Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development Pathways

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It’s pretty funny to me that now you want to focus on minutes played.

Whereas with the Tector vs Coughlan argument, you wanted to focus on appearances.

If we apply your Tector-appearance logic to the above I.e. include subs, it amounts to something like:

Munster: 137

Leinster: 114

Again, not being consistent.

Where did I say I was focusing on minutes played?

If you include the numbers both teams have given to their current Academy classes (which should have been in the original dataset), the numbers are:

Munster: 159 total caps, 69 starts, 6,592 minutes

Leinster: 149 total caps, 86 starts, 7,026 minutes.

Where did I say I was focusing on minutes played?

You omitted the sub appearances, only posting minutes and starts.

Why? Because the Munster number was higher.

I’m over this. Munster have been backing young academy graduates all season, and are still getting grief about not backing their players.

Frankly, it’s utter bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

It’s someone who got into something and then decided to just keep digging.

The funniest thing is the whole idea that leinster playing guys early is a sign of their elite development and then the three examples he gave are guys who barely played at all before year three in the academy.

Tong Butler (who I think was the first example of what’s wrong with Munster) is going into year three of Munster academy next year.

Yeah, look you're getting a bit upset in tone now because of your big reveal statement earlier:

So in the last 3 seasons Munster have promoted more players, who have more startsmore subs appearances and more minutes this season, and comparable average mins vs Leinster.

It turns out the only part that was actually true was the more sub appearances.

Frankly, it’s utter bullsh*t

You're right about this part though, I literally don't care anymore.

Denis Leamy effectively came out today and said something along the lines of what I said a few days ago that prompted this whole thing, namely that:

Denis Leamy said developing homegrown talent from within Munster should be the top priority.

...the province’s recruitment focus should focus on reinforcing the pipeline of exciting talent coming the academy

“We’ve got to grow our academy, we’ve got to get our own, we’ve got to get Munster-born players through"

“We see day to day the excellence. I worked with the Leinster academy for two years, a really, really strong production line, world class. I see very similar workings going on, on a daily basis and it gives me great hope that we can start to produce the Munster-born boy and get him into the jersey for 50, 100, 150 caps."

“That is ultimately what we want to do. We want to get indigenous players playing in a Munster jersey.”

Not so controversial when he says it though.

• Advertisement

It turns out the only part that was actually true was the more sub appearances.

Its not. They also have more minutes.

Munster have comparable players promoted, minutes and starts for recent academic graduates as Leinster, whatever way you slice it.

You’re painting this as somehow Munster not backing their players.

It’s bullsh*t.

But, they don't have more minutes. Not when you exclude the SA A friendly game:

Munster: 159 total caps, 69 starts, 6,592 minutes

Leinster: 149 total caps, 86 starts, 7,026 minutes

Leinster actually have considerably more minutes (434) than Munster in this regard.

“recent academic graduates”.

You’ll say academy, Chile etc.

I’ll say SA A, and Leinster’s SA tour etc.

And around and around we go.

No, the best sign of Leinster's elite development versus the other provinces is probably the fact that 50% of the 32 players who made up the Grand Slam winning squad this year were products of the Leinster Academy (versus 15.6% Munster, 12.5% Ulster, 6.3% Connacht and the balance, 15.6% Overseas).

It's probably the fact that Leinster have the highest share of their squad developed from within their own academy (84% - 36 of 43 players) at a time when that squad is a perennial European contender and has topped the URC for well over half a decade - contrast this to Munster where 67% of the squad is academy produced (29 of 43 players), Connacht 46% (21 of 46 players) and Ulster 61% (30 of 49 players).

In fact, in the other provinces, apart from overseas players, the next biggest contributors in every scenario is the Leinster Academy: Munster (5 players - 12% - Carbery, Conway, Patterson, Beirne, Loughman), Connacht (9 players - 20% - Aungier, Dooley, Dowling, Thornbury, J Murphy, Daly, Farrell, Hawkshaw, A Byrne) and Ulster (4 players - 8% - Madigan, Cooney, J Murphy, Moore).

What you should say is you'll skew numbers in whatever way you think is necessary to best support your argument.

You're equating the caps Leinster gave out in actual league games in South Africa (one of which they won btw) to the caps Munster gave in their glorified friendly with South Africa A.

I'm not proposing to include the Chile game, it was a non-competitive game, like the SA A game. You did include SA A in your original numbers, but fail to mention it.

You'll include the last three years of graduates, but surely additionally including the caps given to current Academy players (seeing as we're assessing stats this year) is equally logical?

