just love the Latin motto which is used in numerous regimental mottos but, especially in this context by the Royal Company of Archers, the King's Bodyguards in Scotland who featured in the late Queen's funeral procession from Balmoral (and a number of other places) "Nemo me impune lacessit". Loose translation is - No one harms me unpunished.

Turning to the Met Gala - as @valoren quite accurately says - Meghan would have needed an invite. And presumably none was forthcoming. I mean, just have a look at who was there. Just for example, Lily Collins, She is a great actor; she has ten or twelve years of super performances in numerous successful films and series. She looked fantastic (make up, dress, you name it) and she also has an innate elfin humility. She is a great young woman who has talent; Meghan is a C-list actor (at best) with virtually no sense of style or behaviour. Who would you invite??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Anna Wintour is in charge of the guest list for the met gala. She's famously the inspiration for Meryl streeps character in the devil wears Prada and she has to to really rate your fashion if you want an invite. I guess Harry and Meghan just don't make the cut.

Plus, she was made a Dame by the Queen and they look pretty friendly here

They are making themselves look like fools by putting out that they "snubbed" the met gala lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

• Advertisement

No one’s disputing or has disputed on this thread that programme didn’t make money- but that wasn’t the crux of the discussion above if you care to read it

This is a quote from Anna Wintour about Meghan:

In a 2019 appearance at the Women in the World summit in New York, according to Page Six, Anna said: "Maybe it’s a little bit boring and time to change. I’ve been thinking a lot about suits recently so … thank you to the Duchess of Sussex!" She added: "Obviously, her style is fantastic.

She says a lot more about how good Meghan is for the monarchy (and comments about her starting early in the mornimg and sending texts)!

Just on the Met Gala - tickets are $35,000 each so I'm not sure why anyone would be clamouring to go to that unless you were in fashion/entertainment industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

I think it's more of a sign of their waning celebrity status. They are not being invited to any of the big events. Their social calendar looks pretty blank except for their own stuff. Dinners out, pics in a limo etc. But they weren't at the Oscars or any of the after parties, notably Elton John's. They had their Oprah moment and thought it would mean invites to the good gigs instead it backfired spectacularly in that regard. Nobody trusts them so Meghan is going to reinvent herself and dump one trick pony harry. They are rapidly running out of steam.

So why hasn't she invited Meghan? Meghan is signed up to a talent agency so she's in the entertainment industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I think majority of people thought well about Meghan pre-Oprah interview and had high hopes.

Do you really think that they would spoil their event with her?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well she clearly doesn't think her style in fantastic enough to warrant an invite. Plus those quotes are from 2019 and quite a lot has happened since then

The fact that they were not at Elton John's party (who they are very close to) suggests that they are not interested in going to these type of parties/events and are staying home with their very young children. There was some commentary that they were not at the Beckham/Peltz wedding as well only for it to come out in the legal proceedings (Peltz are sueing wedding planner or something) and apparently Peltz's mother had asked the wedding planner if she had invited Meghan & Harry. They seem to just go to awards these days - lucky you, you will be able to see Meghan receiving another 'Women of Vision Award' shortly from Gloria Steinem! Something for the tabloids to look forward to as well as the Coronation will be well over.

The fact that they were not at Elton John’s party suggests that they were not invited.

Depends on you perspective, I guess

I'm going on how close their friendship is in what was submitted in the legal case by Elton John/David Furnish a few weeks ago.

According to the Mirror ''

The source also added that John ''is a constant support, especially to Meghan, and is very protective of both of them.''

Elton himself has even previously taken to his personal Twitter account, writing that he felt a ''profound sense of obligation to protect Harry and his family from the unnecessary press intrusion that contributed to Diana's untimely death.''

Now, what are you going on?

edit: I'm also going on the fact that on Elton's farewell concert in the US, he had a personal video message from them during his concerts.

I think if they wanted an invite to his party, they would have got one.

So yeah, I know it’s GB News- it’s not really the article though, it’s what it’s reminded me of - Kate William and Harry were once very close- then along came Meaghan.

It’s reminded me that Meaghan really had no skin in the RF game; she was always the outsider but an ambitious outsider; she was/is either a fiercely independent and ambitious individual or a social climber, depending on your own perspective- or maybe both?

Either way, she was never going to “fit in” with the RF; a godsend, some might say here- and I don’t disagree with that, believe it or not.

I think if she had got her way- 1/2 in 1/2 out, she might have stuck around; but she was way too independent a person to commit to a life of full time service, whilst living in what was essentially a former staff quarters- it certainly wasn’t a fairytale ending.

But reflecting on Harry’s book, I don’t think there was a need to have gone so far, especially over some of the more trivial arguments and disagreements; he essentially killed his friendship with Kate and damaged his relationship with his brother. Fine if you want to write a book- but FFS, regardless of how you feel, don’t burn all your bridges at once.

Meaghan is continuing to plough her own field with the recent signing up to the exclusive talent agency; how that goes remains to be seen but she doesn’t seem to care that she’s ostracised from her own family and indeed her in laws- for her that’s the price of ambition and “brand”; Harry is in a similar state but I don’t think that situation suits him quite so much.

So what do I conclude? I think Harry will feel more and more isolated as the years go by; the RF will “get on with it” as they always do- and I think that will eat into Harry over time; he thought he could make inroads into helping shape a different or more modern RF, but he went about it all wrong- he needed to work with Charles and William, not against them.

His book sounds just like a b1tch-fest- and he made the cardinal error of telling the whole story in 1 book- it should have been at least over two parts- the public (the people with money in their pockets) have now lost interest, as what’s left to say?

• Advertisement

Now, what are you going on?

The stay at home Mom and Harry were able to go to a well publicised LA Lakers game, maybe? But not Elton’s gig?

Fact is that neither you nor I knows WTAF is going on within Harry and Meehan’s minds. All we can do is attempt to read the runes.

Maybe they just don't like these kind of show biz parties? They didn't go to the Beckham wedding either (although they were invited). And wasn't the Lakers game a staff outing which is rather different to what the Met Gala / Oscars party is?

What we do no, is that Anna Wintour admires Meghan and has defended her and that Elton John is a very, very close friend so I'm sure if they wanted it, they could have got an invite to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Will and Kate should not be in his company on their own. Have as little to do or say to him. Hopefully then he can't besmirch their character any further.

This is how to behave in a RF that's modernising itself. Oh, and there's no turning round to see if a paparazzo on a motor scooter is following them. But I'm sure some sugar will tell me that's only because you can't ride a scooter on the London Underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,137 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This is how to behave in a RF that's modernising itself

Do you think the 2 of them tube it to the Dog and Duck on a regular occurrence? 😕

It's a staged photo op, they don't need paps they brought their own. I thought that would be obvious. 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Respect to them for taking the tube with the rest of the plebs tbf 👊

It's a big step down from how they've gotten around in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

An island, with a population of 10k people, has a tradition of carrying visitors who arrive on their island by sea on multi coloured thrones. They extend what is their honour to give to a couple who happen to arrive by plane. And this is racist of course. If the inhabitants of this island were told in advance that they had to do this then there might be some merit to saying that.

Respect to them for taking the tube with the rest of the plebs tbf

They didn't though, the carriage was cleared and probably heavily disinfected.

But apparently that is an example of how the Royal Family get down with their subjects. A heavily orchestrated photo op.

You couldn't write that level of delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Advertisement

Traditions eh, I guess they are in a way.

Advertisement