Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

AFAIK Waterford travelling all the way to Down for Round 1 with Meath visiting Dungarvan in Round 2 and in Round 3 its Tipperary in a neutral ground (prob be in Cork)

Very true and were in for some misrible time in the our next 2 games if 'these players' throw in the towel like we have seen in the past in the Munster Round Robin (2019 vs Limerick, 2022 vs Clare). The worst thing that could happen is we see 'drop outs' losing some 'quality' players.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

This is basically it bottom line is maybe these players are not as good as they think they are . We have had a stronger 1/15 team out then for a generation but to be honest the best of the best Ken mcgrath , Tony Browne , Mullane were better then the best now back then we just didn’t have enough of them . We need to find these rare nuggets if we are ever again in our lifetimes break the curse of Waterford senior hurling .

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'm surprised people seem to think we have no puck out strategy. It's very clear from watching the league and championship so far we do. We go into these rigid shapes out field. It didn't happen last week but previously the goalkeeper would indicate with his arms and hurley and the players would move accordingly.

Though equally clear is that it doesn't work. For one, both Billy Nolan and Shaun O Brien deliberately take as long as they can before the puck out. Why is hard to say as our best chance of winning one is doing it quick and there were a number of opportunities to do so but Billy never seemed interested in taking them. To me that's him being instructed as it's not something I saw in him before. Look at Ballygunner in contrast who also don't have ball winners. Sokky will have a picture in his head when the ball goes dead so that if a quick one is on he can find it.

We were beaten all ends up on Sunday. I would feel two of the starters are just not at this level and another isn't up to the position he played but might be able to play elsewhere. However if we had to have won some Puck outs it would have made a huge difference. By the end some of our lads weren't even facing the right direction for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

How did it all go so wrong. It's not as if the squad had a rushed preparation.

Injuries to Tadgh and Irlaith Daly were setbacks but that happens to other counties too. Kiely picking up an injury early on didn't help the cause on Sunday. What's the story with Aussie .... doesn't look fit at all but still hard to leave out even at that.

• Advertisement

We are very very clearly over coached. Think back to last year in the league. When the likes of Stephen Bennett would pick up a ball he would immediately have 2/3 runners off his shoulder. Jamie Barron went on two runs last weekend where no support ever got near him and he tried to run around Cork players who just had to keep him outside. How many occasions did we pass the ball laterally, less than ten yards to a player who wasn't even free? And some of those passes were without any conviction which shows to me that any sense of ambition, freedom or attacking spirit was lost due to over coaching.

Limerick obviously play with a structure, all teams do. Even the old nonsense about Cody doesn't do tactics was a joke as proved by all the autobiographies of ex Kilkenny players. However Kinnerck does not implement "drills" in training, everything revolves around small sided games to promote decision making. Again this appears to be the opposite of what we have done, we're rigid and rudderless with the ball, totally unsure of what we should be doing. If you don't allow players to make their own decisions in training how can you expect them to do it in a match?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I’d have to agree with that. Our decision making is awful and seems to be the result of over coaching and basically… heads being melted? Davy spoke on newstalk yesterday about being 4 months into the job and that’s fair enough but you can’t go backwards to hopefully go forwards at inter county level. Even on puck outs, when players actually made good runs, Billy hesitated as if it wasn’t the plan and then hit it too late. When Prunty was free and open, he didn’t play it to him and hit a long one straight to a cork lad. When Aussie had a sideline and didn’t want to go for the shot, there was no decent movement and he hit an aimless ball into the square and there was nobody even near it. The dead ball restarts tell you that they are a very confused bunch of players.

I’m scratching my head like many are. I think the players did try and Jack Prendergast in particular gave it all.

Let’s hope we get a great performance the next day. It’s sad to think that we’re hoping for optimism for next year but it feels like that’s what we are facing. Even though we’re not out yet. Let’s hope we win the next day and at least have a chance on paper. I’d like to be going into the Tipp game at least having a chance and have some bit of excitement on the day if we’re going well and keeping an eye on other score updates.

