Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,914 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The options really are dwindling. Rte going to get caught out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Claire Byrne sees the writing on the wall for the LLS....its on its knees, pure muck...they cant get decent guests...

Resorting to pre recorded interviews, the usual rota of irish Z listers...the format is dead...Tubridy knows it, Claire Byrne knows it...she doesnt want all the bòllex that goes with the Toy Show, extra scrutiny because she is the first female presenter etc....

Keep the cushy number in the morning....i dont blame her...

Bin the LLS...its dead. Tubridy killed it.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,914 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It might survive if they change the format.

Need to cut the running time. Turn it into a tight 90min show.

Can have serious human interest section, but for Jesus sake, try not to make it all about the misery. It's Friday night, people wanna tune in for a bit of craic, a laugh, see a bit of music, the odd light hearted interview. You know, like most chat shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Nearly right- Tubs might have technically killed TLLS but essentially it was in an old folks home and then moved to intensive care for the last 25 years and receiving palitive care for the last 10 or so - but yeah I agree- it should be given a decent burial now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭sporina

come on Sarah Mc woo hoo.. she would be fabbb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If you were a regular on the TV forum LLS thread over the years, we gave fierce criticism of the “misery slot”- it appeared EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

It killed TLLS in my view- Tubridy had the opportunity to revert to the days of LLS greatness and get debate and argument going with both a panel and the audience on the hot topics of the day and he never did- he was way too cautious and controlling.

But in fairness, I don’t think there’s a presenter in Ireland who would have the balls to break the mould and bring this show back to anywhere near its glory days- in addition the A listers don’t really come on TLLS anymore and all the “greats” of Hollywood are pretty much dead now anyway. Whoever does appear is mainly just Z list celebrity - been that way for years- if you appeared once as an extra on Fairly Sh1tty, you’d probably make it to a guest appearance on TLLS 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,267 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If RTE want to freshen it up and bring a new audience in Zamparelli is the obvious choice. The geriatric demographic will have to find there misery somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭lukin

Claire has pulled out? I wouldn't pull out of her 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,303 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I said out the indo said exits the rest is on you, you scamp 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A Listers are generally dull. Norton has three or four of them on and gets a bit of banter out of them,but one on one it's just platitudes.

Plenty of interesting folk out there to interview if they had a bit of imagination and a good interviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Claire Byrne is the most over promoted presenter in the history of RTE.

In my strong view she never had the ability or talent to front the LLS. I think, at very, very best she is remarkably ordinary.

I would have been dismayed if she got the Late Late gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Could never figure out the appeal. She was amateurish on Newstalk, somehow RTE thought to make her their lead political presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Claire Bland out of the running and making out it was her decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭lukin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭MOR316

Aye...She pulled out for those reasons?

And nothing to do with the fact her quiz show is getting an absolute battering in the ratings...

I think RTE is finally seeing that Claire hasn't really got a personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Claire Byrne said early on that she wasn't really interested. In spite of that some posters here had her as a shoo in!

• Advertisement

That was just a public negotiating line these potential presenters or actors usually use.

If she didn't want it, she would have ruled herself out early on.

It seems RTE have seen the reaction to the quiz show and decided to look elsewhere. You can't have someone presenting the Late Late Show who has no personality or charisma.

Hard to be in the running foir any job if you say you're not bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Problem is RTE walked into this by allowing the narrative to be that it had to be a woman that presenter getting the job. This is one if there biggest monetized products. There narrative should have been ''best person, best person, best person '' instead of the narrative that it has to be a woman after after sixty years

It was the same with the Sunday Game, a woman presenter had to get it and we know the mess that created. Every big job now in RTE has to be given to a woman. It must be hard to be an ambitious male presenter at this stage

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

Looks like I was right about Claire Byrne not taking up the LLS, it was too big a risk for her and maybe all the negative social media commentary about her being unsuitable finally made up her mind. She said she was delighted to be associated with the job.

Looks like RTE will have to now drop their unofficial job spec of it having to be a woman. Also probably a good idea to announce that tubridy was leaving so far in advance because it allows people like Claire Byrne to really weigh it up. Daithi , Oliver callan or Patrick kielty now the strong contenders I think. It won't be a woman now ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Has to be Anton Savage, nobody else good available within the country for this format.

Tommy better doing what he does off the cuff, the stiff by the numbers structure the old guard want isn't his thing.

has rtes best presenter john creedon been mentioned?

moncreif or kielty great outsiders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I do not buy the narritive that CB did not take the LLS. It was either indicated to her that she was not getting it after the Ireland Smartest debacle or else RTe have started putting feelers out to other contenders. I agree I think it unlikly to be a woman at this stage unless its a female presenter from outside RTE. I am not sure if Daithi has the experience to carry the show, mainly becase he has been sidelined on the afternoon show for the last few years.

Patrick Kielty will cost them serious dosh . I do not see Oliver Callan getting the chair. I think BOC is still in the running but RTE will have to beg a little bit, with him or Keilty it would be on there terms.

Slava Ukrainii

He has, favourably too. The other two would be good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

My 2c's worth - On Claire Byrne, I think it was in the bag for her up until recently. As I said before, it had been well choreographed up to a few weeks ago and then it started to fall apart based on the new quiz and I also think that (for the first time in history) RTE actually did a little bit of research re where the public were on this on SM.

Claire's statement today (coming late) was a face saving exercise after being told - 'sorry Claire, you're out'

Who ever does get it is one thing but I'm glad that Ryan's career is on the wane. He's still on the gravy train but has been fecked out of the Pullman carriage and now resides in the freight carriage beside the bicycles, trunks and post bags

He winged it for years and made many millions (off our backs) giving very little in return

• Advertisement
Advertisement