Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hmmm, Ray Tracing. Keep your ray tracing and give us 60 FPS standard on all games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

It's not the switch pro... Sure the article says the switch pro was (also rumoured to be) cancelled during covid because of supply issues...

So this can only be the successor to that iteration... The switch pro pro plus

Source: A 4chan post that has since been deleted where the posters source is “I know a guy”.

Totally legit! 👌

Edit: And 2 mins of research shows the guy admitted it was all made up. 6 days ago.

Quality reporting and hook baiting all around.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You know what they say - fool me once, shame on you, fool me eleventy seven hojillion times and I'll still read it because that eleventy-seven-hojillionth time might just be the charm.

Or at least, based on the evergreen virality of Switch-related rumours, that's what I assume they say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭jj880

Jay from The Inbetweeners is more reliable than rumours from metro.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I find my big mitts are getting a bit cramped on the Switch Lite these days... particularly when I'm playing Doom Eternal

I have a grip like this, which sort of works, but still find the hands go numb after playing for an hour :/

https://www.amazon.de/JUSPRO-ergonomischer-Handschutz-Gaming-H%C3%BClle-kompatibel/dp/B08LBD2S9S/

Are these 3rd party controllers any good?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09NQ7T1D2/

Also might need some sort of stand for the Switch Lite (why they didn't include a stand in it like the big Switch I'll never understand)

Haven't used those controllers. I've used these and found them very good for the price:

The new Super Mario Bros Movie has broken box office records, scoring the most successful global opening of all time for an animated film.

The family film - Hollywood's second version of the hit Nintendo game - took $377m (£303m) around the world in its first five days on release.

That overtook the previous record of $358m (£288m) held by Frozen 2.

I thought the film was great. Didn't see anything wrong with Mario's voice, though I thought Luigi sounded a little Roger Rabbit-ish.

For a family film, I was surprised at the gritty punches some of the characters endured, and Bowser saying he will "kill".. rather than a more family friendly "destroy" :)

Loved the idea that they showed Mario being trained to be Super Mario, rather than starting off with him just having those abilities for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo Switch Battery Problem Can Make Console Unplayable

Which translates as:

"Lithium-ion batteries built into game consoles may become unable to charge if left unused for a long period of time. Please charge the battery once every six months."

• Advertisement

That's a warning they give/gave for their other devices that use lithium ion.

Keep meaning to charge my Wii u controllers every 6 months. I.e. the pro controller and the gamepad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Does the 3ds xl have a lithium battery?

For sure it does. I have several Nintendo devices that I haven't charged in yonks. Like a DS Lite and Wii U Pro Controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I didn’t turn mine on for well over a year and it worked no prob.

this has put the **** up me though

I went searching for my Wii U Pro Controller and charging cable. Eventually found them, it was as dead as a Dodo upon initial inspection and I know I left it with a good charge last time I used it. Will have to resync it, but it is charging thankfully. I might go looking for the DS Lite tomorrow.

The Wii U Pro Controller was probably last used a couple of years ago on a Shantae game. The Wii U is on daily, but I use the gamepad.

Jack Black music video of song from The Super Mario Bros. movie:

You know you can use the Wii U pro controller with the switch and a device like this. I have one. Works. But I never use it. 😁Thinking I should now and again to keep the battery alive. E.g. couple times per year.

Mayflash Magic-NS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Finally got to see the Mario movie. As with the illumination movies was very well put together, some nice in-jokes there too.

But the best pay off was the time invested playing Mario kart with mini-me the last while... She'd a blast the whole way through it!

I started playing with my Switch Pro Controller knock-off recently with my Switch Lite as I was getting some major cramp on some games, but the first thing I noticed was the height of the analog thumbsticks. They're huge!

I'm coming from a PS4 / Xbone controller background so it would take some getting used to, but even compared to the native joy con thumbstick height they are well higher.

I thought initially that the knock-off had been badly engineered, but it seems it's identical on the genuine article too

I find the only way I can play comfortably with them is to keep my arms extended straight, and prop the Switch Lite on a stand in front of them so my hands actually go behind the Switch Lite.

Trying to recall if the Wii U Pro controller was similar, but I don't think so as I remember that being pretty comfy.

My knockoffs pro controller sticks definitely aren't that high. Got used to them pretty quickly. Can you post a pic/link of yours as Id say not many would want sticks that high...

• Advertisement

Yeah it's these ones

The reviews all seem to be glowing for it and suggest it's identical.

I also found this article

Actually comparing the two it seems the knockoff has recessed buttons on the thumbsticks whereas the genuine article seems to have convex buttons.. maybe that's it

Job offer at Nintendo European Research and Development(NERD) sounds like it's for Switch and its successor. They're a subsidiary of Nintendo based in Paris.

https://www.nerd.nintendo.com/files/Job%20Offer%20GAMETECH2023%20EN.pdf

It mentions: 

"Nintendo Switch and other Nintendo platforms"

"Cross platform development"

"Targeting current and next generation Nintendo platforms"

"Collaborate with game developers to bring new technologies to the market"

"Nintendo consoles' OS and SDK"

Wouldn't want to be the person that has to sift through the 100,000 applications for that!

Funny that in a few years these jobs won't exist as AI will be doing the dev for us (and I say that as a developer)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

I got a friend who set me up with lots of games.... abit like the DS R4 chip

Best investment personally

What games you recommend

Just following on from the issues I had with my knock-off Pro Controller.. I'm now finding that the controller keeps disconnecting (and powering off) randomly every 15-20 minutes or so while in mid-game.

I'm in contact with the seller to get a replacement, but just curious if controller disconnection is a common thing on Switch?

I did a quick google and it does come up quite often.

The battery life isnt great on mine (maybe 4/5 hours per charge) but Im fine with that at 30 euro for 2 controllers. I swap them on a small charge lead I have in the dock.

No disconnection issues for me though. Sounds like maybe you have a dud. Hopefully a replacement will stay connected.

Nintendo Switch isn't "technically capable" of running Call of Duty well, CMA argues

Why would you sign a 10 year contract now for COD if you don't have current hardware capable of playing them? It's just another why I think the Switch successor is closer to release than some people think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Probably just check for lists of good stuff on Youtube, individual tastes are so different, what I love might not appeal to you at all!

If it's a Switch, Mario Odyssey and Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild are essential.

If it is a 3DS/DS, Super Mario 3D Land is a great place to start.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to 3rd party docks for the Switch? I’m looking for something smaller than the official dock to use down stairs with my portable monitor (the monitor has pass through power but not sure it’s providing enough). Don’t suppose anyone here has first hand experience with the Genki Covert Mini or that Skull & Co Jumpgate dock thing? Both look like ok devices and could also be used with other devices like the Deck which would be a bonus.

• Advertisement

Got a Genki Covert dock when it was on a discount sale and the official one was unavailable or ridiculously priced. Have used it a few times and have had no issues. You do need to make sure the switch is positioned so the vents are not blocked.

Edit ... Just checked ... Mine is the small original one. They have an even smaller one now it seems.

Advertisement