Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

mighty win , as we talked about last week our performance was good if you take the errors out of it , we dominated most of the game tonight and probably the goal put a slight gloss at the end , great game , delighted with that win we badly needed it

our full back line was dragged down to thurles and back again last week , we drastically improved at the back tonight , the intensity was pretty much the same as last week we were just much sharper

its a great rivalry clare v limerick and the sight of the limerick green brings out the best and sometimes the worst out of us , world war 3 is what the great ciaran carey calls it !!!!

i never really looked at it that way , if it was knock out them it would be a different story , we had a few questions at the back to answer from the last day we improved ten fold in that department tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Delighted with the performance and the win. Part of me thinks we may have poked a sleeping bear that Waterford threatened to wake up last week but anyway, we take pride in today, stay grounded and try get a good result in two weeks time v Waterford.

Sincere condolences to the family of the sixmilebridge man who passed away at the match.

• Advertisement

wasnt going to comment on the game until i watched it back given such a frantic pace it was played at

to me , tonight is not a shock we played well in open play last week , if we fixed one or two issues at the back we had a super chance tonight , i taught ryan taylor was excellent tonight his grafting and work rate was excellent , what didnt seem so apparent watching the game back was davy fitzgerlds performance ,he was a giant tonight on the 65 he basically directed 80% of our attacks won some amount of dirty ball and scored some huge scores ,his club mate mccarthy was excellent too but really needs to tidy up on the frees

our forwards are savage one of the best forward lines in the country limerick included , to have aaron shannaghar, shane meehan david reidy and ian galvin as options off the bench makes us a serious team this summer , its all about the middle 3rd and half back line we need to get right , kelly was brilliant as was the infamous cathal malone who won some amount of dirty ball , davey mc , conlon and diarmuid ryan were excellent tonight if they maintain that form we could be in for a long summer

adam hogan had an excellent game tonight and the call to replace flanagan for rory hayes looked like the right one , cleary has always got the better of gillane and did a fine job tonight quillagan had a super game , has a longer range with his puck outs then i gave him credit couple of great saves as well

long way to go but the journey has been shortened by a great performance tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Jesus! Any jobs going?!

You were fairly on the money.

I think the blend and form is coming right.

It's a huge win for Clare hurling.

I think ye'll be in the Munster final.

Confidence and momentum is massive when games are coming so thick and fast.

no defiantly not , i could never trust any one that knows about my dossing at work, especially not a tipperary man 😂

i keep saying it ,last week was a really good game , we made several mistakes we sorted them out over the week play at the same tempo you have a chance, the stop watch stuff was brought to my attention in 2019 by a club mate of mine that dose stats for colm collins in the clare football setup

by calculating the amount of time in play you base the standard of the game , that year we beat waterford in walsh park and the same day ye played cork in the paric , there was 6 minutes oof a difference between our gam and your game in terms of ball in possession , ye devoured us in our next game in ennis as a result

i think its going to be tight for munster , i reckon ye will make munster but ye must beat cork , and it wont be easy especially given they will have the waterford game to back them up .id still take 3rd place for us in fairness happily

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭KIB4Life

Aidan’s free taking is very good, but he is not the best long range free taker. From 75 yards in Aidan is fairly deadly, but anything past that he isn’t as accurate. Kelly should take the longer frees and Aidan should take the closer in one’s in my opinion.

Cathal Malone put in some shift I thought as well, won some amount of dirty ball as you said and I thought was harshly penalised by the ref on a few occasions.

malone was fantastic he was under so much pressure wining dirty balll and dominated midfield , he is so important to this team , allowes the likes of taylor kelly and fitz to go and do what they want as a result , o'donnell was excellent in the grafting stakes too

i watched the game back when i came home last night with a fried egg on my face , i taught colm lyons screwed us but watching it back it was totally 50/50 in my opinion , he's interpretation of the frontal charge is what buggs me the most , lets look at it the right way , both teams got away with throwing the ball , both teams got away with blocking players on the run the hurl over the shoulder is a big thing with him also ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Good win for the Minor hurlers last night. A few nice prospects coming up. Munster Final next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

A few comments on the game from Last Saturday. Great win and a fine performance. Full of all the good things about Clare hurling. Grit,physicality, defiance and laced with skill and good scores. All positives.

