Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Never took to the first Mad Max movie El. Outside of the crazy stunts there's really bugger all to it. Much prefer the second movie TBH. Glad to see someone else liked 'Wolf Creek' though. 😁

All the others on your list are great movies too. But I probably hold 'Wake in Fright' to high level cos when I sat down to it I had absolutely no idea where it was going to go.

If there's one film that would rival 'Wake in Fright' as BEst AuSsIe MoOvEe EvAr, it's probably 'Galipoli'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

There are a couple other Australian films I mean to check out, but they’re probably more on the Ozploitiin side of things.

Razorback, which is Jaws in the outback with a giant hog.

Road Games, a cat and mouse serial killer film.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was going to say Black Sheep but I think that's New Zealand.

I have to go back and watch MM 1 and 2 I think I might agree with you on the second one being better, I suppose the first gets points for how authentic it was and creating the whole concept.

gallipoli I remember not enjoying that much, but I can’t say its not a good flick

The list is a bit short really the Aussie’s should have done a lot more. I suppose they are all traditionally entrenched in soaps and tv instead of film. And all the talents heads to hollywood one way or another.

Mel Gibson should go home, stop the drivel B movies he’s doing these days and get stuck into some serious projects down under. They wont mind his rants down under, might even enjoy them! A man with massive talent pi**ing it away now when he should be in his directorial prime.

• Advertisement

Mel's undoing was his drinking. He let it get the better of him. I don't really believe he's antisemitic or anything, but it's clear that he runs off at the gob when he's loaded. But yeh, I'd like to see him get behind the camera again. Mind you he can be hit and miss there. While I think 'Apocalypto' was an amazing (and I don't use that word often) film, he's also responsible for 'Hacksaw Ridge', which was bleedin terrible.

He has been in an awful lot of junk though recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Daddy's Little Girl is my personal favourite Australian movie. A simple revenge tale, it is as brutal as any movie I've ever seen and some of the scenes in it were more wince inducing than anything from more famous shockers like A Serbian Film. Seek it out if you dare. 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Castle is my favourite Australian movie - absolutely hilarious. I liked Kenny too for similar reasons. but I've only seen it the once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Animal kingdom is a fantastic Aussie movie and definitely in the conversation for one of the best

also obviously loved Shine, Muriel and Priscilla queen of the desert

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭al87987

Sorry if off topic but I just finished a great tv show from Australia - Mr. Inbetween. Great 25 minute episodes about a 'fixer'. Fury Road would be my top Oz film, Lion from a few years back was decent too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Strictly Ballroom is obviously the best Aussie film.

Never heard of this will have to give it a watch. And as pointed out Shine is another fantastic movie, definitely up there. The Flight of the Bumblebee scene in the cafe is one of the best scenes in film history.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Snowtown and Chopper are two other Aussie films I enjoyed, ain't seen them in about 20 years though so not sure if they will stand up to the test of time. Must give them a rewatch along with some of these recommendations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2022)

Contained possibly the worst CGI human face since The Rock from The Mummy Returns.

I went into this with a genuine desire to ignore the anti-hype, but this was an abysmal case of Confirmation Bias for anyone with an axe to grind about the MCU. Ugly, incoherent, unfunny and just plain tedious to watch; the FX were truly shockingly inept and flat. Ant-Man himself was thrown under the bus; his knockabout small-scale adventures of Super Science heists and family drama sacrificed, all so Jonathan Majors could ham up the runtime with the MCU's latest cod-English accent - coupled with an aggressive reminder these films simply exist to advertise the next one.

Green Room (2015)

Gnarly and nasty, but never excessive. If comedy's foundation is built upon timing - perhaps the best horror does too. Not like laughter and screaming aren't often interchangeable responses after all. Point being, this film was an able example of when and how one might use "gore" as a cinematic tool: not through sheer amount; or a desire to push the viewer's face into the viscera; but as punctuation, a sudden moment of extreme carnage quickly whipped away before the camera could leer, or the brain could process what it saw. That's not to say there isn't a place for OTT blood n' guts - step forward Evil Dead 2 - but it's only when something's done well, you can understand when it's done ... well, done by Eli Roth.

That's not to say this was a film dominated by violence mind you. Broadly, it was a stripped-down and economical "under siege" story with a unique and authentic isolated setting, its villains depressingly believable. While our heroes were a group utterly out of their depth, already on the fringe of society before they found themselves trapped with Nazis 20 miles from the Middle of Nowhere. Not a group of experts, military or otherwise, but a bunch of scared musicians. This genre of film can be prone to stumble when previously sober characters would grab the Idiot Ball and make a rash decision - just to create some loud noise and action. So the Movie Can Happen. Here, the panic of the ill-prepared never gave way to total foolishness; instead, the actions of the protagonists felt roughly parallel to how I'd react, if I'm honest. Then when the tables finally turned after sequences of excruciating viciousness, the catharsis felt twice as earned. Not like one needs a narrative excuse for a robust response to Nazism - but it helped tie up the sense of victims becoming the hunters.