Kiely out for next 2 games (for the season more than likely). Desperately unlucky for him and Waterford. I wonder if Fitzgibbon cup took to a lot out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I wonder if he did unnecessary damage by staying on the field way too long. (After injury)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

People will stop at nothing to make excuses for these guys. if you think only 2 of the starters are not at this level you’re deluded. They’ve had plenty of chances to prove themselves many of the same guys downed tools under Fanning then Cahill are still there

As for this theory that they’re overtrained again is laughable. Even Some of our key players are out of shape comparison to lads coming off the bench for Limerick

• Advertisement

Maybe more than two aren't at the level. I'm only referring to two that in my mind clearly aren't. Most of the rest have won a league or underage medals though. I can't see where I made any excuses for any of them though.

As for your second point I couldn't disagree more even though you appear to be confusing over coaching with over training. If you listened to Jamie Barron's interview before the championship he detailed how much time is spent on video review etc. Things like walk throughs of scenarios like puck outs are perfect examples of coaching where no conditioning is being undertaken. We have over done all this. Watch when a ball comes into our defence and beats the first two players contesting it. Numerous times a Waterford player could have got to it first but he's so programmed he can't act on instinct and instead waits for his opponent to run. The very same happened with Wexford in Davy's last year.

As I presume everyone knows Austin injured his hamstring against Tipp and was back training briefly before getting injured again so he has very little done for the last 2 months. Who else isn't in shape? I can't see anyone who's body shape is wrong. But as I said previously I see a whole bunch of players stuck to the ground when a guy like Peter Hogan who missed the entire pre season because of Ballygunner and injury is moving well.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Some of the early puckouts left me really scratching my head. The forwards withdrew in close to the goal and the rest spread to the wings opening up an immense ocean of space in the middle of the field. Nolan hit it into this space and it was usually a cork half back running into the space that won the puckout, or knocked it into a favourable position for a team mate.

I was in the BlackRock terrace so I thought maybe I'm missing something but I think you've put your finger on it with over coaching and a stifling of instinct. It seemed like they had intricate setup plans and very poor execution on them.

I would sas that, for the first half anyway, Prunty and Mark Fitz did an immense job of locking down hoggie and harnedy...very instinctive play from them...stuck to them like glue. The cork defense was also very good though, it wasn't just bad luck that denied our goals.

I wouldn't put much fault on Conor Gleeson (though he should have been sent off for a second yellow), Prunty or Mark Fitzgerald. All three were totally under the pump and when you have good Cork players looking up and able to put the ball in space to favour their men those three lads were on a hiding to nothing.

Though I feel Mark Fitzgerald would actually be better deployed at centre back. Calum Lyons is a fine player but he can't get forward as much from there. And I don't think Darragh Lyons is good enough as a half back or midfielder. I think he could do a job in the full back line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

From where I was on Sunday, Austin Gleeson even warming up didn’t look as if he was moving 100%. How many times has he played when not fully fit over the last 10 years? I can’t remember too many years where he hasn’t carried some sort of injury or there’s not been a doubt about him coming into the Championship. I’d say probably 2016 when he won HOTY was the only proper run he had for a full year for club and county. The fact he’s in his 10th season as well and we’re further from any sort of a trophy now than we were when he came into the senior panel is quite depressing.

10 years, 4 managers later and we’re still trying to crack the code. 2017 was our year and I don’t see us getting any closer for a long time. The worrying underage structures/results aren’t encouraging at all and sadly it looks like Austin Gleeson and Jamie Barron are going to join the greats of Ken, Tony Browne, Flynner, Moran, Mullane and Dan as being some of our best ever not to get an All Ireland medal.

At the end of this campaign, I imagine a number of players (including the class of 2013/16) will be considering their futures. Some might feel it's not worth the grief and call it a day.

