Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil servants to call for four-day working week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

One fifth of your working week is every last bit of productivity?

It's a simple enough paradigm, if your workforce can reduce their working week by a fifth without a drop in productivity then you're overstaffed by some margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It would have to be readjusted to take that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

People can work at different speeds. I do my own work over 5 days but if I really wanted to push myself, I could do it in 4.

To do that, it would mean increasing my productivity by 20%. Something which would cause stress over an extended period of time.

You're coming at it from a multinational point of view where employees are there to be pushed to their maximum productivity levels at all times to cut back on waste.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still busy in the public sector and have plenty to be doing, but at a far nicer pace than the constant pressure we were putting employees under in the multinational I worked at for the guts of a decade.

I don’t get how anyone would be against the 4 day week unless they love working or are an old school boss who wants to squeeze every last drop of work out of their staff. I think it’s the future, more and more people are questioning the current work life balance. Where we give over so much of our time to work.

In my parent time a 6 day week was common, then a half day Saturday then a 5 day week. With the advancements in technology why are we still working long hours. Managed properly a 4 day week could work very well for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I think that's the crux if it , technology had efficiencies have advanced so much , workers aren't seeing that benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I hope that we move to a global standard of 4-day work weeks in the next 20-30 years - better for society overall.

However to have any discussion in it, people must be clear on what they think a 4 day work week means:

• 39 hours spread over 4 days rather than 5, with 39 hours pay
    • 32 hours spread over 4 days with 32 hours pay
    • 32 hours spread over 4 days with 39 hours pay

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A sector with famously low productivity rates is not an ideal pilot for a 4 day week and likely undermine the sectors where it would be beneficial.

Would only be possible with tracked performance metrics and a complete banning of overtime and starting off with 0 backlogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Read the thread harder.

Some 4-day week advocates are passionate that it does indeed mean fewer hours in the week: people do 4x7 hours instead of 5x7 - for the same salary.

Other people think it means longef days: 4x8.75 ish, to give still 35 hours work per week.

Other aren't sure what it means.

But the government doesn't have a magic money tree: if everyone works fewer hours, they would have to hire more staff to provide the same service. If everyone on 80% SWW suddenly got paid 100%, that would be a big cost increase, for no gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

They kind of do have a magic money tree at the moment. If not now, when.

the thing is they don’t have enough staff in many parts of public sector. my team of five could certainly do with another team member - at least.

Parts of hse are massively understaffed eg children’s disability teams. There’s no one there to hire either. The 2008 recession did huge damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

I don't need to read the thread harder. I don't really care that much that people on boards.ie have no clue what they are talking about. Sure, that's hardly anything new.

The proposal by the Union isn't for a less hours for the same money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,208 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I didn't see in the original article where it said that the same hours would be worked over a shorter period.

As far as I'm aware, most places that have trialed a 4 day week have stuck to the same number of hours per day, just one less day.

And generally the studies have been positive with most places that trialed it sticking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drifter100

Precisely the point, the CS as here to provide services to the public. They can`t if they are only working a 4 day week. So inevitably if you have 4 people in a customer facing environment and either they dont open to the public on day 5 or reduce and spread themselves over the time period, it can only be a retrograde step and a diminution of services.

Why reduce time working, it should be increased if anything. Too many people wandering aimlessly about while the rest of us get on with a bit of work

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

This will cause serious strikes in the Public Service. Lets say office staff are allowed to work 32hours a week for their full pay.

What about front line staff like Nurses Doctors Gardai Teachers Fire Services. etc etc.There is massive staffing problems across lots of these areas if not all of them Frontline staff you carry on working as is while the office staff are floating around on their 3 day weekend.

This will not happen in the public service anytime soon.

Private Companies is different but a lot of them would have manufacturing and office staff. Cant see it happening there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Private companys provide services and they do so at a benefit to the customers because if they waste money they go out of business

You actually mean is that we're a state backed monopoly so the customer can go **** himself

Except plenty of CS staff are already working reduced weeks, as worksharing has been part and parcel of the civil service for over 20 years now.

Offices do not close their doors because of staff working reduced weeks. One of the basic conditions of a worksharing application being granted, is the business needs of the unit being met.

So stop worrying your little head.

They said we'd never be allowed work from home either, because everyone would be on the doss - and oh look - productivity increased.

This is just more of the usual dross we have to listen too, from those who haven't a clue how the CS actually operates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

That's a lot of the private and public sector. Quite frankly, most operations are overstaffed with people in makey uppey roles and functions that add no value or only marginal value. It's the modern service economy, and I don't see it changing all that much.