The largest promotional angle at the time of release was Patrick Stewart playing the Big Bad - and I'm really stuck on this one. By all accounts, his was a menacing and understated performance; constantly matter-of-fact that in of itself was chilling, never indulging in theatrics or overplaying the part of the head Nazi as he plotted carnage like it was any other day. All that said, this was still Patrick Stewart and all the cultural goodwill and gravity he has amassed was often impossible to separate. That he barely even tried for an accent also didn't help. It was a great performance for sure, but also proved the man has become larger than his profession.

The Aviator (2004)

Stopping short to call the portrayal of Howard Hughes sensitive or nuanced, there was a degree of respectful sympathy towards his infamous OCD and neurosis that ... surprised upon a rewatch. A tonal choice where the audience was invited to feel appalled: but not by the extremity of the Hughes' debilitating "insanity", but by his rivals' attempts to weaponise it against him; the affliction never actually outwardly mentioned by others, but always used to get one over the mogul at critical junctures. The exploitation on the part of the men within the narrative, not those outside creating the fiction. This was a two-hander mind you because if Scorsese brought that choice behind the lens, DiCaprio's performance in front of them avoided anything hammy or overblown. Ultimately selling what amounted to a funny paradox to this ageing Lefty: that a walking, successful manifestation of Randian Ideals might be an underdog in the face of corporate greed?

Mind you, while Scorsese has the uncanny knack to make even a 3 hour runtime fizz by like it was just 90, the actual flying sequences have aged like milk and really wrenched me out of the yarn. Sure, by all accounts nobody watches Scorsese films for their FX but given the film had multiple, sometimes important set-pieces set within a cockpit, it was always deeply distracting just how fake and computer-generated those moments looked. Bad FX aren't a dealbreaker or anything - the recent Dungeons & Dragons film has awful CGI but never got in the way - only that here it seemed like the ... I dunno, lazier choice? The counterpoint being a crash, important to the story and Hughes' downward slide, rendered as a moment of frightening chaos through physical props and stunts - almost making up for the bad CGI everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭monkeyactive

A few Australian films that stood out for me but didn't see mentioned

Mystery road and Goldstone. A kind of western duet revolving around an aboriginal Detective : Jay. Goldstone is my favorite of the two and one of my favorite films but I'm fairly alone in this as it was never as well regarded as Mystery road. The shootouts in these films are brilliant.

The rover is one that Ill not forget fast. Very violent. Stars guy Pearce and Pattinson its an A24.

Samson And Delilah. Modern day Drama about a young aboriginal couple grinding by on the edges of Australian society. brilliant. Australian Society does not come off very well in it.

Sweet Country; Court Drama about an aboriginal man who kills a white man in self defence based on true story.

The Proposition: pretty gritty western that stood out amongst some schlock

I'll add to the above and say that 'The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith' is another Aussie film that vies for top spot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Nightingale, written and directed by Jennifer Kent, is a pretty brutal, bloody, western-ish, revenge, Aussie film. Worth watching, but very tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Homelander

Watched Evil Dead Rise.

Fairly solid film, well made, well paced and good fun, with some great nods to the original. I also enjoyed Lee Cronin's Hole in the Ground.

Certainly very violent but didn't quite capture the grisliness, horror and dread of the 2013 version, but there's plenty to disgust and repel in the effects.

Definitely worth a watch for fans of Evil Dead and/or the 2013 remake. It's a very good effort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Last Kingdom: 7 Kings Must Die

Something of a guilty pleasure of a show; never especially nuanced or complex but was often very much a "rollicking" adventure show at its height. Kinda petered out in its original run of 5 seasons. Given the show wrapped up quite neatly I was a bit sceptical this Netflix film had a point.

It didn't, and was an exercise in total redundancy: a feature-length coda never needed after the main show reached relative finality; all executed with pacing accelerated to the point of incoherence. This smelt of a script for a potential Season 6, compressed into a 2 hour "movie" that barely let its characters breath (the ones it remembered even existed - hi Stiorra!). And in a world where everyone was caked with mud and their name aggressively archaic, it made the experience bewildering at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A coffee in Berlin , if you like small European films, this hits the target, stars Tom Schilling

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954701/

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Might go and check this out later.

Can't say I'm a fan of the Evil Dead "franchise" though. But I did like the 2013 remake. Although I think this has nothing to do with it IIRC.