Will be travelling to Thurles with some trepidation. With a Waterford side depleted with injuries and low morale coming up against Clare on a high, it might be a long evening. Lohan won't be showing any mercy to Waterford / Davy. Will be away for the Tipperary match so might be spared further humiliation ; it will all depend on how many points Tipp have at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Going to regret 2017 with my last breathe on earth never being so confident in build up this was it . Was already looking forward to all Ireland winning merchandise , I had a perfect seat lower level opposite middle of pitch . I sat there shocked for ten seconds when it was over and ran out of the place couldn’t look at our Devasted players . When I think back on Offaly , Clare , Wexford getting their chances and getting it done presumingly if the season plays out as expected, something seriously has to change with Waterford hurling it might take a while but Jesus start the process!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Figerty

With Score difference a factor now, no team can afford to run out of the subs for a few minutes or to take the foot off the gas. For Clare, the last goal against Tipp in Ennis was huge in bringing the score difference down. If you have one thing going for you now, it's simply that Davy cannot afford to play a sweeper, he has to go toe to toe with Clare and go for it. No sweepers etc, unless he wants a respectable defeat.. that's not unknown to him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Are Waterford ie Davy just over complicating things. with all these tactics .

As a Limerick fan if they had played man to man against Limerick they may well have won but instead Waterford seemed to be playing not to lose by much rather than playing to win. The less said about Waterfords tactics l Cork the better , mad stuff. At least if your to lose go out and have a cut off Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Over on the Clare forum they are on about needing to put up a big score on us because they are worried qualification could come down to score difference at the end of the day. They must be taking beating us as a foregone conclusion! Jesus are the rest of Munster now looking at us as the whipping boys. How the f### has it come to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5948ai

I was at the Clare-Kk AI semi final last year. I think a lot of the same personnel are still there, so I certainly don't think them thinking they'll hammer us is a foregone conclusion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Given what we witnessed last wk v cork a hammering is definitely on the cards……last year in Ennis was every bit as bad as last Sunday and given how they (Clare) played v limerick we could well be in for a torrid time😡

Does anyone know for sure what happens in the event of 3 or more teams finishing level on points? One podcast said that it goes to scoring difference but only between the teams that are level on points. If this was the case then really scores against us are irrelevant. Though I haven't seen the rules on this, just heard it referred to on the examiner podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Head to head is just with 2 teams level. It goes to scoring difference with 3 teams or more. Like If they all had 4 points then they get ranked in scoring difference. Scores against Waterford are very relevant as it will put their difference down. It would be the total difference from all the matches played in the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

In Munster it's score difference from all matches. For Leinster it's only for the matches between the teams on equal points. I really like the change for Leinster and think it should be adopted in Munster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cbwfd

The whole imbalance between the Leinster and Munster championship structures isn't spoke about enough too. It's a bit of sour grapes and we are not good enough to get out of munster at the moment anyway but we'd still more than likely coast through Leinster to the All-Ireland series every year if swapped with Wexford for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

With the round robin in Munster and Leinster we're playing the league twice at this stage.

Would much prefer to scrap the league, play off the provincials at that time of year instead. Then for the Championship, use the provincial finishing order to seed 4 groups of 4 teams like the Champions League, with the top two in each group going to straight knockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Interesting extract from article by Maurice Brosnan in today's Examiner:

"Our puckout win ratio for the last number of years hasn’t been good,” Davy Fitzgerald told WLR last February. “Well under 40%. We have to try and get more in that area.” Waterford have actually been closer to 50% than 40% over the past four years but it was clearly an area their new manager identified as needing attention and explains why he was keen to entice Stephen O'Keeffe back into the fold. 

It is also the most alarming stat from their disappointing showing against Cork on Sunday. The raw numbers are stark. Cork won 25 of their own 28 puckouts and scored 0-13 in total. They conceded 0-2. Waterford won 19 of 39 puckouts and scored 0-7. They also conceded 0-7.

The difference in returns was greater than the difference in scores between the teams at the end. It’s not rocket science but it appears to be beyond Davy.

Excellent suggestion by Ropaire to replace the current National Hurling League with the provincial championships run off on a league basis. The provincial champions could play each other for the National Hurling League title. However, I would then have just two groups of five in the All-Ireland series, with the first, third and fifth from the Munster championship in one group along with the second and fourth from Leinster and the other way around in the other group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

Amalgamate the league and championship into a 12 team league, with a separate straight knockout Cup competition based on the provincial system.

Simple, obvious, and fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5948ai

Current format is less equitable than what was there previously. New format could end up killing the game for the weaker team in Munster with supporters tuning out over time. GAA should be trying to expand the game which the back door did. Current system contracts it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Watching this cork and Tipp game it’s sickening to think we had Liam cahill and left him go. Tipp look impressive

Advertisement