Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development Pathways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was checking back to see who Leinster had in their squad for the 2015 RWC when they sent two SHs to the RWC, they had just brought in JGP, a project player to replace two non Leinster produced SHs that were representing Ireland along with Conor Murray.

You couldn't make this stuff up, the outrage from a few posters to a suggestion that Munster might look elsewhere for injury cover for Paddy Patterson while we would be missing Murray and Casey as they are more than likely heading the RWC.

Yeah, let's obsess over the one position where there is a good track record of producing international quality players, and blindly ignore the fact the last player who came through the Munster academy to get to 20 Ireland caps is 31-year-old Niall Scannell.

Regale us with tales there Phog of all the Munster produced centres in the past 25+ years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Nobody’s disputing what’s happened over the last 10 years. People are disputing what’s happened and over the last 3, where your position seems to be Munster still don’t back their academy.

People are focusing on 9 because Munster will be missing their 3 starting 9s next season.

If that scenario, where Munster also have backed young players, AND have the lowest number of NIQ players isn’t a good candidate for an NIQ signing, can you tell me what would be?

Genuinely interested in your take on all this syd?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm not touching this thread with a barge pole to be honest. There can be no winners here

It can be summed up as "Munster have gotten much better at player development after some very barren years, Leinster continue to do what they do successfully"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

But my point still stands, promoting X players from the academy might mean these guys are top quality, or it might mean there are gaps in the senior squad that need filling asap.

You won't know what level they're really at until they're a couple of years into their pro career.

That's the case for all provinces, btw.

I don’t blame ya. And the phrase “demographics” hadn’t even surfaced yet….

(Appreciate the comment anyways)

Even if we grant FTD all the caveats (no SA A game, include Leinster SA tour etc), the Munster cohort of players being discussed still have a higher number of average minutes played this season

Want to share your numbers again, because, once again, you're absolutely wrong on the numbers here.

Average minutes for this Leinster cohort: 241 mins

Average minutes for the Munster cohort: 217 mins

Median minutes for Leinster: 133 mins

Median minutes for Munster: 54

And I realised my earlier numbers were omitting a good portion of the Leinster Academy minutes and starts.

The overall numbers are:

Leinster: 98 starts, 186 caps, 8,192 minutes

Munster: 70 starts, 164 caps, 6,716 minutes

Want to share your numbers again, because, once again, you're absolutely wrong on the numbers here.

I was using your numbers.

And dividing by what number?

In any event, these are the correct numbers:

So, once again, the big gotcha statement of:

So in the last 3 seasons Munster have promoted more players, who have more startsmore subs appearances and more minutes this season, and comparable average mins vs Leinster.

Is actually:

In the last 3 seasons Munster have promoted the same amount of players, who have materially less starts (98), materially less total appearances (22) and got significantly less (1,476 minutes) this season, with a materially lower average mins v Leinster.

• Advertisement

If nobody wants to dispute what happens over a longer period, then have a word with Robin there, because on no less than 6 occasions in this thread he's felt the need to make the same point about Munster's exemplary record of producing scrum halves:

So if he wants to discuss that, then surely the record in other positions should be up for discussion too, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Pages and pages of figures and yet I have no idea what the actual point being argued is.

FTD:

Would you mind listing the players you're counting in both of these scenarios as well, please?

Which I DM’d you.

Also FTD:

If you want [the stats], go and get them

Take 2, FTD:

Also FTD:

And I realised my earlier numbers were omitting…

Sound, kid. 👍

I've DM'd you the numbers.

Your original numbers were wrong, so makes sense that if you're using those for the calculation, then the new calculation would also be wrong.

The long and short of it us, do you think Munster have been backing their academy in the last number of years.

I think we know where I and FTD stand on it at this point.

Genuinely interested in other opinions tho. Cos it’s pretty obvious to me.

I can immediately see an issue with your stats, tbh Will post later when I get a chance.

Edit: can.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Your sole example is a player that is getting his chance because Sean Cronin retired, James Tracy retired mid-season, Ronan Kelleher is constantly injured, and I'm not sure what the story is with McElroy, can you fill me in on that? Anyway, as the point I made was no academy players used unless by necessity when players are missing, which is exactly this. You can't seriously suggest McKee would be getting any game time if both Sheehan and Kelleher were fit?

Yeah, but the whole original spark of this debate was a broadly similar scenario in Munster.

In this situation, which was fairly unprecedented, Leinster went and backed the Academy player. They've given him 17 caps this year, 5 starts, and he's played in multiple European knock outs. Because of that, a position that appeared highly concerning when Cronin and Tracy retired now looks much more assured, and he's moving to a senior contract next season.

Leinster could have absolutely made the case to go sign an NIQ medical joker style player when James Tracy retired and Ronan Kelleher had persistent injuries, but instead they gave those minutes to McKee.

