Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY HD EPG missing radio channels

Options
  • 04-05-2023 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭redoctober

Hi there,

I'm trying to sort out something on my mum's Sky HD box. For some reason in the radio channels there's only about 4 or 5 stations listed. An engineer recently worked on the box as it was running very slow and I assumed the radio stations would have been sorted but still the same. Anyone have an idea why and how to sort that? Would like her to get the BBC ones. Don't really want to add them as extra channels as it's more cumbersome for her to find. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

They removed most radio stations in Ireland a while back. Think it was something to do with Brexit and licensing.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭redoctober

There's literally 4 stations there though. Is that normal? So it'll be a case of tuning them as extra channels then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

There's 6. A Catholic religious channel, a Punjabi channel and the 4 Irish. Not sure which ones can be manually tuned. I only tuned one, 5 Live. To much faffing about involved to bother with any others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The BBC radio stations were never on the Irish Sky Epg. If your mum really wants to listen to BBC radio, if her broadband is OK, you could get her a smart speaker like Amazon Alexa for example and all she has to do is say " Alexa, play me BBC Radio 2 " and that's it, it will instantly play the station.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Basically you now have to have an EU (not necessarily Irish) license to broadcast to go on the Irish EPG. U.K. radio stations weren’t bothered doing this when they weren’t making any money here and they all left in droves.

The BBC stations were never on the Irish EPG, as the previous poster mentioned.

• Advertisement

Yes, you'll have to use the Add Channels function, and then access them from the Other Channels menu. Currently available at two frequencies. The second one has more BBC radio stations, but it's a temporary holding area for the BBC TV SD channels until they are finally removed early next year. I don't know if they will remove the radio stations too. Details:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

other channels is not older persons friendly

Using alexa and turning off the telly will reduce her electricty usage too

Telly use around 80 watts

Alexa use around 6watts

Post edited by windowcills on

Advertisement