Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development Pathways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I see you haven't replied to the counter point I made when you said Leinster didn't sign anyone at hooker to replace James Tracy, yet you actually did sign Tadhg McElroy, but I don't think I've seen Lee Barron get much game time this season? The point is you are being very selective of your criticism, and downright hypocritical on that point. If Munster need to supplement their squad to be competitive then they should do it. Leinster have the luxury of a big cushion at the top of the table to use their academy more frequently without any risk to their qualification for the Champions Cup or the URC payoffs.. Apples with oranges to Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I see you haven't replied to the counter point I made when you said Leinster didn't sign anyone at hooker to replace James Tracy, yet you actually did sign Tadhg McElroy

There's stretching, and there's stretching.

Barron and McElroy have virtually the same number of minutes this season, which is the square root of **** all between them. Sheehan and Kelleher are clearly the #1&2, McKee is next in line, and then there's the rest. Suggesting McElroy was signed to fill the gap left by Tracy is absolutely bizarre.

Lee Barron hasn't got much game time this season?

He's played in 5 games, starting 1, for 131 minutes of rugby. He's Leinster's fourth or fifth choice hooker, and a Year 2 Academy player who just turned 22. The guy stopping him from getting more gametime is another Academy hooker, John McKee. Do you even read this stuff before you post it?

Yeah, Leinster signed Tadhg McElroy. A guy who is from Leinster, who has played in 4 games (starting one), for 148 minutes. Do you see a fairly clear distinction between signing him though and signing an NIQ?!

If Munster want to go and sign Conor Fitzgerald and Jack Stafford or Hugh O'Sullivan as short term signings, then have at it. It's trying to sign poor quality NIQs that I've said I have the gripe with.

The point is you are being very selective of your criticism, and downright hypocritical on that point.

I'd suggest maybe throw out the shovel here and stop digging at this point.

This site has minutes per player for every team in the league mapped out, so you can see at a glance how rubbish Munster are at bringing through youth:

https://www.cardiffrfcfans.com/analysis/4779.php?seasonID=28&clubID=16

He was already a good rugby player at 18 and only joined the Leinster academy a couple of seasons ago. So at best he has played in Leinster for 4 seasons? He played in Ulster a lot longer than that.

• Advertisement

So, just for the sake of clarity here, are you saying a player's development is done when they leave school or not?

Do the provincial academies deserve any of the credit for the player's development in your view?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

haha good man, you own it.

im out anyway.

The errors have been corrected.

It's not bizarre, he was re-signed in February to finish out the season. It just shows the point that Leinster will do what they need to do to stock up where they need, such as sign already developed payers. Munster do the same but need more players to supplement what they can produce. They are completely different clubs. What's bizarre is trying to equate the two clubs and pontificating about how Munster should be more like Leinster.

Now you are moving the goal posts. One thing does not prevent the other. Development in Ulster to 18 years of age, and a further 4 years development in Leinster. Leinster do what they need, a good player arrives into the province at college age and they bring him into the system. That's no different to Munster signing players to supplement what they need.

A guy making his own independent decision to move to Dublin for college and playing AIL (i.e., complete happenstance) is no different to Munster signing players to supplement what they need.

Ok.

• Advertisement

So, in your example, Leinster adding 18-year-old John McKee to their sub-academy is no different to Munster signing Mike Haley or Antoine Frisch?

What's your gripe with Munster? You are fixated on Munster being bad.

I think it would be best if you just made your point and left it at that.

I absolutely am not, and I don't have a gripe with them. Not every piece of criticism or critique comes from a place of some deep lying agenda. It's a message board where we debate (pointlessly) things about Irish rugby.

It would be boring if it just consisted of team updates and agreeing about how great player x played etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Do the provincial academies deserve any of the credit for the player's development in your view?

So I'm including Knox and Patterson?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

@[Deleted User] tagging since my quote didn't work for some reason.

To be fair, there is a minor difference between the Whycherleys, who were always a part of the Munster system but just went to a Leinster school - compared to say Oliver Boyle or Illo who went through the Leinster sub-academy and age grade set ups and then moved provinces at the Academy stage.

Izuchukwu was also never a part of the Leinster underage set up as far as I am aware - although I am open to correction in that regard.

And thanks for the reply on the NIQ players above - credit where it's due, that's a consistent opinion.

Include them if you like, yeah, I don't particularly care. Obviously Keynan Knox is a better player now that the young lad who rocked up from SA years ago.

Paddy Patterson is a slightly different case - he joined the Leinster Academy in 2018, played 3 times for Leinster and didn't join Munster until Jan 2021. I'm not saying the credit here is all Leinster's or all Munster's - he's clearly a better player now than he was.

Yeah, I broadly agree, and when listing the players who were developed by Leinster in the other provinces yesterday you'll note I didn't include Boyle, Illo, Oliver (or the two Wycherleys). I limited it to players who'd been through the academies.