The people that are really flat-out day to day are typically blue collar workers. The people that get shat on and are among the last to see wage rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The 4 day working week, is as per all international trials, 4 x 8 hour days. The vast majority of businesses have found that they are at least as productive in a given week, with many benefits to staff. So many are also more productive WFH. Mostly middle managers are anxious because their supervisory role is diminished or worse shown not to be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Stop worrying your little head. Nice. The arrogance is outstanding.

I work in ps. I can't see it working. Unless you get rid of dead wood. They'll be back as consultants anyways.

I will say, my team are hugely under resourced and I've told them to do their hours. Complaints come in...talk to me.

And you don't find it arrogant when those who are clearly clueless are here putting hard working people down?

It would be nice if you were as quick to take them to task for their arrogance.

I can't speak for the public service or the dead wood within. I'm civil service.

My opinion is it would work very well for the CS, which is who this thread has been aimed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I’d agree with you here. I work in local government. There are sections that are stretched to near breaking point and are haemorrhaging staff. The pay at the lower grades is poor with very limited scope to move up quickly so anybody that’s any good doesn’t stay that long.

Most senior people are working 50 hours minimum and are managing a lot of staff and money, scrutiny is high and your mistakes can end up in the local papers, never mind the crazy layers of regulation surrounding everything. I dont know where this notion that the PS as a whole is a cushy number comes from. There probably are parts that are more relaxed but I think a lot of the fat was cut during the last recession.

Implementing a 4 day week would be difficult at best, while some do take the family friendly 4 day arrangement already, putting it in place across all of most of the organisation is another matter entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Let me guess they want 20% less work and want nearly double digit yearly pay increases ? Lol

The bottom line is simply that if certain cohorts getting working less hours for same money there is going to be widespread discontent & industrial action throughout those affected, namely the front line workers who can’t do the exact same work in less time. It simply would mean that cohort’s wages would have to go up or roles will not be able to be filled at all, when you could be earning the same scratching your @rse. It would herald an eta of great industrial discontent. But I’m gang predicting this is exactly what is going to transpire. This is not a good era.

I don't agree with your logic. There have always been different working conditions for different "cohorts".

If someone chose to work in a career that does not lend itself to flexibility, why should that mean those who chose different career paths, should be denied it?

I don't complain or begrudge teachers (for example) when they have 2/3 months of a break in summer, when I am at work. I chose not to be a teacher.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I'm guessing public facing offices would have a rotation set up for the staff to ensure they can do their 4 day week but most importantly that the public facing office hours are not affected.

Just to address the public v private sector comparison. In my case I left the private sector for the public sector for a very similar role. The main reason was the location suited me better but my salary decreased, holidays decreased, my pension is very poor compared to the generous private sector pension I was getting. In the private sector I was getting free health insurance, life assurance and a bonus every year - not the case in the public sector. Btw I'm not complaining but just addressing the antiquated view and sweeping generalisation that everyone in the public sector has it handy - that might have been the case 30+ years ago but it's a different story now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yep. My wife works in private sector and the benefits she has in comparison to me as a public servant are great, health insurance, shares, annual bonus etc. They are also treated to lunches etc regularly. The lunches have been known to last well over the normal one hour too, some people would lead you to believe that only public servants would ever take liberties like that.

Not complaining either, that’s just how it is, and everyone can choose their own path.

I worked in the private sector for years for a blue chip MNC and while it’s a very different workplace and culture I honestly don’t see much difference in terms of how hard people work generally speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 joggerjogger

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

Different angle here. Switched from private to public a few years back. Less pressure by an Antarctic expedition distance, just be seen to document everything properly and nobody is chomping on your backside. Recession proof to the point that any wage cuts will be in the 1% to 2% in those times. Guaranteed contract if you want to stick it out, and especially great if you have low overheads to begin with. Work every day is a pleasure. Fair enough, there are no bonuses per say - but the reliability of knowing your wages are there on time every pay day with out fail is well worth it.

As you age you appreciate the calm flat waters over the cresting waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Same argument was made about the 5 day week....

If you were a bar manager, would you prefer your staff to work 4 days at 90% capacity, or 5 days at 70% capacity?

It's a trick question because the answer is much more complicated than that.

The middle class is built on the service economy. Improving wages and increasing leisure time for lower paid workers has always led to a boom in the economy and better living conditions for most people

When the 6 day week was reduced to 5 I'm sure the same people questioned if all the work would still get done. Now the same questions about a 4 day week. Society will adjust, people will have more free time, i believe peoples physical and mental wellbeing will improve and the economy will also improve. Imagine we had a 6 day week now, when would people get to spend their money in order to keep society running.

A 4 day week would result in another day people would be off and spending their money on leisure activities, shopping, eating out, day trips etc.

If we had listened to the naysayers back then wed all still be working 6 days a week, what a life eh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can you tell us when, exactly, civil servants were working a 6-day week?

Advertisement