Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

On the GC-60 in Gran Canaria

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Taking a breather at Ticknock.

Bought a set of stickers for the fork to match the colour of the frame, black stickers on a black fork are a bit boring. Never had money to add a bit of flair to my last MTB. The Marsh Guard is supposed to be sand colour like the frame but it's barely an off white. Need to replace the white zip ties, it's all I had on hand...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Nice spin around Minaun in Waterford today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Work break spin. I'd seen this gate before, bagged it today. Little bit of hike a bike to get to it.

Also saw a heron sunning itself, newly hatched baby ducklings, and a swan that tried to bite me.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

@cletus

Is that the de Burg Estate in Naas?

• Advertisement

It is indeed. Or, more accurately, its outside the de Burgh estate looking in 😁

I'll take any path that gets me off the road

A fantastic morning for a spin, even if it is a little tricky to figure out what to wear when you set out early

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Snow on the Wicklow mountains, looking south from Luggala down towards the Lough Dan valley. Not sure if that's Lugnaquilla or one of the mountains in between

Snow on April 23rd!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I remember my father talking about snow in Wicklow mountains in May 1963.

It was the 5th May, he was in Dublin for the National league final.

That snow may have survived from a proper harsh winter from Christmas to well into March

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

When hillwalking on Maulin yestewrday, snow could be seen clearly on Mullacleevaun so I'd imagine there's still some on Lugnaquilla as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kilkenny Castle...it has a gate so it counts 😁

Gate...

Not gate...

B: Vickerstown

A: Don't tell me, I'll find it!

If you don't recognise this, you have more exploring of Leinster cycleways to enjoy!

Correct on B.

I'll be really quite impressed if you recognise A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

B'stoe taken at the start of Junkers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is technically two bikes (balance bike on the bike)....and another thatch cottage

^ and ^^^

I bet we could do a far better job at nailing all the thatched cottages on the island than any state body, and it would be more interesting than photos of gates.

Not sure if it's fair on the owners/occupiers though, but they may well be used to randomers/ randonneurs being overly nosey, while pretending to catch their breaths.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So are thatched cottages a thing on here now as I've a idea for my route today so!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a thing if you want it to be a thing.

• Advertisement

I think they should be a thing, along with and not replacing, the gate thing.

The great thing about a gate is you never know when you'll see a good one out of the corner of your eye that you never saw before.

Took a spin down around Caragh, Prosperous and Rathcoffey (between Naas and Maynooth) and got a few photos of thatched cottages (some with gates)...

...and this one but I didn't go in...

See, there's the problem with thatched cottages. Seth's after going and fūcking that entire area for the rest of us in one go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It's all nostalgia in a way;farmers, mainly for cost reasons, left wrought iron behind in exchange for steel gates.

You would probably buy a half decent 4m galvanized gate for €150 or so; I'd be afraid to ask for a quote for a rivetted wrought iron gate today.

Likewise with thatch, if done well it's warm and keeps rain out but has downsides; continual maintenance, cost, fire risk and best of all rodent friendly 😄

Anyway here's a photo of one of the last places in Ireland still cutting and saving the reeds. He brings a lot onshore by row boat.

Winter work in marshy ground with hand tools, no place for soft lads.

You could get the one in my last photo!

There are loads more around that neck of the woods anyhow!

Another "thing" I thought of was old non-thatched cottages. I passed quite a few today, most of which had tin roofs but I'd say the houses are in or around two centuries old.

Where abouts is it? I've a few down here in the south of the county in mind.

Where abouts is what?

Ah, sorry. Its on the R409 between Mondello and Caragh, just south of the turn for Éire Óg & Digby Br.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/nvW7nPa4e9YqGJL48

• Advertisement

Organised a group spin to Newgrange and took this somewhere along the road to Duleek, I took this gate pic...

Advertisement