Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Yeah. After hearing about that Farce i'd resigned myself to having to pay a fortune or never getting up.

It was meant to go live at 9. Said it was cancelled until about 9:20 but got in then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Super, got the last two ball slot of the week by the skin of my teeth! All gone now for the main course

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

The chipping green in RCD is worth going up 2 hours early for.

Sick I can't make it this year. What a course

I'll be using their really really big chipping green before my round, not teeing off until 5 so will play the other course first

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Is that in between the car park and the clubhouse, or is there another one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Manhatton

I'm heading to Scotland next week to play Carnoustie (the 3 courses) for the first time. Any tips or recommendations lads ?

Just in front of first tee

😂😂

Enjoy, it's literally on an estuary so no protection from the elements, take your medicine and move on if finding the rough

👍👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Why do we love links golf? Well it's something like this : (from article in Irish Golfer)

Dutchman Severiano Prins who, despite marginally missing out on the top 16 in The West :

“My home course is a parkland course and we rarely ever play links golf,” he explained, “and if we do, the conditions are a lot milder and a lot more pleasant than they are here. I really like it though, because you really have to be creative, it’s extremely enjoyable even though I’m now soaked to the skin.

“I’ve played the Irish Amateur a couple of times, I’ve played Old Head and played once in the South, but I’ve never been to the West before, but it’s always tougher conditions than are forecast, it’s always tougher than you think, it’s always colder than you think, the ball never goes as far as you think, the golf courses always play longer than you think, but I love it, I really do.

“I love the challenge, the tougher it is, the more you concentrate and the flipside is that your weaknesses really tend to show through and I really like that because you can get away with things on other courses that you can’t here. I love the course because of its toughness but I’d love to play it with no wind to see how tough it really is.

“I’d really love to make it into the top 16, but I think it looks like I might be a shot shy, and I’ll definitely try to come back in the future if I’m not in the field for tomorrow"

Can I ask those who have been to open weeks previously, what tees do they use?

Think it was equivalent to whites or something. 6900/7000 yards ish. Long enough but you get a bit of run at least

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Anyone know if the European club are running the team comp during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Just after playing in the Social Media Open over the past 4 days. Superbly ran event which is highly recommend.

Played Ballybunion Old/Cashen, Dooks and Tralee.

Tralee was definitely the show stopper for me. Incredible course and I actually think I preferred the flatter front 9. Back 9 is superb of course too.

Dooks and Cashen were enjoyable tracks which you can score round. Expectations for these two weren’t too high so enjoyed both days.

Ballybunion has a massive reputation and for me it seriously under dellivered. Apart from the 7th the front 9 is a non event. Things improve on the back 9 but nowhere to the extent that it could be considered the best course on the island. I’m not sure I’d even have it in my top 10. Maybe because my expectations were so high for it maybe played a part but I was completely underwhelmed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

In Enniscrone this week for our annual 3 day society event. Missed it the last 2 years, so can't wait to get there. Still probably my favourite course that i've played so far (though I haven't played most of the top 10 tbf). Something about it just works for me. Those dunes 👍️

Play the 9hole course, most of the holes are boring flat but you have 2/3 that hit the dunes including a lovely par 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Excellent.

Playing Tuesday at half 10ish. Anyone been in for breakfast pre round and dinner post round? Is it decent? Might aswell make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You'll be lucky to get in.

Very strange arrangement.

• Advertisement

Say what you want about covid lockdowns, but it was great for getting to play some of the "bucket list" courses.

The Island for 80 quid (and what a golf course that is).

St Patrick's for 60 quid (not long open, bit Yankee links for my liking, but amazing value).

Lahinch - free because I knew the cousin of the lad who used to run the clubhouse bar down there.

Dooks - 50 quid on an open.

County Louth/Baltray - think about 50 quid as well.

Was amazing - hearing figures now - that genuinely are chasing the private clubs in America.

Summer golf on the top Links course in Ireland is a thing of the past for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

You are also playing in the Mourne open week. The right thing to do would be to got to there club house and support them as a way of saying thank you for the bargain priced rounded of golf.

As mentioned above the clubhouse in RCD is a bit of the Blazer type with a separate Bar/Dinning area for visitors. By all means stick the head in for a look. Mourne club house is smaller but very much of the friendly locals vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Got out on portmarnock links yesterday to see the new layout. Some big changes around the turn. Very exciting to play a course I know so well and get a completely new experience with the new routing. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭blue note

I don't think it's fully gone yet. In Dublin it's gone. And near Dublin. And in Kerry and Clare. And in NI. But I don't think Sligo / Donegal are fully gone yet. They don't have the same tourism infrastructure that Kerry has, so I'd say the tours will still bring people to Dublin and Kerry primarily. And if they're not full of yanks all summer, they'll see what they can get from the locals. If they can get 300e for an Irish fourball they'll sell a few lines at that rate.

In fairness to those clubs out of reach for Irish golfers now, if you were a member would you want them to do GUI rates? I wouldn't. If the club doesn't need the money, I wouldn't want the timesheet full and me not able to get out last minute because they sold the line for an affordable amount.

@blue note ...I'm not a complete left wing communist...and people don't believe I'm authentic when I post my views on this.

But we are going down a US route of golf culture the way we are going ...introducing likes of Adare and new druids, New Portmarnock Links..the inability to play top Links courses . All new enough developments.

It is not as extreme (yet)..but what I liked about irish golf was , it was a different model around a sporting union ..similar to our other codes...Open events, easy access..whilst raised fees, there was reasonable green fees for people in the same union.

The americanisation of the golf experience with the likes of 4 caddies and whisky on the course ..is just a nonsense in the context of an Irish golf experience..I'm not a complete party pooper and leave them off.

I find the money grabbing attitude in likes of Kerry a bit sick to be honest..lacks a sense of a true, genuine Irish welcome..turning on the show for tourists too, is a bit pathetic to be honest..

I personally wouldn't enjoy being a member, as it would significantly reduce access in key parts of the season ..and you make a reasonable point on the types of pressure the time sheet must be under in summer.

But ...top level golf in Ireland is changing and dancing to another culture ...you just need to be careful what you wish for ..when that culture is not aligned with your own concepts around , sport , community and social outcomes..

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

For the open week at Royal Co. Down next week, does anyone know if you’re obliged to take a caddie/fore-caddie?

I see there’s a general comment on the Royal Co. Down website that a fore-caddie is a “minimum requirement per group”? It probably wouldn’t be any harm, I’m just trying to figure out if I need to pick up any Sterling beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

I would say you have to, seems a general requirement around there but haven't played the open week before. Even not think I would still advise it if you split it by four, especially if you haven't played there before. So many blind shots on the front 9 you'd want someone with you who knows their way around. Sublime course, a real test. Enjoy

Don't need a caddy for open week. Plenty of blind shots though!

• Advertisement

Between 4 a fore caddy is well worth it, bucket list course so why come up short on the day, I'll be going for one

Advertisement