The next day and I swear, I still don't know what the point of this was. maybe that was because the film tried to shove about 20 bajillion plot points into the runtime; if the show took liberties with medieval travel times, this film managed to increase the stupidity with FTL travel between Northumbria and Wessex. A bunch of characters got killed off screen, presumably cos the actors wouldn't come back - including a pretty critical one really - while the way the script ignored stuff like Ühtred's own daughter was weird.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

This was a surprisingly claustrophobic and oppressive feature, where the camera rarely drifted further than centimetres from actors' faces - especially Jodie Foster's. All of it keeping the viewer in a state of constant discomfort - echoing the characters' own; the zenith being the various moments Dr. Lecter would stare down the camera at us, outwardly charming but his eyes full of menacing hunger. All that visual closeness put me in mind of the difference between subtext and text: how it can be a narrow band easily shredded by an inferior writer or director intent on hammering us over the head. An eagerness towards "discourse" that would jettison nuance or sometimes, a basic respect for an audience's intelligence. Instead, Jonathan Demme used the tools of cinema to push us right up to Clarice Starling's face, to feel that resting sense of unease as she navigated a male-dominated world. Her personal space obliterated, so that the viewer could share that same prickling sense of repulsion as Clarice; the world watching and judging before she even opened her mouth. No need for clumsy dialogue, or two-dimensional caricatures (though Dr. Chilton came perilously close), just good filmmaking. For sure it remained a masterful thriller, one unmatched even across the subsequent years of a zeitgeist increasingly obsessed with serial killers - but the craft of execution also remained peerless. Every year, the Oscars reinforce their redundancy with inane Best Picture wins - but when they got it right, you watch a film like this and say to yourself, "Yeah, I get why that won".

Of course, there was also the matter of its most famous performance: one whose impact could have been diluted through mimicry and parody; but watching this again reminded that the reason Anthony Hopkins' work became such a mainstay of pop-culture in the first place was because of his Luciferian turn as Hannibal Lecter. His performance and the camera's proximity to everyone's face ensured audiences would remember Lecter - whether they wanted to or not. Returns to the character saw Hopkins' method slip into ham, but first time of asking he nailed the part; a killer full of ineffable, undeniable charm all the way up to - and perhaps, including - the moment he ate your face. 

As to the lasting reputation with regards to Buffalo Bill? Uhhh. I'm not remotely the best person to comment, but it was noteworthy how ...intentional and deliberate Demme's film tried to put distance between Bill and Transsexuality. As if he knew the potential harm all those fictional insinuations could seed given the subject matter. All in all, it was a broadly considerate move given this particular era was one where mainstream humour still punched down, transsexuality often portrayed as something grotesquely humourous or shamefully deceitful. Putting explicit dialogue where the audience was told Bill was definitively not a transexual, while utterly clumsy, felt like emotional damage control. That's not to say the portrayal of the character wasn't without issue, but that degree of empathy from the production was still laudable.

'Knock at the Cabin'

M. Knight's adaptation of Paul Tremblay's book 'Cabin at the End of the World' is a case of nearly, but not quite. A story of a gay couple with a young girl who's holiday in a remote country cabin is cut short by a home invasion by four people claiming to have had visions of the end of the world which involves tsunami's, disease and planes falling from the sky, and that the only salvation will be a result of one of the gay men choosing to kill the other.

An interesting, if ludicrous, premise for sure. But Shyamalan does manage to wrench some tension out of the ridiculous story and even gets a decent performance or two from the cast. But it's all a bit too silly to really take in and become invested, so the audience ends up mostly marking time to see how things will play out. Also against the movie is the fact that it's all so tame and for the most part depicts a decidedly PG-13 version of the apocalypse, even if its real rating was an R in the US.

The ending, too, wraps up things just a bit too nicely and from reading a synopsis of the Tremblay book, the movie leaves out certain much need shocks and also does away with the novel's more downbeat denouement, which I think was a very bad move indeed.

As a final note the movie also contains a laughable scene in its final moments, which sees a diner packed with customers still being served by a waitress, while in the near distance there's plumes of smoke rising from several crashed aircraft.

All in all, might be worth a look if you really have nothing else to do with your time.

5/10

'The Pope's Exorcist'

Hopelessly derivative of William Friedkin's 1973 movie, Julius Avery's 2023 effort is destined to be endlessly compared with that superior product, which is a bit of a shame because Avery's slice of religious hokum isn't all that bad in and of itself. While it's true to say that 'The Pope's Exorcist' could never live up to the standards set by 'The Exorcist', there's still a lot to like. Standout amongst the good parts is a charming, if a bit hammy, performance by Russell Crowe as Father Gabrielle Amorth, the exorcist at the heart of the yarn. Crowe has taken the role by the horns and has just gone with it and infuses the character with one or two quirks that keep him, and the movie, watchable. There's decent support, too, from Daniel Zovatto as his young accidental second in the exorcism, and Alex Essoe, the mother of the possessed. It was also kinda nice to see Franco Nero turn up as an unnamed Pope, even if it's clearly not supposed to be Pope John Paul II, the Pope in place during the 1980's, the period in which the movie is set.

