Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asian Recipes

• 14-03-2023 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,

I would love to try more Asian dishes as any time I see them, they look delicious. I'm not sure where to rely on for good, reliable recipes as I don't cook Asian food, but I'd love to start.

I have Googled and found some recipes, but would love to know more, your recommendations etc. I'm particularly interested in Ramen style dishes but I would happily try others. Ideally I'd prefer healthy recipes/dishes.

I'd really appreciate your recommendations as I'm a bit lost with it. I tend to stick to the same old (plain, typical Irish dishes) but really want to branch out and try others.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You're going to need to narrow it down a bit more than "Asian", tbh. That's an entire continent with an incredibly diverse range of cuisines, even within individual countries.

The Irish Times had a lovely looking ramen recipe last week. I haven't tried it yet but it's on my list, maybe give that a go? Wagamama's have also had at least one cookbook and I love their ramen. I'm sure if you give it a Google a few food bloggers will have the recipes up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Asia is a big place, you have to focus on certain regional varieties, but the flavour profiles can overlap.

Learn about the different condiments and how to use them. Soy sauce for salty/umami, vinegars for sour, sugar or honey for sweetness, etc.

Aromatics are ginger, garlic, spring onion, lemongrass etc

Stir frying is a fairly simple technique, you just got to learn temperature control and timing.

So, basically you use vegetables, protein and carbs such as noodles or rice, with the aromatics and varying condiments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We also have The Cooking Club recipes. Have a look through there to see if anything takes your fancy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tim Anderson does great cookbooks for Japanese food. They’re really accessible and you should be able to get most ingredients either in a large supermarket or Asian store.

I once made the mistake of buying a cookbook (Cradle of Flavour) that’s full of really hard-to-find ingredients so I’ve never made a single recipe from it. It’s important to start easy!

Ah thanks, I just bought Japaneasy as the reviews seemed good 👍️

• Advertisement

So, this style of recipe is a Chinese noodle dish rather than the Japanese style ramen, but the ingredients are accessible.

OK, I admit that I have not tried this exact recipe yet, but it's the type of thing I make regularly.

Also, Shaoxing wine (you can use sherry as a sub) is definitely something searching out if you like Chinese food (do you have access to an Asian store @Snowcast ?). You can switch out the beef for any other type of protein, such as chicken, prawn or tofu.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have it and it's great. Plus I've DM'ed Tim on instagram before with a query and he replied, which is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I ended up making the Irish Times ramen for lunch, it was lovely. I would say that the eggs need at least 7 minutes if not 8, my whites weren't even fully set. That doesn't bother me but it makes them fcuking impossible to peel and halve.

Also, be warned, this is only an 8-minute recipe if you already have the chilli oil made, but you can substitute White Mausu peanut rayu for it, which is what I did and it worked perfectly.

https://www.irishtimes.com/food/recipes/2023/02/18/eight-minute-ramen-with-miso-soft-boiled-egg-and-peanut-chilli-sauce/

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Snowcast

Thank you all so much for your replies. I didn't think about how large Asia is when I created this thread, but you're right, I will need to narrow it down. I'll definitely have a look online and check out all your suggestions.

This Ramen looks really great, and it's one I'll try out for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You cant go wrong with cooking a pad thai when starting out with Asian food, once you get it right its a dish you'll always go back to. Its just the perfect balance of sweet, sour Asian shops will have the tamarind paste, just try to get a good one like the Nishaan brand. King prawns go particularly well with pad thai but you can use chicken instead if you want.

One tip I have for Asian food is if you are cooking it once a week it makes sense to chop lots of garlic and ginger in bulk using a mini food processor and then freezing it in portions of a teaspoon of each, Sistema do small pots that are perfect for this. Once you have chopped garlic and ginger always on hand in the freezer it speeds prep up considerably for Asian meals over preparing it for every single meal. Regardless if you are cooking an Indian, Chinese or Thai dish pretty much every recipe you come across will start with garlic and ginger so by having it made ahead of time it cuts down on prep, something Asian cooking takes a lot of.