Izuchukwu I don't believe ever played underage rugby for Leinster, but all three of Illo, Boyle and Oliver did play for Leinster underage representative sides though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

And wycherleys only went to Roscrea for senior cycle as well. Izuchukwu was never part of Leinster age grade set up. Didnt get look for Connacht 19s as was injured for screening session so didnt get in.

OK seeing as you won't make your point, I can only assume it is this unless you wish to clarify,

Your point seems to be that Munster don't select academy players when there are injuries to senior players and instead sign mediocre players to fill gaps.

So the examples this season of Edogbo, Campbell, Donnelly, Quinn and Hurley all getting decent exposure, as well as recently graduated players such as Ahern, J Wycherley, Buckley, Kendellen, Patterson, Crowley, Healy being trusted, should lay those concerns to rest. Also worth mentioning Barron, Casey, Knox and Hodnett all being trusted and still only around 24.

Under the current management a lot is being done, players seem to be coming through more often, and they are getting game time.

So I can only assume the gripe is about Munster of previous seasons, so it's a pointless discussion serving only to whip a dead horse, for what gain? To make Leinster supporters feel smug and superior? I think this thread has ran its course by now.

• Advertisement

Ok, finally got around to it, lets look at this then:

In the last 3 seasons Munster have promoted the same amount of players, who have materially less starts (98), materially less total appearances (22) and got significantly less (1,476 minutes) this season, with a materially lower average mins v Leinster.#

• "In the last 3 seasons Munster have promoted the same amount of players". That's not true. Munster have promoted 19. Leinster have promoted 15. 16 remain at Munster while 13 remain at Leinster.
    • "who have materially less starts (98):" I make it 81 vs 95 here in favour of Leinster here.
    • "materially less total appearances (22)". I make it 185 vs 189. Not materially different.
    • "and got significantly less (1,476 minutes) this season". I make it 7592 vs 8196 (604 in the difference) in Leinsters favour, albeit it using 2 more players.
    • "with a materially lower average mins v Leinster." That's not true. I make it Munster's average 253 mins vs Leinster's 256. Again not matertially different.

So 2 of your 5 statements were correct.

Once again, please share your numbers.

I've given you mine.

In your brief engagement with this you've:

-outright lied on when John McKee entered the Leinster system to try and prove a point; being out by just the 4 years or so

-equated Leinster signing John McKee to their sub-academy as an 18-year-old to Munster signing senior players.

-basically put forward an argument that a player is fully developed when they leave school

-refused to engage further to the actual points, and just accused me of having a gripe with Munster.

and now, you're accusing me of not making my point?

I agree, and have agreed multiple times on this thread that Munster's recent usage of the Academy and recent graduates is significantly improved. It's from a place of being frankly abysmal for years, when at times they had as many as 5 or 6 NIQs in their squad, and is definitely going in the right direction.

But, they should double down on it, keep backing those young players, and they'll be better for it, and so will Ireland.

That was my argument, and, as I said above (which no one addressed), isn't remotely different to what Denis Leamy, Munster Coach, said just yesterday.

And, here we are, to show the utter nonsense of this argument.

For the cohort we've been talking about (Academy graduates from the past 3 years and current Academy players) - Leinster are starting 4 this weekend, with another 3 on the bench in a knock out game. One of those is a current Academy player.

FWIW - Munster are starting two, with four on the bench. No current academy players.

I'd argue its pointless including the SA tour where Leinster left around 25 senior players in Ireland, compared to Munster needing to go full bore to ensure a Champions Cup position.

How would the numbers compare if not including the final two rounds of the URC?

That's a clear decision with the CC in mind, and you know that.

I dunno, how do stats usually look when you decide to exclude any numbers that don't suit your argument?

Do those young Leinster players not get the benefits and development of playing in those games for some reason that's unclear to me?

As I've said above, there's a much stronger argument that the Bulls humiliation was one of the most important development games Leinster have had in years. It showed a cohort of young players who've largely only known success where the level really is, and how hard they've to continue working to get there.

There are a lot of silly arguments going around here, but excluding two actual league games from the sample set to suit your narrative is right up there.

I don't believe you are arguing in good faith if you mean that you can't understand the difference between playing academy players in two dead rubber matches while saving players for the CC knockouts, compared with picking your best side to win must-win games to secure CC for next season.

That's clearly a very relevant part to WHY those players were being played.

I can assure you if Munster were in the exact same position they would have done the same, so those two rounds are not comparable.

It just adds to the fact that their seasons are not comparable anyway, like I said, when you have 13 or so of the starting Irish team missing for large parts of the season of course there will be more academy players used. It's not a sensible point to make to compare the two clubs without allowing for such obvious distortions between the two clubs.

You might want to read Denis Leamy's comments lately that Munster are all about backing their own development of their players. There's not a lot to criticise about how Munster are being run at the moment, including how their academy system is being run.

• Advertisement

Do those young Leinster players not get the benefits and development of playing in those games for some reason that's unclear to me?

Just cos you can’t see that difference doesn’t mean there isn’t one.

Advertisement