Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group McMillan training for Dunshaughlin 10k with LeCheile 5k to chart progress

• 05-04-2023 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, we've done this before but it goes back a number of years to the time of Meno & Claralara. We met once a week in Marlay Park to tackle the McMillan 10k program, see below.

The aim would be to start the week of April 24th or the 17th if we felt we needed a bridge week before starting, STH like 6x1k.

The target is Dunshaughlin 10k on June 17th and along the way we could have a 5k tester at LeCheile 5k on May 19th

I'd suggest Thursdays at 6pm in Marlay but also Thursday 9:30am might work also. It may not suit everyone but we could incorporate a virtual element to it.

What do you think, any other suggestions?

WEEK KEY WORKOUT & NOTES

1. 6 x 1M 3-minute jog between 1M repeats

2. 10-12 x 400m Run the 400m repeats at 5K race pace; 200m jog between

3. 2M + 4 x 1M 5-minute jog between 2M repeats, 3-minute jog between 1M repeats

4. 3M Tempo Run or 5K Race One simple prediction method is to double your 5K time & add 1 minute to get your 10K time. Are you on track for your goal 10K time?

5. 2 x 2M + 2 x 1M 5-minute jog between 2M repeats, 3-minute jog between 1M repeats

6. 20-24 x 200m Run the 200m repeats at 5K race pace; 200m jog between

7. 3 x 2M Run the 200m repeats at 5K race pace; 200m jog between

8. RACE: 10K

Post edited by Wottle on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Will it be fine to dip in and out of the odd session?

I'm currently targeting La Cheile, then switching to 10k after that, Dunshaughlin the aim.

Can't commit to the full schedule but wouldn't mind joining some evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Absolutely, flexibility and teamwork being the main advantages

Meeting at Marlay House carpark this evening at 5:50pm.

Starting a week early with 3 to 4x1 mile at 10k effort.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Probably too early for me this evening, will be in work until close to six today.

Welcome any Thursday if it suits. I'd love to do it later but I've work straight after.

Some are using the sessions to target your club race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ah, the old McMillan 10k plan! Happy memories - though maybe not of the last session. I also found that jumping in to 6x 1 mile was tough that first week so I tried to do either 6x1k the week before or 4x1mile.

Enjoy.

Thanks Itziger, I re-read the whole thread, you've been very helpful throughout.

I've modified it slightly for Terenure 5 miler. We did 3x1 mile on Thursday.

This coming Thursday is 1x2mile followed by 2x1 mile.

Following week 2x2 mile.

And concluding with 1x1 mile + 2x2 mile.

After Terenure I plan to run LeCheile 5k before doing some of the 10k sessions

2x2m + 2x1 mile, 12x400m and then finally 3x2mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Giving this a shot again (will never make it into Marley but will track this thread) - will be my 3rd time using this plan (1st got PB but missed target, 2nd hit target). This time aiming for sub 40 in Dunshaughlin (ran 40:43 in Dunboyne last month so a big ask!)

Did the 1st session today - 6x1 mile, only difference is I did walk/jog for recoveries. Splits were:

6:25, 6:24, 6:21, 6:25, 6:26, 6:22. All reps felt reasonably comfortable so big confidence boost. Biggest difference between this time and previous attempts is I'm going to wear the magic/cheat shoes for these sessions - wore normal shoes before and always found the session really tough so this time my thinking is to get used to the pace/effort rather than killing myself like before.

Super stuff SR, nice splits. I'm hoping for a similar time in Dunshaughlin.

Last Thursday we did 1x2 mile - 4 minute jog - 2x1 mile.

We had to improvise as our usual flat loop was taken over by pups in the park. Meant we had some hilly sections.

This week is 2x2 mile off 4 minute jog recovery, should have our loop back by then.

Right now its geared towards Terenure 5 and then after Dunshaughlin.

19'39 for 5k last Saturday and felt quite strong throughout, definitely feeling the benefits.

For some reason these sessions always fill me with dread - I'm probably still traumatized by the 2st time I did them - was way over ambitious in my capabilities 😁. You seem to be well on the way.

For routes I usually try to make it as close to race route profile so no harm including some hills in it, Dunshaughlin has a 2 climbs around 7k so I'm preparing for them. Gonna do Bob Heffernan 5k as the progress check. Best of luck in Terenure

• Advertisement

Just realized Trim Braveheart 5k is on 9th June (8 days before Dunshaughlin), might pull the 3x2 miles into Sun 4th (13 days before race) and then a nice 5k blow out on the Friday in Trim. Love this race - forget the watch and just run hard type of run.

With a sub 40 goal at Dunshaughlin, what are you guys thinking re your tune up 5ks?

What sort of time there would point to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

19:05-19:15 would be right on the edge but if you allow for the extra month of training then I'm sure a 19:30 would still leave the possibility of sub 40 as a live option. The only point of reference I have was a 19:12 in Bob Heffernan and a 40:00 in Dunshaughlin a month later.

Post edited by skyblue46 on

I'm running Leixlip 5k where I'd like to be getting close to low 19.

Last year I ran a few 5ks under 19 minutes but still failed to break 40 in the 10k. Ran 40:30 twice in the space of a week.