You keep saying "and around and around we go" or things to that effect, but then you keep posting stuff too, so there is two of us in it in that regard.

• Advertisement

I’ll entertain this…

How many of those 434 minutes came in the SA tour out of interest?

Wait, weren’t you going to explain how much your examples played in year one and two?

Flailing lol.

Yep, about as useful and insightful as all of your contributions on this thread so far, lol.

The most defensive Munster fan on this site is an Ulster fan, who'd have thought it.

This is the kind of nonsense a few of you have tried to perpetuate here: the SA 'tour' was two league games. Two competitive games, with points at stake, one of which Leinster won.

How are minutes played by players in those games less significant than any other?

Those are still development minutes for those players in the Leinster senior team, surrounded by experienced pros. If anything, the Bulls game and the hiding they took down there was probably one of the most important development games for Leinster in years. It showed a load of young players who've only really known success what it's like at a higher level.

Leinster have used current academy players in 21 games this season - meaning there have been only 4 games where an academy player wasn't utilised. The only players in the Leinster academy who didn't get any minutes this season are the long term injured Rory McGuire, current U20 Diarmuid Mangan (injured for the trip to SA), Sean O'Brien (leaving at the end of the season) and Andrew Smith (leaving at end of season).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

You never know! Injuries could scupper anyone off to the world cup.

How are minutes played by players in those games less significant than any other?

The minutes aren’t less significant.

But the reason why Leinster could do this and Munster couldn’t is relevant.

I notice you didn’t answer the question?

Deflections! This is hilarious.

The three paragons of leinster development all seem to have been on the Munster plan all along lol.

Long may this continue lol. This thread is fantastic.

I don't have the numbers to hand; but I imagine they're substantial since Leinster had 9 Academy players playing against the Lions and 12 against Bulls, not to mention recent graduates. If you want them, go and get them, but before you go posting them next time, please make sure they're correct. 😉

But the reason why Leinster could do this and Munster couldn’t is relevant.

Not entirely. As I've shown, Leinster's use of current academy players and recent graduates happens in games all through the year. 21 of 25 games featured academy players - it's in those games all through the year where they earn the right to send a younger squad to SA. In 8 games Leinster used 4 Academy players or more; so this narrative that they just compile numbers during the SA tour isn't the case.

Anyone who watches any rugby should know that Leinster have more minutes available in games where either they don’t absolutely need to win or where the surrounding quality of their players will still let them win. That is so obvious to anyone except people who intend to make a very specific argument that relies on ignoring that.

So the only reason Leinster have more minutes for academy players and recent academy graduates this season is because of “substantial” minutes in 2 games of no consequence to Leinster, where they fielded a 3rd/4th choice squad?

We finally agree, FTD. 👍

• Advertisement

No, we don't.

We agree if we accept your argument that somehow the development minutes in those games don't count, when of course they do.

Leinster manage to give more development minutes to players while simultaneously being the bulk supplier to the national team, winning 90%+ of their games and constantly competing for trophies. Given Leinster are competing on both fronts and stuffed with internationals, it ought to be harder to break into the Leinster team. The Leinster squad is predominantly produced by the Leinster academy (as, incidentally is 12% of the Munster squad, including your best player).

Spin that however you like in a way that you think is favourable to Munster, but I think I've said all there is to say on this topic.

Leinster get credit for cutting a guy who became a world class player after he left?

This is a good time to bail. That’s not a good example of Leinster development. You pick terrible examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Missing the obvious point that while a lot of players are involved with Ireland that leaves gaps needing to be filled by necessity by Academy players.

Comparing apples with oranges.

How many academy players will be involved in the CC and URC knockouts? None I’d guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

True! It's a pity as the young lads gave a good account of themselves.

Even if we grant FTD all the caveats (no SA A game, include Leinster SA tour etc), the Munster cohort of players being discussed still have a higher number of average minutes played this season.

There’s a reason he’s the only poster arguing this side of the coin.

It’s an absurd stance to take this season of all seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

this season of all seasons.

Maybe that's part of the disagreement.

Like, this season is grand but it's a sample size of one.

We won't really know what the current/recent academy output is really like for another couple of years, and we still need to see if it can be maintained and reproduced year after year.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It’s literally not just this season tho.

Look at the list of players that have been promoted over the last 3 years.

You’ve spelled it wrong, syd. It’s Davy Keogh.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Round ball reference there !

Tut Tut mr moderator ;)

Advertisement