The problem, though, with Avery's movie is that it all gets out of hand in the way that Friedkin's never did. Whereas 'The Exorcist' remained contained in a reality of sorts, its central possession being excused of course, 'The Pope's Exorcist' feels is needs to go "bigger" and therefore becomes absurd in the final act. It's not that things become terrible, it's just that all the subtlety gets destroyed, which is a problem a lot of these exorcism movies face. The supernatural elements become so overblown and outrageous that the audience no longer feels anything in the face of lurid CGI madness and people being thrown around like rag dolls, but still managing to survive bone crushing abuse. Plus there's subplot of sorts that claims some sort of conspiratorial shenanigans going on within the church regarding the inquisition that never really comes off and at times makes the movie feel like a Dan Brown story.

'The Pope's Exorcist' is certainly not the worst of its type in this particular subgenre and, in fact, is quite entertaining in parts. But its main issue is that the best exorcism movie is 'The Exorcist' and it probably always will be. As an aside, the real Father Amorth believed that Friedkin's film was the closest to a "real" exorcism that a movie has ever come.

6/10

The Good Mothers (2023) This is a 6 part drama set in Calabria, a true story about the lives of the woman who are part of the N'Dranghetta families - the N'Dranghetta being the most powerful mafia group in the world, not that most people have ever heard of them.

Having spent some time down there years ago in the region, which is on the surface incredibly poor, run down and harsh - despite the group having a turnover of over €100 billion a year, this drama is especially chilling. The lives of the women there in what is supposed to be a modern country, is beyond repressive and a throwback to some era like the Middle Ages.

The series follows different women from different Calabrian families that are all interconnected and how they struggle with trying to leave or come back, and the pain it puts their children through who are not capable of understanding the true culture of their families and the brutality of it. The loneliness escaping brings, the living in fear in witness protection, and the horror of staying.

Its an outstanding drama, it captures Calabria like I've never seen before and an incredible insight to a world so murky its hard to believe it exists in Europe. Highly recommended.

Ghost in the Shell (1995)

A narrative set moments before the Singularity, in a world where humanity had already begun merging with its technology, all the while building up and over the relics of the old world. An important foot chase took us through an urban gully, far below the neon skyline & dotted with detritus from the 20th century - including a rusted tram half-sunk into the sodden earth. As reality itself becomes optional, institutions struggling to recapture the AI genie it let loose, this augmented human running through the analogue bric-a-brac seemed destined to join it, himself soon an antique with his notions of physical existence.

Undeniably gorgeous with its exacting aesthetic of cybernetic militarism, but the narrative was just insufferably baggy in spots - despite its slim runtime of 82 minutes. Maybe that speaks to a waning attention span on my part, but some of the monologuing bordered on impenetrable, even straying close to a pretension the likes of Hideo Kojima would elevate to self-parody; one critical piece of the entire plot was effectively hidden behind rambling exposition, with only a TL:DR from a 3rd character bringing any kind of clarity. Again though, maybe that's more a reflection of me than the movie.

Mind you. The profundity of this film's philosophising felt oddly quaint when stacked against what the Digital Frontier ultimately yielded in the years subsequent to this film's release. Even if, while I type, the concept of AI has resurfaced thanks to the morally dubious entertainment derived from ChatGPT et al, "the internet" as this untouched land of boundless horizons never quite transpired; instead mutating into a broad crystalisation and catalyst for our worse intellectual impulses. That's not to say it's a flaw of the film it couldn't accurately predict the future a few years from now, only that it clashes with what we got.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ghost in the Shell is a weird one, alright. Every time I watch Die Hard I discover all over again that its a 2 hour 20 min film, because its pacing is so finely tuned that I never feel the runtime. GitS is the opposite, and while it's not long enough to truly outstay its welcome, it is still jarring that it isn't really a conventional narrative arc so much as a short sequence of action scenes interspersed with some very philosophical conversations amongst the protagonists.

In some ways it is probably a more true cyberpunk adaptation for that, in that e.g. that feels more true to the feel of stories like Neuromancer, certainly by comparison to the higher-profile western cyberpunk adaptations.

• Advertisement

Aye it's a funny bird all right but the monologuing became a bit much after a time. I also found the Major's arc and development both hurried and slow at the same time - no real sense of who she was before all a sudden she's philosophising and making raah existential decisions. I only watched the sequel the once so am curious if GitS 2: Innocence doubled down on all this, or "solved" it.

Advertisement