Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A far worse story than no I.D. is emerging. People who "don't look enough like their I.D. are being turned away.

I wonder is there a system to report this because what stops for instance a Tory voting I.D. checkers from deeming all the "dyed hair, leftie woke looking types" don't match the I.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Got a reference? As much as I believe the whole ID thing is with malicious intent I don't think it has gone that far.

Looking at my UK driving licence (lost at least 15kg since the pic was taken) I did however wonder how much leeway they give with pics.

Its all anecdotal so far and their are accusations and denials from people on the Guardian live blog. To be honest the numbers will be tiny but hey the numbers of voter fraud were equally tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

From the guardian:

Dozens of voters have been turned away at polling stations because they did not have valid photographic ID, ITV News reported.

Polling station tellers in Oxfordshire said “large numbers” are being turned away, reporting that between 10% and 25% have been unable to vote.

The Electoral Reform Society said it had seen “countless examples of people being denied their right to vote due to these new laws”.

Jess Garland, the Electoral Reform Society’s director of policy and research, said: “We’re already seeing countless examples of people being denied their right to vote due to these new laws.

“From people caught out by having the wrong type of photo ID to others turned away for not looking enough like their photo.

From the independent:

People have been prevented from voting because they didn’t have the correct photo ID, an MP has claimed.

Layla Moran, the Liberal Democrat MP for Oxford West and Abingdon, said she had received “reports by our tellers of people being turned away at polling stations for lack of correct ID.”

At the end of the day the whole point of a photo ID is to identify the person; so I could see someone being turned away with a valid ID as well as people simply thinking they had a valid ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Initial results not looking good for Rishi or more specifically the Tory party in general...

With full results from 25 out of the 230 councils where elections were being held, the Conservatives had suffered a net loss of 36 councillors, Labour had a net gain of 38 councillors and the Liberal Democrats added a total of eight councillors.

Lost control of 7 so far too with one swinging all the way over to Labour.

Prof John Curtice BBC says Tories may lose 1,00 seats, but results indicate Labour would be the largest party after a GE, but might not have an overall majority.

That would be good and the Lib Dems might get it right this time on changing to PR.

So all the talk of voter suppression and the like is turning out to be completely preposterous.

People in England just had to bring some ID with them as people in Ireland are asked to do. Big fuss over nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The UK is not going to switch to PR. Apparently, Sir Keir is not a fan:

Labour Leader Keir Starmer actively opposes a move to proportional representation for the House of Commons – putting him at loggerheads with the party membership and trade unions, Byline Times can reveal.

On Wednesday, this newspaper reported that the 350,000-strong union USDAW had become the latest to call on Labour to back scrapping Westminster’s winner-takes-all voting system, First Past the Post.

Two-thirds of trade unions that support the Labour Party now back a major change to Westminster’s voting system amid a mounting campaign among the party and union grassroots.

But Starmer’s official spokesperson has now revealed that the Labour Leader has a “long-standing view against proportional representation”. When asked to clarify if the Labour leader was against PR he said “yes”.

I find this infuriating but we have a two-party system so it doesn't matter.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Starmer said a week or two ago that PR was out of the manifesto or Labour policy. I think I read that somewhere.

Labour always pretend they're interested in PR until it looks like they're going to win a majority. Whilst these figures are not as good as 1995 when Blair got 48% of the vote, I would say Labour are still favourite to win a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Until all votes are counted and we can see what turnout was and which demographics were up or down this statement is as you say preposterous.

So you'd prefer the dramatic American angle "voter suppression".

Im saying you cant say if there was or wasnt any yet as there's no clue to what turnout was yet, you as usual are jumping the gun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is a clear attempt at voter suppression. It was plain from the get go with the ageist discrimination where younger people weren't allowed to use some IDs that older people were. Of course, with the Tories being Tories, they've made a mess of it and squandered more precious political capital to create yet another corruption scandal for no gain whatsoever.

My borough (Brent) didn't hold elections yesterday so I cannot comment. I'd be bringing every form of photo ID I had if they were.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

But is this "voter suppression". If this one tweet is correct, the people turned away can return with id.

I was asked for ID the last time I voted in Dublin and I showed my drivers licence.

Not sure I see the big deal here. I suppose people don't like change.

That's because ID cards aren't a problem in other European countries and they're well used to them. This is a strategy to minimize the opposition vote and it was conceived of by a government of mediocrities. We shouldn't need ID because there's virtually no voter fraud problem here.

H. H. Asquith

There will probably be more people who can't vote because of I.D. problems than there would have been fraudulent votes which kinda defeats the point.

Something I don't understand is how does the person using postal vote show I.D. ?

I'm probably more for than against voter I.D. but some of the aspects of it have been very dodgy.

There absolutely will be considering the infinitesimal amount of suspected let alone proven fraudulent votes that are cast.

• Advertisement

You earlier speculated that tellers would turn away leftie wokie types. Whatever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

If they don't have a majority then that'd likely be the price of any coalition agreement for the Lib Dems.

The Green party seem to be doing well. Currently have 73 seats with a gain of 38.

Given the mechanics of First Past the Post they might be nearer to the tipping point in some constituencies where the anti-Tory votes coalesce around their candidates. They'll need good local councilors for that to ever happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Later next year, 2024, may see a UK general election very close to an Irish one. OK, a lot may happen to prevent that from now, but has that ever happened? I suspect ours could be more likely into 2025, but not certain at all. Am I right in assuming that the UK one has to be prior to December, due to the 5 year rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Middle of December 2019 in UK, 8th February 2020 in Ireland. So that was <2 months apart.

The point seems to be voter suppression. The problem is one of competence. If done in good faith then there's no issue with ID. The thing with the UK is that there's resistance to mandated ID as we saw during the New Labour years. Voter fraud doesn't really exist here. I saw on TLDR News that the number of successful prosecutions for last election was in the single figures in a country of almost 70 million people.

True but 2010 was a fluke for them. Both major parties were toxic and they had Nick Clegg at the time. Now, Labour aren't toxic and I doubt most people could name their leader.

It could happen and I desperately want PR but it's not going to happen if we're being realistic.

H. H. Asquith

There were Irish and UK elections 1 month apart in 1997.

We could very well have Irish, UK and American elections within a few months of each other next year as well as Euro/local elections earlier in the year and an Irish Presidential election the year after.

Well Starmer would have to look at minority Government, if he has no mind to have a coalition. A coalition with Lib Dems is most definitely tied to a move to PR. Starmer has gone back on a lot of things in the past few months, and being a realist, one more shouldn't be an issue.

Nick Clegg took 57 seats in 2010. I doubt Ed Davey will get more than 20. The SNP may not hold onto some of theirs in Scotland either.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Having been forced to spend a lot of time in Torbay I'm in no way surprised it bucked the trend for the Tories.

Advertisement