Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

As a user over on LF said it's very rare for a person to go straight to the academy from school. The most recent being Scott Penny I believe.

But he missed a good chunk of rugby this year with injury including Irish Schools.

Side note: the poster in question had an account or 2 in here but seemed to always end up banned. A shame because their knowledge of underage rugby is second to none

He's still too young; making it now would have been elevating him a year early. Extremely unlikely given he missed the Irish Schools games with injury.

He's been training with the NTS/Sub-Academy/School of Excellence since he's been 16, so he's 100% on their radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Thanks for replies . Is there a sub academy list ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Nothing official. Rare if ever you see a full sub academy list for any province published. been that way for years

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

Even in the absence of Kolisi, Etzebeth and Koch, this is a strong looking Sharks lineup

• Advertisement

Sharks have named their side:

15-9,1-8:

Aphelele Fassi, Marnus Potgieter, Lukhanyo Am (c), Ben Tapuai, Makazole Mapimpi, Boeta Chamberlain, Grant Williams, Ox Nche, Bongi Mbonambi, Thomas du Toit, Corne Rahl, Gerbrandt Grobler, James Venter, Vincent Tshituka, Sikhumbuzo Notsche.

Reps:

Fez Mbatha, Ntuthuko Mchunu, Carlu Sadie, Jeandre Labuschagne, Phepsi Buthelezi, Cameron Wright, Nevaldo Fleurs, Rohan Janse van Rensburg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a quality front 5 for the Sharks. Leinster need to match up to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

Front row for sure, but second row might be a point of weakness. Grobler we all know (wonder if he's taken his "vitamins" this week?...) but Corne Rahl is only has 13 minutes for the Sharks in the URC and that was 4 months ago against Connacht. He's a Currie Cup player and even at that, he only has 8 appearances. Definitely someone that should be targeted. Ditto Boete Chamberlain at outhalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Resale option to be enabled from Monday. Hopefully a good few tickets free up.

Sharks without Etzebeth, Kolisi, Bosch, Kock.

I reckon those bookies odds are going to lengthen once our team comes out.

The RDS fixture saw us run in 8 tries against an admittedly worse Sharks outfit. But we similarly were without Keenan, Lowe, JGP, Furlong, Doris, VDF, Conan among others that day.

I don't see a scenario where a 23 from the pool of ~33 players who are capable of genuinely performing in knock out rugby are losing this game.

Leinster by 25

• Advertisement

It is going to be wet though, and they're going to test us up front. A lot of scrums could lead to scrum penalties and territory etc. The front row of theirs is still amongst the very best in the entire league.

Also not likely to be as loose a game as last time, or their more recent efforts, if conditions are poor, so dunno if I see us by that margin.

I think Leinster by 10-12, but it'll be tense for 50 mins or so. I would love to be wrong here (and for you to be right!).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think Chamberlain at 10 is their biggest issue - He's just not a 10 at all and if it's wet as predicted he won't be able to make use of the ball and pin Leinster back in the corners etc.

The Munster comeback in South Africa a few weeks ago hinged on the Chamberlain moving into 10 after Bosch went off , the Sharks were utterly rudderless after that.

Now , he's had a few weeks to prepare for playing at 10 since then , but still.

Yeah, very fair point. He's looked pretty ropey at full back this year, never mind 10.

Grant Williams is the guy who scares me though a little. He might be the fastest player in the 15 man game or close enough to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Kicked out to the 15th. Not exactly giving people much of a window.

Team up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

How does the resale option work?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

More callow backline than I would have thought. Including a professional debut at 13 for Frawley.

Milne due a start I think. Having Jenkins pushing behind him can't hurt.

That 4-8 is more than good enough to give Harry a nice platform at 10.

Great to see Joe Mc back also.

While I have no qualms about Healy being sub TH. I wonder where Big Mike is.

EDIT: Callow is the wrong word. Just seeing Frawley at 13 threw me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a stronger side than I thought we'd put out. Very meaty pack. Great vote of confidence for Milne that he's entrusted to start a league QF.

Fantastic to see Joe McCarthy make his return as well. He'll be needed over the coming weeks if Leinster go further in the league knockouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Joe mc carthy back on the bench. Strong enough team

• Subscribers Posts: 41,801 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Chamberlain was very poor when he stepped in to 10 against munster and was instrumentally in that drawn game. He was also very poor against leinster last october from 10.

i can see the sharks focusing on a 10 man kicking game with the backs as chasers. probably wont be enough for them, but that might keep the score down and closer

• Advertisement

If you've bought a ticket and can't or don't want to go, for some events you can log into your Ticketmaster account and there's an option to sell the ticket, I presume it just pops up on general sale again, and the ticket just transfers to whoever bought it.

Ala'alatoa not there at all is a suprise. Anyway good team and plenty on the bench.

very mix and match team as expected.

slightly worried that there are some partnerships there which are starting together for the first time........ noticeably in midfield and at second row... but i expect the machine to continue to trundle along.

Leinster by 16

Feeling confidant about this one.

For me only Am, Mapimpi and Nche get into an combined 23 of the teams.

And a lot of the other calls are not close

It's actually a weaker team with more rotation than I expected tbh!

Frawley at thirteen will be interesting, because the Sharks will definitely threaten us out wide.

Agreed, brilliant to see Joe McCarthy back, and huge for Milne to start here. If he holds his own, he's going to be firmly in RWC contention IMO.

I don't love seeing Baird in the second row again, but we've a lot of talent in that pack even after a lot of changes. Our bench also looks way better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Bit tough on Turner, he's been very good this season. Be interesting to see how Frawley gets on at 13. Does he have history playing there at underage?

Ah Thomas Du Toit is a quality operator IMO, as is Grant Williams. I'd probably have those two ahead of Healy (at TH) and Luke McGrath. Their back row has a lot of quality too I think, but can't see who I'd drop out of the Leinster four.

big Mike started every game between early december and the end of march, and has nearly 1200 minutes this season already.

its gas having Porter covering loose head and Healy covering tight :D

I was mostly doing it in a straight shoot out so Du Toit was just up against Furlong which isn't an overly close conversation. To be fair the sensible approach would be to bench closer calls in which case yes TDT would definitely be benching over Healy.

Grant Williams for me is all flash little substance. He's exciting and lightning quick but gun to my head I'd take what Luke McGrath offers. Neither are tremendously good scrumhalves. But both are excellent rugby players in pretty different facets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

I don't get the Dave Kearney selection at all. Would of liked to see Russell also. That pack though looks strong

Advertisement