Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eileen Flynn halting site taxi issue

Options
  • 04-05-2023 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭

Eileen needs a reality check. She needs to ask herself why the taxi driver was afraid to drive into a halting site. Why was he afraid Eileen? Instead of asking herself this question she screams discrimination.

Threadbans:

downtheroad

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

It would be interesting to hear what crimes may or may not have been committed against taxi drivers in that halting site. It is telling that he agreed to drive in once she kept the Garda operator on the phone.

The bould senator knows well why the taxi driver didn't want to go in there, and must have been delighted when he wouldn't, as she knew it was perfect headline material.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Eileen deliberately misses the bigger issue here - that the taxi driver is afraid of what could happen him in that halting site. She makes a fool of herself by not accepting that there is huge problems within the travelling community. Why doesn't she use her role as senator to address these issues instead of shouting discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Ironically enough by not driving in he suffered the fate of not being paid that most taxi drivers are afraid of when dropping members of the travelling community.

I'd say he was probably more afraid that he would lose his entire nights earnings rather than just not get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,254 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

"However, the taxi driver instead said that he would drop her into the halting site if she kept the Garda operator on the phone."

That dose missed this point in her whinging, wonder why he would want a witness? Maybe she should ask herself that question.

• Advertisement

You obviously aren't listening to the learned output of Pavee Point - there are no problems in the travelling community, it is the "settled community" that are the problem. If we'd just pay up and shut up, all would be well in the halting sites of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 youngbird

It's not clear from the article whether the driver was paid at all. I hope they were.

What's galling is that the other clowns in the Seanad are taking this as evidence of a racism issue. If it's still Labre Park she is living in' I'm not surprised the driver wouldn't go in.

Perhaps Regina could give her a lift home next time🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Tbf I’ve been in and out of halting site loads of times doing various bit of jobs and not 1 thing ever happened. I’d be surprised if anything happened given who he was dropping. Maybe he’d had previous issues with someone though.

“Last night, I got a taxi home from town and the taxi driver refused to take me into my house in a halting site,” Flynn told the Seanad.

There, in a sentence, is what is wrong with the travelling community's attitude towards us chumps in the "settled community"

My house in a halting site.

Free house, but in a halting site, so the option to keep horses, and move whenever there's a bit of tarmaccing to be done. All on the taxpayers dime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

this is the standard mantra for all...hell look at the journal..its little more than a mouthpiece for pavee point. Of course the fact that pavee point is funding their newsworthy articles on travelers doesn't even register with them.

You don't see the Gay communities lambasting travelers for their blatant homophobia and that gay travelers have the highest suicide rates in Ireland. Then again the gay community are quick to use the bigot terminology as well.

You don't see women's groups lambasting travelers for the violence shown by the men in the traveling communities towards women and children.

Not do you see animal shelters and charities lambast the traveling community for their incredible cruelty towards animals..

because you'll have people like Eileen trotting out the racist shite in a heartbeat and then you have gobshites like Regina Doherty sucking up to her to make her look better. Christ why didnt we get rid of the Seanad when we had a chance. I voted Yes by the way...bunch of tit suckers.

• Advertisement

There's a halting site near me where the skip company have to have a council "liason officer" with them every time they drop or pick up a skip, as the drivers were being threatened, and "accidents" kept happening when they drove in.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That community burned their bridges with Irish society a long time ago

no amount of guff pieces like this ,reports ,studies,findings the odd one who finishes school and goes to college on RTE good news pieces will ever change that now

Eileen is discriminating against a taxi driver's right not to put himself in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Pretty much the same as why the bus drivers won't do the Jobstown run. Don't see many senators shouting racist abuse about that do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think that is the apt comparison.

There is significant discrimination against the travelling community and this must be called out when it happens. This is not an example of it, and doesn't do the just cause of the travelling community any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I wonder who turned this piece of land adjacent to a halting site into a giant dump. And nobody will go clear it, why would they.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/dublin-news/council-plans-to-build-large-wall-in-north-dublin-park-to-tackle-illegal-dumping/42439261.html

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭cal naughton

It's no coincidence that senator Flynn has chosen to highlight this issue now on the first day of a high profile abuse case involving members of her community. Deflection at it's finest.

RTE news : Woman tells court she was raped by grandfather twice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I read that story and I disagree with the taxi driver on one thing.....

.....i still wouldnt have driven her to that halting site after the garda were contacted....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So the taxi driver took the fare and wanted to drop her outside the halting site. i.e. not enter the gated community.

She then refused to pay, he said he was calling the guards then she called the guards and the operator told her she was wasting their time.

She accused him 4 times of committing a crime in the Seanad after been told by the operator there was no crime being committed. She also told the operator that she wouldn't let "any harm come to him". That's a pretty weird thing to say and probably justifies him dropping her at the gate.

Not an ideal situation all round, but there is 2 sides to every story, maybe as a public representative why didn't she ask him why? Have a conversation about it, instead of branding him a racist criminal to the nation.

Taxi Drivers have a tough job as it is and there is a reason a lot of them now seldom work past dark.

He could be a dick, he also could well be just looking out for himself based on past experiences which every person in this country are entitled to do without be labelled criminal racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

The lone taxi driver, or even the lone barman in a small town pub, have nothing to fear from the travelling community.

All those stories you hear are lies ... 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Because victimhood status has real currency and absolutely will not be surrendered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭mikethecop

ive been in and out of halting sites loads of times too , including labra park , and many many things have happened.

she should be prosecuted for misuse of the 999 system if she called that number to try to enforce her nonsense on a sensible working person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Yeah, but the people of jobstown aren't an ethnic minority. It was the biggest mistake ever made by any government giving them that stick .

With rights come responsibilities but everyone is afraid to tell them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

They're white Irish people. What is this ethnic minority?

This is a direct consequence of a phenomenon over the past decade where minorities are told they are both special and victims at the same time - when they are neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

A friend of mine is a retired station captain of a Dublin City Fire Station, he told me himself under no circumstances will they enter a halting site without the Gardai assisting first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That is one of the great mysteries of Irish political life - first in how crazy was the idea to give the public a chance to get rid of a bunch of wafflers. We had an open goal to do so and yet fecked it up and missed from three feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You've some reading to catch up on. They are an ethnic minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Their family tree.....

Advertisement