Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Rate Expenses

• 28-04-2023 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

My Revenue documents every year have a Flat Rate Exps deduction of 85 euros. I always just clicked to confirm and submit the tax return. But now I just tried to find out exactly what this 85 euros means, and the only matching amount I can see in the Revenue list of Flat Rate Expenses is for tools and uniforms for fitters and mechanics in the motor trade. That is not my job or industry. I have some old tax documents going back over 15 years showing the same amount. I don't know how I first got this allowance as I am sure I would never have asked for it. Years ago before I had an online account, when there was still a local public tax office, I used to just visit in person to review my tax return, so maybe it got added then through a misunderstanding. But my job or industry is not one that could be mistaken for mechanic.

According to the list, there does not appear to be any deduction available for my actual occupation. Is it possible that there was 85 euros available in the past for something relevant to my job and which has since been removed? If I just delete this Flat Rate Expense now for the 2022 tax year, would that sort out the issue, or would there be implications for all my previous tax returns over the years?

My spouse also has a deduction, of a few hundred euros, but in that case the amount is correct for the occupation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Just remove it for the present tax year (2023). It won't keep appearing and Revenue aren't really going to care about the earlier years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭wally1990

I'm going to take an absolute stab In the dark

Did you ever use taxback.ie or taxrebate.ie , (those type of tax back companies)

I wouldn't be shocked if you said yes. They are notorious for claiming flat rate expenses for roles/industries people shouldn't be getting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It is crazy that tax rebate companies are allowed to operate on a commission basis. See what happened recently in the UK thanks to a rogue tax rebate company.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-65398204.amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Back in 2006 I was just randomly assigned the shop assistant FRE - I wasn't and never had been. So Revenue do do some odd things sometimes

The amounts haven't been changed - with a few exceptions where they are to cover known registration fees - in decades and are were meant to be removed (and replaced with a change to the tax credits for everyone) a few years ago; but weren't.

Just remove it now, you'll really not notice that small an amount changing really.

Advertisement