Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

From the courses I've seen, you'll be given pretty much everything you need - but at present you probably wouldn't go far wrong looking at either Java or Python.

ecollege.ie are currerntly offering courses for both Java and Python, and as far as I know they are still free to access. If not, there are plenty of free introductory coures available on the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Anyone doing CUX in DCU? I was successful and I accepted and sent in all paperwork etc but radio silence ever since.

Nothing to tell me start dates or times or log in information..I've tried emailing a few times and no answer either. The course is supposed to be starting on Monday.

Is there someone in Springboard I can contact or is this how they usually operate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 xxccxx1

Anyone else meant to be doing the Certificate in Regulated Investment Funds in MTU?

Paid for it and haven’t heard anything meant to be starting Tuesday. It has been taken off of their website too. Very professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭This is it

If you're starting in the next week or so I'd be calling the college to find out what's happening. I'd have expected emails with course schedules, login for Moodle, etc to be sent by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You don't think that MTU actually exists?

It's formerly Cork IT and Tralee IT merged together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 xxccxx1

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭This is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Bump. Looks like the springboard website is no more and springboardcourses.ie just redirects to the HIA website. Is this the end of Springboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Its working now anyway

Doesn't work for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Robert Nairac

No, just use a different browser. For some reason it re-directs to the HEA website when using some browsers, but works fine on Firefox.

https://springboardcourses.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Just to feedback on this - I’ve just finished a PgDip with TUD and we were told it’s another €3k worth of modules + a dissertation if we want the MSc… this is shocking considered they valued the PgDip so far at €12k (given I paid 1200)…

So while you could be forgiven for expecting it, it’s always worth verifying with the college…

• Start a NFQ Level 7 diploma in DBS in 2 weeks through Springboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Johnny pesco

Doesn't work for me on Firefox. Getting redirected to HEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fminus

Springboard website only works within Ireland. If it thinks you are overseas, it will redirect to the HEA site. Common reason this can happen when you are in Ireland is using a VPN

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fminus

The question asked was “why does Springboard redirect to the HEA website?”. That was the question I was answering.

I am in a Springboard course and we have to intermittently re-register. My class collectively noted that people using VPN’s or people overseas all experienced the redirect to HEA.

So as for your comment on “why would it be up?” I haven’t the slightest notion, but I don’t know any websites that are turned off several months at a time. Usually for this sort of thing site owners just leave a placeholder saying that applications are not currently open.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Johnny pesco

Bit frustrating. Laptop belongs to work, everything probably goes through a VPN.

Is the site currently down until they have courses for the next academic year up?

Any recommendations for Data Analytics or Sustainability courses? I am looking for something with at least 24ECTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JoeLikely

If anyone here is thinking of doing HDID or CUX at DCU I'd say don't bother.

Courses are overly heavy on the theoretic side of UX. Pretty much nothing related to design, pretty much all user research.

Assignments are tedious and overly-long, coming to dissertation length for mid-course assignments!

Some totally unprofessional stuff on group assignments where you have to write written reports on classmates.

I was able to get some online courses Udemy, Pluralsight etc through work and found these far superior.

The only useful thing in this course is the certification, and you'll suffer to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JoeLikely

Just to clarify a bit further on what I posted on the HDID, CUX courses....

I work with UX designers all the time. These courses really don't prepare you for that role.

I'll be looking to take another course after this to learn about design and build up a portfolio, as that's the role I want to pursue.

These courses are only really useful for pursuing a UX researcher career.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,130 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm nearly finished Applied Data Analytics in LYIT. Completely not my thing, but just a few weeks left now, so happy to see it out. Wondering what to do next. Was thinking about doing BER certificate surveys, but I don't come from a trade background, so I'd have to do a 2 year Cert before I get to do a course? Is this right? I like numbers too, maybe accounting or a technician?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭JoeCat

Anyone knows when they will post courses to start in September? It seems that all I see is start date 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Their social media channels just says they'll be released shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

What didn't you like about Applied Data Analytics?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,130 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'd have liked to have spent more time on subjects. We were only about 2 weeks on Tableau, 2 on Talend. Spent a good bit of time on Python, but that subject is a bit in the past, according to others. SQL was interesting, but again, I'd have liked more time at it before moving to Advanced SQL.

The site is back up. Turn off VPN to access it.

The new courses have not been published yet but it says they will be published this month. No specific date given.

A few courses are currently accepting applications.

On Twitter, they are still writing that "we will be announcing the courses in the coming weeks".

What's the hold up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Might be the good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭R11

Anyone do the Digital Marketing and Digital Media Management course in DKIT?? Was it difficult? Interesting?

• Advertisement

It would be good to get a real update from them rather than them just reposting the same comment every month on their Twitter page.

If there is a funding issue then they should just write that rather than leave us poor people waiting for a bus that will never arrive.

Edit: Was in contact with TUD and they told me they are still waiting for confirmation on what courses will be funded/covered under Springboard.

Post edited by Robert Nairac on

Advertisement