Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

It's hard to know if he can be lured anywhere. He's largely been in Leinster's first choice 23 this season when healthy (all three European knock outs for example), and is developing well and getting good levels of gametime. He'll almost certainly feature again this weekend.

Only scenario I could see him leaving would be if he wants to play 10 and the Leinster coaches don't see him as a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Connacht couldn’t offer Healy what he wanted anymore than Munster could. He was no more likely to get an Irish call up playing for Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Frawley is at an age were he's a veteran. In a pinch he can play out half. Doesn't mean he is. Leo hasn't backed him as an out half.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Healy had previously said that it would be Munster or Scotland for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

Healy is leaving Munster to play international rugby, staying at Munster or moving to Connacht wasn't pushing him any closer to the Irish squad.

Since he announced he was leaving he's actually played for Scotland so he seems to have made the correct decision for himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

I couldn't agree more. So will we see the traditional selection or will we put Jennings in at full back and Forde in the centre. We have nothing to lose. Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gaztric

Dreaming certainly and I know it won't happen, but a certain P. Jackson might be looking for a club quite soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Coming to Connacht would have given.him a shot at the the international team. The way he has played of late would have him in serious consideration. He would have been starting every week for Connacht with the form he's shown.

I'm not saying he'd have come here but it would have been nice to know how he felt earlier and maybe have had a chance. We'll never know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Who’s to say we didn’t offer him a contract or have a conversation? I’m sure Connacht talk to and make offers to plenty of players that we end up not signing that we never hear about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭crinkley

Thankfully would never happen, plus Connacht can't afford to be losing revenue

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

At the time of the announcement of his leaving, it was said plenty of times in the Munster thread that Healy himself insisted that it was either stay in Munster or leave Ireland completely. So he dismissed any move to another province, according to that thread

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS ULSTER RUGBY

Friday 5th May, 19:35 @ Kingspan Stadium

Number/Name/Caps

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (220)

14 .John Porch (78)

13. Tom Farrell (97)

12. Bundee Aki (125)

11. Mack Hansen (26)

10. Jack Carty (193) (C)

9. Caolin Blade (168)

1. Denis Buckley (226)

2. Dave Heffernan (180)

3. Finlay Bealham (187)

4. Josh Murphy (16)

5. Niall Murray (54)

6. Shamus Hurley-Langton (18)

7. Conor Oliver (61)

8. Cian Prendergast (45)

16. Dylan Tierney-Martin (22)

17. Jordan Duggan (38)

18. Jack Aungier (48)

19. Oisín Dowling (42)

20. Jarrad Butler (112)

21. Kieran Marmion (228)

22. Tom Daly (76)

23. Byron Ralston (13)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

Maybe he thought having missed out on so many call up to National Squads and the EI tour to SA that staying in Ireland for another year wasn't an option especially as this is a RWC year, he may have decided that he needed to move now or not at all and his choice has stood to him.

Interesting to see Prendergast at 8 again and SHL at 6. Disappointed that there is no place for Forde or Hawkshaw. Assume Dooley is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I'd have started Butler at 8, with Prendergast at 6, and Hurley Langton on the bench, but happy with the team. Bench looks strong too. A good start is crucial, with discipline throughout a major factor. I know Ulster have more injuries than us, but their team also looks strong. Should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Is Hawkshaw injured? At worst he should be making the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Would have liked to see Shane Jennings on the bench given he has shown ability to come on and massively impact games. Surprised Hawkshaw isn’t involved but he might be injured, rugby must be the only sport in the world where supporters aren’t sure whether a player is available or not….

But looks a team capable of giving Ulster a right battle, let’s hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I'd have Forde/Hawkshaw over Daly as 22 every day of the week. The latter has still not found his form of a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Actually I thought Tom looked pretty good at the Cardiff game, but agree with the wider point that he has not being hitting his standards as of late.

Jennings IMO should be number 23 as well given his impacts over the last few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Well done on the likely starting team, you were almost 100%. You had SHL on the bench and Butler starting - swap those two and you would be spot on.

In relation to people asking about Hawkshaw and whether he's injured, this RTE article only mentions five players as being (long-term) injured - Gavin Thornbury, Conor Fitzgerald, Sean Masterson, Oisin McCormack and Shane Bolton - leaving a pick of 23 players from an available squad of 41, which means that 18 players miss out. Apart from Marmion, he's stuck with his "rule" from before and hasn't picked players who are leaving.

So leaving aside injured and departing players, it looks like the following miss out: Matthew Burke, Peter Dooley, Sam Illo, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Darragh Murray, Paul Boyle, Colm Reilly, Cathal Forde, David Hawkshaw, Shane Jennings, Diarmuid Kilgallen and Oran McNulty.

There's no way Duggan was selected over Dooley if the latter was available, there must be a short-term injury list. I too find the preference for Daly over the CF/DH on the bench odd, but those two have had good seasons and plenty of minutes. Kilgallen is also unlucky. I have no complaints about TOH at 15 for this game, he's put in a good second half of the season, but transitioning in his replacement and helping them organise the defensive shape should be a priority to-do for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Boyle must be injured?

Surely this game deserves a match thread??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

He might be, but the 4 back rows selected have outperformed him over the course of the season anyway imo. Hopefully he can get back to his best next season, he'll have some serious competition from Sean Jansen.

What's your take on Dooley? Been a bit disappointed to be honest, can't really remember a standout game from him this season. I thought he'd be pushing for the Ireland squad with some gametime but he looks like a man who has had his dynamism robbed by injury. The way he moves reminds me a lot of the likes of Jack McGrath, Jordi Murphy, and Eoghan Masterson after severe injury problems.

Post edited by realhorrorshow on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I was thinking the same about Dooley. When it was announced I thought it was a super signing for Connacht. I thought he would pass Buckley as no1 LH and get in the mix for ireland squads. Maybe the summer break and a good pre season will get him back to the form he showed in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Forde has pretty much no exposure at 10. As for Hawkshaw, as I have said, he was the preferred replacement 10 early on which knocked Tom out of the 23. Things have changed where Tom is now the preferred option and I'm not complaining on this selection as I believe it is the right and best choice

Meh, I dunno. Daly is probably the least risk option of the three, but it's knock out rugby, away from home, surely it's the time to take a risk?

Forde to me is probably the best option at 12 of the three players, and Hawkshaw the best option at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

If I read the vibes I believe there is a perception that Daly is considered 2nd to Jack as Hackshaw has slipped down the list. So I don't believe he is least risk but the best current option. And as you say why would you play a least risk player in such a game. That would be pointless. So get used to Tom. I believe he will prove me right

• Advertisement

Yeah, I get what you mean, and clearly Daly is a good pro who if called upon will do a good job.

I just think the other two are more dynamic and more pacey players, who have a better ability to change the course of a game if you needed them from the bench, and that's what I meant by describing Daly as the least risky option.

Advertisement