However I'd caution against hubris. We as a county are as guilty of it as any. Limerick weren't at their best. They ll improve and I would like to avoid them if possible. Will this be our peak this Summer or can we sustain this performance. The Waterford game is no more than a 50/50 for me unless Daby sabotages them like he used to when Wexford played Clare.

We are one or two injuries away from calamity. We don't have the ability to survive without a Kelly or a Conlon or a Cleary. We vouldnt do what Limerick did last year without Lynch.

So by all means let's bask in that huge victory on Shannonside but let's not lose the run of ourselves like last year

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Very impressed with Michael Collins, gunning the two hergeartys last night again huge potential in that squad

Agreed, as exciting as the game was it was played very loosely, lots of space being given by both sides especially Limerick which is unusual for them there first half performance was also poor by their own high standards set over the last 5 years,

We probably should have been a few points ahead at half time but for some dreadfully poor wides , 3 or 4 we were under no pressure whatsoever

Same level of intensity will be required for the Waterford game or we will be back behind the 8 ball again

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Yes they are a nicely balanced team with plenty of really neat hurlers, Collins and Gunning sheer class, a Munster title would be huge, Rebels will be out for revenge after Sixmilebridge loss and will be a mighty obstacle, losers with play Galway or Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

All the very best of luck to the Clare squad for the Munster Final.

It's a mammoth task going in against the All Ireland champions, but it's great to see these players and manager getting their moment in the sun. The absolute fanatic level of effort that Collins has but into this job will never be understood or appreciated. He described it as his dream job. Some of the players have been with him from the outset. He brought Jamie Malone and Russell in from underage and what players they are now, both around the 30 mark I would guess. The war horse Cathal O Connor has been with him from day one as well. I really hope Clare Gaa people come out and give them the support they deserve Sunday. Ticket prices are severe and the weather doesn't look great, but these lads deserve a bit of a banner roar. I for one will be proud and delighted for them when they walk behind the band Sunday. In reality it is David v Goliath. Kerry have a full county of footballers to pick from and an amazing tradition, Clare are battling for numbers in a "hurling county" and have lost numerous players to the hurlers. But one thing you can be sure of is that they will leave it all on the field where that takes them who knows, but I hope they get decent support Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭KIB4Life

Yeah definitely gonna be a big task. The only thing is that Clare can give it a free shot. To be honest we have a fairly decent defence and a decent enough defensive structure at the moment.

Also quite strong around Midfield even though Darragh Bohannan is out for the game who will be a big loss. In the likes of Keelan Sexton, Eoin Cleary and Emmet McMahon we have three top level, Division 1 standard of forwards, so these lads definitely can cause Kerry problems.

Cian O’Dea is back to take his place on the bench and young Brian Mc from Cooraclare is eligible to play after the U20’s we’re knocked out, so not the weakest bench either to have the likes of them two coming on.

I don’t think Sunday should define Clare season to be honest we have at least three more games coming up. If we lose we will be facing three Ulster teams in more then likely Derry, who would probably beat us by more than what Kerry would, we struggle against them, but Donegal and Monaghan I feel would be hugely winnable games, so hopefully a good summer to look forward for both the footballers and hurlers.

Regards the losing numerous players to the hurling panel I wouldn’t necessarily agree with that statement there is only about 3 or 4 in the hurling panel that I would believe to be on county football standards in Shane Meehan, Aaron Fitzgerald, Conor Cleary and Aidan McCarthy. We have more than enough decent quality football only players and clubs to be competitive which we certainly are doing at the moment.

if you take kerrys championship form year on year , they usally surpass the 20 point mark in most of there games , i think the dublin game in the semi final is the only one that they didnt cross that line,

only once this year have we surpassed this tally and that was a dead rubber against limerick in the league ,like the u20s a couple of weeks ago we will need goals to stay in the game , we also need to replicate the intensity showing in the dublin game in croke park to have any sort of chance

in the build up to the game 92 is never far away from the conversation, but back then kerry were there for the taking , a really close shave in the 1991 munster final followed a heavy beating by down in the all ireland semi final , in 92 another close shave against limerick in the gaelic grounds was the warning signs that this team was there for the taking

i see very little similarities between the kerry team of 92 and the current all ireland champions , between o'shea and the two cliffords they average 13 points a game , not to mention the likes of tom osullivan and gavin white will contribute from the back ,barry dan osullivan, killian spillane dylan geaney are all excellent forwards on the bench if they are struggling too we need to be kicking a target of 1-17 and upwards to have a chance

