Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

"And yet people still wonder why SF are surging in the polls at FF/FG's expense."

This economically illiterate policy is literally what SF were pushing for? They consistently push for ill-conceived poorly thought out policies, then when polling show these are popular FF have a tendency to leer towards the same brand of populism, pick some of them up and then get torn apart for how poor they are.

While I'd agree the parties of government shouldn't be doing it they're in kind of a lose lose situation where SF propose pie in the sky stuff and the government is either criticised for not doing it, or criticised for doing it which proves how bad an idea it was. See also: eviction freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

No politician wants house prices to fall. It impacts general mood around wealth and economy. That will always remain the case even if SF get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

anyone know when this increase will take effect?

only got loan offer the other day , hoping to get everything sorted in the next 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I would say that a majority of people in Ireland don't want to see house prices fall. If you bought a house in the 80s, paid the mortgage in the 90s and now sit on an asset that's worth twenty times that you paid for it, you probably do not with to see it devalue. Furthermore, quite a number of people in the general population are doing well out of the current situation. Indeed, my own uncle is making a nice bit every month as a slum king...

We need to avoid thinking that this crisis is here because of politicians alone or that voting in another set of neo-liberal sock puppets would make an iota of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Its funny because the minority of people that want house prices to fall will suddenly change their tune as soon as they actually get a house!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

People at risk of negative equity maybe - most do not fall into that category.

I own a house. I still want house prices to fall. If I ever want to trade up, its better that prices fall than rise, because when trading up all that matters are property prices relative to mine own.

If my house was worth 500k, and the house I want to trade up to worth 1m, a 10% rise in prices across the board means I can sell for 550, but the house I want is now 1.1m. I am out for another 50k extra if I want to trade up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Recent buyers would probably fear negative equity far more than established home-owners. Someone who bought a house in Dublin for 100k over the asking price in the last two years is likely very worried about falling prices as they'll be saddled with a pile of debt that cannot clear at a time of rising interest rates.

I bought a house last year, but I would still like to see prices fall. I would lose out, but it's better in the long term.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭hometruths

I wasn't aware that this policy was SFs idea, that surprises me. Do you have a link?

It often appears that surprisingly few people realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Property prices are hardly linear with respect to % increases and decreases you will find those on the lower end of the price scale go up higher and quicker when going up and go down slower and lower when coming down so in reality the home for 1 million will probably drop by 10% and the one for 550k will drop by a lower %.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

The really interesting figure to watch for in this is the home ownership rate, which is declining rapidly. A quick google is only giving me figures up to 2016, but even it is illustrative:

"the last census showed the percentage of households that owned their home outright or with a mortgage fell from 75% in 2006 to 67.6% in 2016".

That trend has only accelerated since 2016 too, I'd presume its under 60% now. Not all of those remaining 60% of home owning households support price increases either - lots would have kids in their 20s/30s living at home unable to move out now.

Once the home ownership rate drops below a certain point then the political pendulum will swing rapidly to measures to reduce house prices, because its what the majority of voters will want. Its going to be very interesting to watch things unfold when that happens.

Ironically its essentially the exact opposite political trend that Thatcher pushed in the 1980s - the idea then was to help working/lower middle class people to become homeowners because they would then vote for the Conservatives. But FG&FF's property policies over the last two decades have done essentially the opposite - they've deprived an entire generation (or two) of the opportunity to become homeowners, so instead those people are turning to left-wing political parties (SF).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

youre right on demographics. more of the house owning person in their early 30s class will still be renting too so house buying incentives may not swing voters either with those stuck in renting. ultimately the price of renting + buying will have to fall if we want to progress in the near future. unlikely to happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭Villa05

When it comes to housing, it would appear to most that FFG have kind of a monopoly on policies that destroy the housing market > economy. Recent history should show us that.

I see FF continually attacking SF by saying they are an anti homeownership party. Affordable purchase is the ultimate populist policy.

It's not the purpose of taxation to be used to give the few homeownership at the expense of the many. Any state built/funded/subsidised housing should remain in state ownership so that 1 home can help multiple families transition between renting and ownership and not be a gift to 1 family and end up on Airbnb as I have seen

This 1 simple change in direction would be positive for supply, dampen house price inflation and build costs

FF are the ultimate populists in measures they know make the situation worse

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

houses are not disappearing with every death.

if you’re a homeowner in a job, there is zero incentive to vote SF unless you’re a core voter (republicans diehard).

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

where you have your ownership numbers from?

also social housing tenants do not care about the “rental crisis” either. They’re probably quite smug about it seeing the plebs get up in the morning and sharing apartments….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭Villa05

Wonder are the latest figures attributable to the drop in rental properties. How are those people who would be renting, but are not because of no stock available accounted for.

Those in emergency accomodation, returned to parents house, multi family dwellings etc

November 2022

The rental market has shrunk by 43,000 homes in the last five years in a further squeeze on renters as landlords continue to cash in on their properties and leave the market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

My figures are from the Oireachtas Parliamentary Budget Office, which uses CSO data:

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/parliamentaryBudgetOffice/2022/2022-01-12_snapshot-of-the-housing-market-in-2021-part-2_en.pdf

I've no idea what the website tradingeconomics that you're using is, but their data is wrong.

Social housing tenants don't support house price increases either though. They don't own their own homes so costly measures in the budget to prop up house prices are no use to them, they'd rather that money spent elsewhere that actually benefits them. Which more left-wing parties promise to do.