In the first one I paid the price for a 3'36 first kilometer. Second race was 6 days later and I was just too tired.

I think for me I need to be back at sub 19 and have a more sensible pacing head on me.

I did a sub 19 in Celbridge last year of half marathon training (18:54) but no 10k race after it so not sure what times would correlate or me, 40:43 for Dunboyne this year so have a bit to go. Bob Heffernan is my tune up race so aiming for sub 19.

2x2 mile off 4 minute jog done today, 6'30 mile pace for both efforts, probably working a little too hard on very last mile.

Felt great after though

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Interesting thread... I had loosely followed mcmillan for a10k effort last wknd.

Earlier sessions were a bit hit and miss - but did 2 sessions of the 3 x 2m which was a good tune up for race - Got a new pb of just under 43mins

Thinking of doing the Le Chéile next - any recommendations for sessions based on mcmillan prog? 5 x 1k or 3 x 1m, 2m + 1m?

What about 3x2k at 5k effort for the 3rd session, I like the 5x1k and 3x1 mile.

Last year I did lots of 3x1k at 5 to 8 secs faster than 5k pace off 60 secs standing/walking recovery.

Tough session but felt I got a lot out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Thanks Wottle. I'll try the 3x2k. I think it would be good to try some faster than 5k intervals. 60 sec rest sounds tough...

Another good one is 12x2 mins at 5k pace off 60sec recovery. For 20min 5k pace you should go about 6k at race pace. Good session for hitting pace for last couple of reps.

• Advertisement

19'47 at Marlay Parkrun this morning, legs were very heavy after Thursday.

Kind of knew on the warm up but still went for it.

Focus fully on Terenure now and freshening up, so no parkrun racing next week.

4th week of doing these McMillan type sessions and thought I'd share the progress.

Last night we did 4x1 mile off 2 minutes as we wanted to compare results with week 1 which was 3x1 mile off 2 minutes.

You can see in the picture that the heart rate levels are almost identical but about 20 to 22 secs per mile quicker. We also had an extra rep, which I would not have been able to do in week 1.

Roll on Terenure next week and then I'll do a couple more of these sessions with Dunshaughlin in mind.

Nice progress there Wottle, big confidence boost to see the improvement. Best of luck in Terenure!

Fantastic stuff Wottle, really great progress.

Bit of a disaster week for me, attempted 1x2 mile 4x1 mile on Tuesday - bailed out after about 1km into 1st rep, could not get up to speed at all (4:10 for the km vs 4:00 planned) even tough I had a strong tailwind, felt really off. Took Wednesday off as legs felt heavy and tired.

2nd attempt on Thursday (still not feeling 100% but really want to try and get this session done), managed to keep pace (goal 6:24) for 1st 3 reps (6:22,6:23,6:22) but as working, really had to push for 4th rep (6:30) but this was into a headwind with a climb, last rep completely lost running form and trying to hold off throwing up so dropped out.

Some short easy runs for the next few days (max 5 miles) to see if I can recover before Tuesday's race.

Positives - managed to get the session in and 5 miles at race pace is better than nothing. Have Bob Heffernan 5k on Tuesday so hopefully have not saved some energy for that.

Negatives - Body is obviously tired, have cold sores, feeling wrecked all the time, hopefully just under the weather. Also 2 sessions in a row where I bailed out, hope this is not habit forming! Have found in the past that if I get used to dropping out in training it's more difficult to push through in the race.

Definitely not a habit forming, sounds like you made a good call, when the body is tired or just off, you could be fighting sickness and persevering through a session is going to make things 10 times worse as you give your immune system a right beating.

Rest and easy running, maybe the odd strides thrown in and I reckon you'll rock the Bob Heff. Let us know how it goes.

I had 8x400m last night in preparation for Terenure, I called it at 6 reps, the rest of the group continued but I was very tired. Played 3 hours of capture the flag the day before, sprinting after primary school kids, had me wrecked 😅

I was putting Tuesday's sh!tshow down to 5hrs on my feet on Sunday at Bruce Springsteen gig, looks like my body telling me to cop on and act my age 😃.

Just thought I'd give another update. I ran Terenure 5 miler today in 32'28 (6'30 mile pace).

This is the exact same pace as the 2x2 mile session off 4 minute jog recovery I did 3 Thursdays ago.

I've even more confidence now in the McMillan sessions, in particular the 3x2 mile at 10k pace.

With 4 weeks to go I think it'll be close, need to find 5 more secs a mile and do it for an extra 1.2 miles.

Looking forward to it

Did the Bob Heffernan 5k on Tuesday last, slogged out a 19:09, was aiming/hoping for sub 19 but was struggling from 2k onwards. Conditions were perfect on the night I just could not keep the pace going.

Negatives - not as fit as I was this time last year.

Positives - didn't bail on the run and was able to keep pushing (mentally toughed it out), 19:09 is still a savage time that I could only dream of a few years ago.

Based on current time sub 40min is a stretch however there is still 4 weeks of training to try and get close to it.

• Advertisement

Super stuff SR, based on that time you're a little ahead of me for sub 40 😅

We've still plenty of time, I'm backing us!

Advertisement