Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus To Dublin Airport

Options
  • 24-03-2023 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on getting a bus to Dublin Airport next week. Just looking for peoples experiences with Expressway, JJKavanagh and Dublin Coach and if their timetable is fairly accurate please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Absolutely,used Jj kavanaghs last year to go to Dublin Airport,just make sure to book your place online,but no hassle and bang on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Thanks, if I book a return journey and miss the bus would I be able to use the ticket on the next bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭apkmbarry

Normally they'll give preference for people who have booked for the correct time. But if there is space, I don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

I've used JJ Kavanaghs a few times and service is always good. They are on time and you will usually arrive before the scheduled arrival time at Dublin airport if you are travelling at weekend or quieter time of day.

Thanks, I'll book with JJKavanagh's so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Beware if you need to use it at 1am or 3am if you are heading up early for a 6am flight. Everyone else is thinking the same thing! It may not be a pleasant, quiet experience. I turned up at Parnell Street at 1am last summer and there were about 30 people already waiting! I got a seat but before we hit Carlow the bus was almost completely full and this guy was crammed next to me all the way to the Airport..

I have found the normal time services fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,416 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

both services can be very good, timetables included, think both are using the motorway on chunks of the journey now, some more so direct than others, so check times

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I've used the JJ Kavanagh service the last few times I've flown from Dublin. Yes it takes longer but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than fuel and parking costs. Great service

I'm planning on getting the 8.30am bus, my flight is at 3.10pm so I want to have enough time to get through security, have a meal then go through US preclearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,380 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Both JJ Kavanaghs and Expressway very good services, although return journey to Waterford can be quiet slow with traffic etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

did bus Eireann not have more direct express services pre pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think so. They had motorway only services which I think they axed. I find Dublin Coach fairly ok, just a pity you must change at the Red Cow for the airport and if you miss the connection it can mean a wait

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I wouldn't go past Bus Eireann!

i generally always default to them, but its nice to have other options.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I have used the Dublin Coach, very good especially the new double-decker coaches

Agree. My default choice now as they are more comfortable modern coaches. Also can use their app to track in real time. The experience can be hit or miss but it is good value.

They need to look at maybe an hourly service. Not all have to serve cork

I travelled with JJKavanagh in the end, it was 15 mins late leaving Waterford but got to the airport on time. Coming back our flight was a few hours late and we were able to get a much later bus than booked after just missing one but after travelling for around 24 hours at that stage it gave us time to get something to eat so all was fine.

On the journey back it travelled along back roads parallel to the motorway in parts especially in Carlow and we got back to Waterford on time. I'd use this service again.

If only they done late trains back from Dublin after matches/concerts etc

Costs more but prefer getting Train up and Expressway/JJ Kavanaghs home from Dublin. For Airport depending on flight time I'll do Expressway/JJ Kavanaghs return

Might give Dublin Coach ago soon, worried about having to trust a changeover at the Red Cow for Dublin Airport whereas the others you'd have peace of mind as there straight to the Airport

Dublin Express an excellent option from Hueston to Airport

we badly need to expand our rail network, along with extended timetables, we re potentially one of the worst in europe in regards public transport....

I'd love to use public transport more often but it's not reliable a lot of the time.

Vancouver was one of the cities I visited on my recent holiday and the public transport was excellent. Public transport buses were electric and very reliable and frequent - at least every 10 mins. and the skytrains were every couple of minutes and every 90 seconds at rush hour plus it was good value.

We were going to get a taxi to the airport as we had luggage but the receptionist advised us to get the bus from across the road to a skytrain stop then get the skytrain to the airport which we did. The driver seeing our luggage asked if we were going to the airport and when we said we were we didn't have to pay as we'd be getting a ticket at the skytrain station and that also covered the bus. As it was Saturday our total fare was CAD$3.10 each, from 6pm Friday evenings to Monday mornings you're only charged for one travel zone and can travel to zone 2 and 3.

Cyclists have right of way over cars and have wide lanes, there's cyclists everywhere.

• Advertisement

...yup, this is what we need to aim for, but theres no signs of this actually happening, which is extremely worrying, and the fact we have an environmental party in government to, we re in serious trouble.....

At LAX they're building a train system to get people out of cars and using public transport to the airport. Here the Greens just want to force people out of cars and not invest in public infrastructure to enable it.

...yup, and we can all see, it aint gonna work!

Yes the lack of late trains on the Waterford line is getting beyond a joke now. At a very minimum the later service to Carlow should be extended. They really should run to at least mid night-we are lectured daily about “climate change” and emissions. Practical measures the state could support to reduce this and they could not be bothered

It won't change until TDs are made use public transport.

...theres serious fundamental political ideological problems here, we re still stuck in market orientated ideologies, thinking markets will resolve these problems, they simply wont, we need a radical shift in politics before we start getting what we need, and we dont know how to do that!

Great journey by Dublin Coach for me dis morning

Bus broke down just by the naas dual carriageway resulting in a hour long wait for someone to come fix the issue. Missed my connection at red cow for the Airport so had to fork out for a Taxi (who belted it to Terminal 1 god bless the guy). Thankfully after getting on the plane in time

I will not be using Dublin Coach to get to the Airport again. Taxi driver was telling me they load of custom from that particular bus company

theyre unfortunately well known for having an absolutely sh1te fleet, so.....

done Kavanaugh's a couple of weeks ago, flawless from door to door, almost literally, they do multiple city pick ups and drop offs, a lot of the journey via motorway

Advertisement