Thats the rub for FF/FG - the only voters who support continual increases in home prices are home owners. And home owners without immediate family members forced to live with them because of a housing crisis at that. Which is fine in state with 75%+ home ownership rate and a reasonable rental market like we used to have, but in a state approaching 50% home ownership rate with a completely broken rental market its not going to be a viable electoral policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

You would be fine. You would still likely be paying less for your mortgage than you would for rent. And with the way rental supply is going if you had bought a shed (shed might be an exaggeration but not much :)) at least you would have somewhere to live. People renting who are moving are having great difficulty finding somewhere when they have to move. Or even if they went travelling for a year and then came back they wont find somewhere to live.

So many problems, but buying anything that is yours and you have available to you to move into give you much better options for the future. Ren

The very defnition of a Turkey voting for Christmas :)

Id say if also if you are worried about inheritance tax, building your own house or even buying a site, you better avoid SF too.

Actually better to just avoid them if you are even a tax payer.

• Advertisement

I dont agree with this. Just because there is low rental options should not be the sole reason for buying. If you end up buying something unsuitable, you will find it very difficult to move on without a period of renting (buying and selling at the same time is a complete non runner these days).

You will find very few people who ever bought that think it was a bad idea.

You will even find a hell of a lot of people who bought in 2005, 6, 7,8 who thought it was a very bad idea for a few years after who will now have decided that it was a great thing that they bought when they did.

There were some who got burned and had to sell at a loss. But now we all know that once you buy you can ignore the bank if you fall on hard times after and wait it out.

I think we are talking about 2 different things here. I am referring to "buyers regret" when buying something unsuitable (because there are no rental options) and then finding it very hard to move on (not due to financials, but the logistical nightmare that is buying and selling at the same time). I am in this situation myself and although I dont have any financial regrets, I am rather stuck without moving the family to a rental for what could be a few years.

You are one of the few i believe.

Most people suffer some sort of buyers remorse, for anything, and then spend a lot of energy convincing themselves, and especially others, that they have done the write thing and have no regrets. for example all of the people who bought EVs lately and cant charge at home so its costing them a fortune.

In your case if you are stepping back and thinking about it as you should, but would you really have been better off not buying when you did and renting now? Most of us wish we had bought something better than when we had bought, otherwise you would bnevr have any such thing as a second time buyer.

Up to a couple of years ago i would have been all for renting and not buying til you settle down. If come to the realization now that if i were to go back again I would buy the most expensive house I could afford. If I could only afford a shed I would buy that. Simply to get out of the rental market that is already down the toilet and headed for the waste pipe into the ocean at this point. I see no good outcome for anyone renting nowadays anymore. It has been let go too far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I bought about 18 months ago and have the occasional thought about negative equity in the event of a 20% decline in prices. However- I look at houses the same size as mine in the same area and the typical rent is about double my mortgage. My mortgage is on a 25 year term so obviously this multiple would be higher for a 30/35 year term.

With rent increase caps etc I can’t see much of a move towards much lower rents without a huge supply increase (which is a long way off).

That certainly alleviates any concern in my mind about negative equity. Sure on paper we might not be in a great position for a few years but I’d much rather be in negative equity and be a bit cramped for 5 or so years (in the event of more kids) while the market goes through a cycle rather than be beholden to the rental market and forking over a much higher percentage of my take home pay.

Post edited by GoldFour4 on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if prices fall in what way would you lose out? as long as you fixed in at a low interest rate and can service the mortgage you dont really lose out unless your ambition is to try buy at a low point in the market which isnt really viable for someone looking for somewhere to live.

In any case, someone who may want to potentially trade up in the future, dropping prices are better for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Be worried about equity in your primary residence is like the people who think they are assets. IF your planning on living there for 20/25 years you are going to experience plenty of positive and negative equity periods, it really doesn't matter.

Clearly Skehan's comments hit a nerve somewhere as he has been factchecked! The Journal have rustled up some experts to rubbish his comments that we need to be wary of the risks of oversupply.

For example:

Ciarán Lynch, the chairman of the Report of the Joint Committee of Inquiry into the Banking Crisis, told The Journal. “But when the crash came in 2007-2008, it was caused by overvaluation, not oversupply.”

Nothing to worry about so, as long as you believe current prices do not represent overvaluation.

Hang on a minute, elsewhere he says we are experiencing overvaluation:

Banking Inquiry chairman Ciarán Lynch agreed that there was little risk of an oversupply of housing. “There is an under supply in the Irish market right now which will maintain a current overvaluation in the market until the supply is adjusted to what’s required,” he said.

So there is an overvaluation, but nothing to worry about because that has been caused by undersupply rather than excess demand.

Good to know.

And according to Ronan Lyons we could build 50,000 homes a year and not worry about oversupply:

“All in, the country probably requires an average of between 45,000 and 60,000 homes built every year until mid-century. Technically, if we built 100,000 homes per year, rather than say 50,000, there would be a risk of oversupply,” Lyons said.

TLDR: it's different this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

I think most people who are renting would love the security that ownership brings. 'Low rental options' actually means for many people paying disproportionately high amounts of income on rent. Many are squeezed into shared accomodation as a result. Many fear being handed an eviction notice which could potentially result in homeless.

I've had EAs also tell me in our area that the lack of rentals has meant homeowners are not trading up because they cannot get a short term let and are choosing to sit it out.

• Advertisement

If it is all about security of ownership, how many current ftbers who are renting nice 2 bed apartments, and assuming they like the area, would buy that apartment if they had the opportunity?

or are most would be buyers looking to buy a house rather than an apartment?

Advertisement