That's literally the whole point of what I'm talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

@[Deleted User] - what was your opinion on the general consensus from Leinster fans on this forum (and others) that Leinster needed to make a big NIQ second row signing last year after losing to La Rochelle, despite having three international second rows in Baird, Ryan and McCarthy (mind McCarthy hadn't been capped at that stage IIRC, but was certainly being earmarked for the Summer)?

Somewhat unrelated to the topic at hand but I'm trying to gauge the line between acceptable and non-acceptable NIQ signings, since that seems to be one (of many) point of contention.

Apologies if this is already covered ground but there was a lot of thread to sift through .

• Advertisement

That's also within the context of McKee being a 23 year old who joined the academy last season as an already developed player from Ulster.

What are the hookers signed up for next season when Sheehan and Kelleher (if not injured) will be at the world cup? Will they stick with McElroy, Barron and McKee?

That’s a fair point.

@[Deleted User] if you’re including McKee it only seems fair to include Knox and Patterson for Munster, which aren’t in your stats?

In an effort to get to stats that we both agree on…

Would you rather include or exclude them?

Didn't you sign Tadhg McElroy instead of trusting the academy? He apparently came through the Connacht academy and spent years in England.

Well it's funny you should mention it, but I was critical of the decision to allow Jack Dunne to leave, while signing Jason Jenkins:

Also have to parrot the earlier posters who were lamenting the fact Jack Dunne is leaving. I know he hadn't gotten huge game time over the past two seasons, both as a result of injury problems and the quality of the players in front of him, but we aren't exactly flush with 23-year-old 6ft 8 and 115kg locks, who have an abrasive style to their game, and it's sad to see him going.

For me, it is somewhat un-Leinsterlike to see Dunne leaving, and effectively being replaced by a guy like Jason Jenkins. Jenkins probably had his best game (not a lot to choose from) in a Munster shirt last Friday night in Ravenhill, but I still haven't seen enough to suggest he even gets into a first choice Leinster 23, much less enhance their chances of winning a Champions Cup, so really all you've achieved by swapping Dunne for him is a slight diminution of the playing pool for potential national team selection.

I'm glad to say Jenkins has exceeded expectations, but, no, I wasn't one of those fans clamouring to sign an NIQ.

Somewhat unrelated to the topic at hand but I'm trying to gauge the line between acceptable and non-acceptable NIQ signings, since that seems to be one (of many) point of contention.

On this point, I've said it above, I've no issue whatsoever with high quality NIQs (if budget permits etc). There is a tonne of evidence of the benefits of the recruitment of these guys, and the development benefits they give to younger players.

The NIQ signings that frustrate me are the journeymen. Guys just earning a paycheck, filling a jersey, but literally not really doing anything to help Irish rugby, beyond blocking an Irish player from getting development minutes. There have been plenty of examples of these sort of players too in recent years.

Yeah, nice story, once again - not true though.

John McKee has been part of the Leinster sub-Academy or Academy since July 2020:

What are the hookers signed up for next season when Sheehan and Kelleher (if not injured) will be at the world cup? Will they stick with McElroy, Barron and McKee?

Yeah, I think they likely will. They have Gus McCarthy coming into the Academy (he was on standby for the SA Tour). They clearly have backed McKee, but Barron and McElroy have started games this season too. I wouldn't expect them to sign anyone else.

You're losing credibility by quoting an article that says he was an Ulster schools cup winning captain, that represented Ireland at U19 and U20 before ever moving to Dublin for college, and subsequently got brought into the Leinster academy.

He was already 20 by that stage so I'd say he had already been developed in the Ulster system, and at most you could claim to have added to his development for the last couple of seasons.

So you post something that is just patently wrong, and I'm the one losing credibility?

If you believe a player's development is done by the time they leave school, then I should augment my numbers from yesterday around the number of 'Leinster developed' players in the other provinces to include the following:

Munster: Josh Wycherley, Fineen Wycherley

Connacht: Conor Oliver, Jordan Duggan, Sam Illo, Paul Boyle, Diarmuid Kilgallen, Tiernan O'Halloran

Ulster: Nick Timoney, Eric O'Sullivan, Cormac Izuchukwu, Alan O'Connor, David Shanahan etc.

Of course, this is nonsense. John McKee was no more a pro-ready prospect in July 2020 than Josh Wycherley was when he left Roscrea or Nick Timoney was when he left Blackrock, and the development for those latter two should rightly be attributed to Munster and Ulster.

John McKee entered the Leinster Academy at the exact same point (and age) as the vast majority of players do - you might notice the crop joining this year are almost all 20 year olds, who've left school and started college, and who have just played for the Irish U20s.

• Advertisement

dunno where you get your info JIJ, but its all over the shop ??

John McKee left ulster at 18 years of age, to go to college in UCD. When there he played AIL with Old Belvedere, and signed into the Leinster sub academy in july 2018. He signed an academy year one contract in June 2020, and is currently a year 3 academy player.

so John McKee has had absolutely zero connection with ulster rugby since 2018, over 5 years ago. The kid is only 23 now.

you might need to go check your sources again

Advertisement