Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Wickham St. would be fine if they hadn't fuked up day one by not having the cycle lane contraflow.

All the routes have benefits depending on what you are after I suppose. Personally I hate the John Square option but hospital workers might disagree.

Glad to see they are at least thinking about using back lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

The fact that they have provided 5 options with 30 detailed drawings and 20 animated motor traffic simulations for the yellow route and nothing for the other 3 makes you wonder why they bothered mentioning the other 3 routes in the first place. The idea of trying to provide a single cycle-able route shows how unqualified those involved are when it comes to cycle network and urban design in general. It's like they are designing a town bypass for motor traffic. A cycle network should allow you to cycle everywhere from anywhere so regardless of the route they 'select', people should be able to cycle up and down Wickham St safely as well as Lwr Gerald Griffin St, High St, Mungret St, etc.

Not so sure about back lanes - in theory a good idea but they offer very low social safety levels so should not be part of any primary or secondary cycle network.

The quotes in this article don't fill me with much confidence that this project will achieve much either.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/1155726/new-bike-lane-plan-for-limerick-revealed.html

I hate the headline of that article. This is more than just a "bike lane". It's like calling what's happening on O'Connell St. a bike lane.

Also why does he keep saying "this Wednesday" for the consultation. Put the date and time in.

"This Wednesday" was actually the day the article was published and was hours before the time stamp on the article so fuking useless information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Lidl opened this morning on the Dock Road

Fast charger for Electric cars on site. Limerick Cities third such location

Construction took about a month from flat land to operational store. Facebook posters are asking if Lidl can have a look at O'Connell Street

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It was a pretty quick build alright. 9 months from commencement to finish. It helps though that these stores are pretty much identikit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Honan's Quay will close to traffic again for June-Sep.

I wonder If the trees are coming back. That spot has great potential.

The trees have been parked next to the UL building for a while now so yes I'm sure they will.

Weren't the moved up to Colbert station plaza? I wasn't really taking any notice the last time I was down that way, so they may have been moved again.

Actually some of them were but some are still by the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It arguably offers the best views of the castle, St Mary's cathedral, Curragower falls etc. It's completely wasted as a little used traffic route. A public plaza here with some permanent greenery and seating is a no-brainer really. It would make even more sense considering UL want to develop a multi-disciplinary, multi-storey academic building on the site of the former Dunnes Stores. It would also plug the gap in pedestrian facilities between the ugraded promenade along the city quays and Arthur's Quay park. I presume the Bishop's Quay to Clare Street active travel route will be run through the underpass beneath Sarsfield Bridge as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Anyone know whats happening with the roadworks on Ennis Road just after the Radisson ( Ya I know it's in Clare) can't find any info on AA, Limerick or Clare council websites

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

They're erecting bus shelters in front of old Twomile Inn and near the Radisson if that's what you mean

The works are on the N18 mainline after the tunnel.

They're digging out the central reservation so I assume that they're creating another crossover section like the ones out near Setrights and Bunratty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Some Limerick councillors claim to be in the dark. The headline makes it sound like no one in the council has a clue.

Sounds like soapboxing to me.

It's a pity they don't know anybody working in the council that could enlighten them, like a councilor or something

Looks like construction has started around the Greenfields/Childers road apartment block this morning. Plenty of activity there as I was passing at about 7:45 this morning

ABP must have approved the development I'm guessing

The case is not due to be decided until August. Unless the residents withdrew their objection (which is unlikely) then permission has not been granted by ABP.

Lack of permission doesn't stop them from doing site clearing and preparation works though.

It's a very big cleanup and prep job if that's what's going on. They'd hardly be stupid enough to go ahead before ABP make their decision

• Advertisement

Documents for the Debenhams redevelopment have been uploaded.

It's quite disappointing to be honest.

They're retaining the basement and ground floor as retail which is still quire a large floor plate, but there's no effort to upgrade the exterior.

I expected the single storey element to be replaced with a much larger building given the site location but they're keeping it as is.

The aparthotel element is grand but the entrance is an anonymous door on Sarsfield St and there's almost zero facilities for residents with minimal presence at street level.

All things considered it's a poor response to the site and it's concerning that this has been submitted after consultation with the council.

It's even a poor planning application in that there's no accompanying document explaining the rationale for the final design.

I hope it's sent back for being too unambitious

It's very disappointing if they keep that horrible brown brick section. Would be a serious waste not to see that not go up a load of floors.

Are they even able to fit that many rooms in the upper floors for a hotel ?

The Aparthotel wont have much in the way of facilities as they are self catering. Not really sure why it needs anything more than a door.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I had the same sentiments after viewing the file. I kept expecting more details or more elements of the plan to be revealed in further documents but there was nothing! The application is incredibly sparse and illustrative of a really unambitious proposal. It's ironic that the heritage assessment extols the significance of the building and its suitability for internal adaptation yet this proposal fails utterly to reflect that significance or to utilise its potential and showcase its architectural features to the fullest extent. It also lauds the impact of the former Roche's Stores and Debenhams department stores as a meeting place/social outlet yet a large part of the building will now be shut off to the public.

The most baffling aspect of the plan though is the intention to retain the miserable 1986 brown brick bunker on Sarsfield Street. By all means continue with retail on the ground floor and basement but that site absolutely must be densified and a structure at least as tall as the existing department store should be developed. Likewise the service yard to the rear isn't being touched and this also has to be redeveloped. The yard appears to still be in the ownership of the Roche family but they are consenting to the inclusion of their lands in this application so at the very least a masterplan for the redevelopment of this portion of the site along with the awful Liddy Street buildings should be prepared.

If this current application is indicative of the level of vision and ambition we can expect for the 'Arthur's Quay framework' then we really need to up our game.🙄

If it's a case of just building a hotel and not being bothered about the rest could they not just sell the rest ?

As said above I really thought the whole place would be brought up to the height of the main building.

I bet if the council fek this out the developers will throw a hissy fit and go on a rant about Limerick being anti business and tell us it would never happen in another city.

The council are CPOing the derelict Mill building on Robert St.

This building has great potential and it'll be interesting to see what happens to it.

Now that would be a good place for a hotel, right in the centre of the nightclub quater

Ya save them that big long trek from the George or Savoy 😝

It would make a nice boutique hotel (even though I hate the term)

It would be ideal for conversion into apartments. I doubt the council will do much with it other than selling it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Thats definitely a flip job as well.

• Advertisement

They'd want to be well sound proofed apartments... Maybe a youth hostel would be more fitting

Advertisement