my only hope is at times during the league they struggled against teams of a simular nature to us , especially roscommon and armagh at home two teams we have had great battles with over the last few years

its a big big ask but its a free shot at the all ireland champions hopfully we do ourselves justice in our performance

agree with this post , the hurling county thing cant be emphasized enough, any good hurler from 17s level upwards is training with the hurlers , if they dont make it afterward and have a few good championships then they usually make the footballers , we have 30 clubs playing football in the leagues this year , id go so far as to say half of them are amalgamated underage and if any of them under age players are good hurlers then they will be in the hurling development squad

kerry have a top schools program in place , a top development structure underage, a top club championship system that brings the best players in the county to play at the top level year on year . a championship thats designed towards the intercounty team, i feel in future the county board could and should take a leaf out of there book when it comes to the club scene

you cant underestimate the presence of donal moloney in my opinion as coach , we are lucky with himself and fahey from killenena to have two really top under age coachs ,like for example michael collins's father is a kilmurry ibrickane man who never hurled in his life , hes father owen was a fantastic half back for them but no hurler

fingers nephew, david and fergals sons along with michaels lad from the bridge theres great pedigree to this team in fairness

• Advertisement

RIP to the champ , Gabriel Moylan one of the great characters around the town and one of clare hurling's biggest supporters , no mater how good or bad things were going in the county he was always drumming up support

a great man to fundraise too a character in a county of characters he wasn't the champ he was the king , up the banner champ , surprised to here he was 78 he was a much younger man in all senses of the world , possibly clare's greatest supporter rest in peace good man . your hero good friend and club mate ,Anthony daly will always remember you as the true champ!!

in my opinion this game should not go ahead as planned tomorrow , sincere condolences to the family rest in peace ellen

What a pathetic performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

A lot of basic mistakes , never gonna get away with those against a top team like Kerry.

I was amazed how easy Kerry found space so close to the Clare goals

Kerry fisted two or three goal chances over the bar, plus Clifford was unlucky not to be given advantage for his goal which was called back. Could have been even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Kerry at Class, they do everything with Pace and intent. We were much more basic and limited and lacked pace at times. The mistakes in the first 15 minutes and the missed chances cost about 5 points early on. Never got a grip at midfield.

disappointed with then concession of 5 goals again , we learned nothing from the all ireland 1/4 final last year , we are too tame in our defensive approach ,but kerry were on a mission today for obvious reasons and they made sure of it , we couldnt cope with there power running and pace in the first half

clifford kicked 2-6 and put in a storming performance , its incredible to think both himself and his brother lined out today in such circumstance

in terms of turnovers won it was kerry 20 clare 17 , wides kerry 8 clare 10 , kick outs kerry 23/25 clare 25/27 but the most damming stat of all ,scores from play kerry 5-05 clare 0-7 thats just too much i am afraid and the one area we need it drastically improve on if we have any plans of continuing at this level

It would also help if players were picked on form and not because they have a clubman as selector. The constant selection of a certain forward is ridiculous as was the attempt to jettison in a goalkeeper from the same club at the beginning of the year over Stephen Ryan, indeed Ryan was probably Clares best player today. That obviously wasn't the issue today. We always seem to buckle and make errors at the sight of the Kerry jersey.

i take it your talking about dermot coughlin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Can't imagine Colm Collins is too pleased with the lack of defending on a number of those goals and basically killed by giving away possession under no pressure at times. I'd still give Clare a decent chance of beating out of sorts Donegal in Ennis next and win there would likely mean at least a knock out game against a 2nd place team.

• Advertisement

funny enough we played well for most parts of the game , but the defensive structure fell apart ,normally we play an arc across the D and smother whoever enters it , to day we had 2 and 3 players from that arc following their men out to the sideline and creating huge space and over laps in the middle of our defence , it happened against meath in the league and it happened against derry in croke park last year and players have not learned yet , i was criticall of stephan ryan for the 3 rd goal , but after watching it back tonight it was a superb goal , kerry were brilliant today in fairness

feel sorry for colm he deserves a better performance then that but on a positive side of things , the players stuck to the task regardless of the score , the supporters stayed with them its a great change of attitude from years past , munster under 20 semi final tomorrow night , munster minor final tuesday night , waterford the weekend , donegal in the park in 2 weeks time , everything looks to be in tandem at the moment and that can only bring long term success

Advertisement