The School of Wok on Youtube is a good channel if you want to get some ideas for what to cook.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've been getting the big jars of garlic & ginger paste from an Asian supermarket, so handy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Rant:

I can’t handle “Szechuan Peppercorns” 😀

They’re not even peppercorns but flower buds I believe. Gawd….they’re terrible 😀.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Love them. A vital ingredient in 5 spice. Used sparingly, they give a great, "authentic" Chinese flavour.

Used more liberally, you get that lovely mouth numbing sensation 😜

Speaking of 5 spice, I really haven't liked any prepared versions I've tried so I always make up my own fresh. I use star anise, szechuan pepper, clove, cinnamon, black pepper and fennel seeds (I know, that's 6). I just grind up a little as I need it.

@the beer revolu (and other Corkonians) I like the Chinese five spice from the Quay Co-op. Their ground spices are really good there, I find anyway.

I did buy some Sichuan peppercorns awhile back from Jia Jia, but even after grinding, I found them too gritty (like sand)

I tried to infuse them into oil, to extract that numbing effect, which I love. But it didn't work. I may have left them in the back of the cupboard too long :/

I must try making my own 5 spice though. TBR, maybe black peppercorns was your sixth ingredient?

Black peppercorns are in my list. I'd disagree that you should keep 5 spice, ground for up to six months. I always make it fresh. It only takes a couple of minutes,

My attention was taken by a dish linked in the link you provided. Looks really tasty and easy.

https://www.feastingathome.com/lightning-speed-photon-soup/

The frozen dumplings from Jia Jia would come in handy.

Tom yum is one of the things that I have found the prepared versions really good. Paste from a jar added to stock is absolutely delicious and it keeps really well in the fridge. Add whatever you want to it.

https://www.jiajiamarket.com/product-page/cock-brand-tom-yum-hot-and-sour-paste-227g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Some of the classic broths are hard to make, lots and lots of ingredients suited to making GALLONS for the pot. After going to my favourite market in Dublin City centre and basically giving the recipe to the girl working there she explained that they're designed for restaurants or street vendors that make huge vats of them. If I bought all the ingredients for meal for five the stuff would be gone off by the time I made it again.

That's why (I've often wondered) that some of the inhabitants from the poorest countries eat out a lot, more than we do! It's cheaper to go out and eat fresh on the street than to make it yourself because of the volume of product that goes in to the pot and the fact that there's little or no rent.

Take the food ranger for instance on YouTube. (he's very Canadian and enthusiastic) Some of his content is in the poorest & most destitute areas in the world. The food is cooked for the masses. I've travelled a small bit and always wondered why & how poor people eat out so often. It's affordable.

Really interesting food culture subject you've bought up @Snowcast I've looked in to this too. Of course there's a million recipes that are easily home cooked, no denying that and as @the beer revolu mentions (on the ball), there's factories concocting ready made, authentic pre-prepared intensive pastes & mixes that are amazing, traditional & from the country it's derived available in good Asian markets.

Definitely, people seem to eat out a lot more in Asian countries.

Here, eating out is seen as a treat; there, it's just having your dinner.

Even in Singapore which is an expensive country, the hawker centers feed the nation. The food is very, very reasonable and all sections of society seems to extensively use them, either for takeaway or for eating out. I believe many people don't really have kitchens as such at home.

Then, fancy restraunts are really quite expensive. They have a different purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lindy123

@john rambo you say that " there's factories concocting ready made, authentic pre-prepared intensive pastes & mixes that are amazing, traditional & from the country it's derived available in good Asian markets" - for total beginners, do you have any suggestions/tips for brands/shops to look out for ? Thanks!

• Advertisement

Going the pre-mixed paste or spice mix is definitely a good way to get into cooking Asian food at home, more perhaps for Indian sub continent and SE Asia though, rather than Japanese or Chinese maybe?

Spice Tailor sell some nice kits in Tesco.

Advertisement