Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand trailed mower

Options
  • 05-05-2023 7:31am

Looking for an older trailed mower, 8ft would be my aim. Going to be used on an 80hp tractor. Not interested in spending massive money as it will only mow about 40 acres silage a year, and contractors can't be expected to come when I call for such small acres specially when it's broke into a number of small fields.

Any recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I do much less than that in silage and I have no bother getting my contractor to call and my biggest field is 5 acres. I give him plenty of notice of when I am expecting to cut and in fairness he is usually pretty much on time with when he says.

Anyway for the mower you probably won't go wrong with a JD 1350/1355 or a Kuhn FC 250. They are pricy though and probably making more than a 10' in similar condition due to the fact that they were never popular with contractors. Might pick up a Taarup or similar for less money but probably not the same standard of mower IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Had nothing but Taarup/Kverneland. 306, 336, 338 and 4027. Later two are still here. Only ever bother is with the shaft to the bed. Awkward to get to grease and it fails from time to time. Get in there with grease and check the bolts are tight it will be fine. Never an issue with the bed in them. Nice 336 will be hard found now but if you do, buy it.

Thanks, was just looking at this earlier, bit of a journey though.

https://www.donedeal.ie/silageharvesters-for-sale/mower/33829501

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

If it is as good as stated and the bed is good then it would be worth the trip. Won't lose much at that price.

Are you baling or lifting? Any reason in particular for an 8ft? If you are doing bales a 10ft leaves a better sward for the baler pickup.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Just want the option of putting it on the zetor 90hp. Have a 10 foot semi trailed fella sm310, it's hard run and a dog of a yoke on the backend of a tractor, jd6800 runs it but I can't wait to see the back of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Why trailed? Have a mounted 9 foot flat mower here on 90hp and run it on 540 eco .. moves very well with minimum diesel burnt. I also tedd everything so I've really no need for a conditioner

Just not fond of mounted mowers, specially on uneven ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Never used our seen the job the new type pottinger do so, with the hydraulic self leveling ram and the arrow indicators for helping leveling the bed you couldn't get a better mower for uneven ground we are on the hills here and it's the only mower to be using

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Wouldn’t take a gift of a mounted conditioner mower unless it came with a big heavy tractor. Terrible things for the cross shaft and linkage of tractors. As good as some of the new ones are to follow the ground, go into a hallow, it doesn’t have the time to react. Trailed is so superior in following the ground. It’s no contest. Much nice to follow with a baler as well. Mounted can’t cut corners right at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

1+ on the trailed. I’ve a 10ft. Was advised to buy 8ft as I’ve only 100hp. Decided to go for the bigger one as if I ever upgraded the tractor I don’t want to be upgrading the mower too. She cuts away grand as long as you take it nice and handy.

• Advertisement

10hp per ft is the convention, but some mowers have a lesser stated power requirement. I think Kuhn and Pottinger now state 75hp for their 10ft trailed, JD 1365 is 90hp whereas Malone are 100hp for their 10ft.

Really depends on your ground, but if levelish and you don't force it then you'd probably be okay with a 10ft. Is your tractor 80hp or 90hp - first post states 80hp, but you later say its a 90hp Zetor? 80hp would be light for running a moco in heavy first cut silage.

Are you lifting yourself or does a contractor do that? Could you get away with just getting a mower (minus conditioner) and let them rake it up before lifting?

At the lower end of the mower market you'd need to have your wits about you when buying.

It's an 8641, around 90 hp. Baling it myself, also have JD6800. The plan was to get a mower that would go on either tractor, also planned on getting a rake to bring 2 into one so a conditioner is not a must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭older by the day

Jay's if that's only 555 I would be very surprised. You would hardly get the drives for that. Its worth spreading a bit on a mower as you don't want a troublesome thing that would vibrate you off the tractor. The 8ft trailed is grand and tidy. But if you are only spending small money I think an 8ft on the arms is what you will be getting

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

A neighbor here maintains never buy at mower from the west due to type of ground. Good chance it may have been cutting in very stoney land.

If you are planning on getting a rake a non conditioner mower is an option - it will come cheaper to you and be easier run. What are you looking to spend on a mower - got a budget?

You looking at a single or twin rotor rake?

Not sure, I've been told a single rotor are not a great yoke for making an even row. Hoping 4k would get a reliable mower. Neighbouring farmer mention a man called Acheson in limerick, will give him a call in morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

He's not wrong. Quick look at the bed will tell you, if there's big gouges and nicks then she's had a tough life.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I think a mower is one of them machines you have to buy new. I see on IFJ lately Krone are doing interest free loans payment. I think it would be the route I'd go if I was changing.

The 0% finance deal ended 28th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

No such thing as a free lunch. They’re priced accordingly I believe. Recent Thread from a different forum

https://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?threads/best-mower-to-buy.22428/

Advertisement