Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development Pathways

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Again you’re comparing apples and oranges tho.

Leinster need to rotate in a way Munster don’t this weekend.

But it’s a good point. A fairer comparison would be Munster this weekend vs Leinster last weekend, when both at full strength.

Once again, before you start accusing me of not arguing in good faith, I'd point out the following:

You have, today:

-outright lied on when John McKee entered the Leinster system to try and prove a point; being out by just the 4 years or so

-equated Leinster signing John McKee to their sub-academy as an 18-year-old to Munster signing senior players.

-basically put forward an argument that a player is fully developed when they leave school

-refused to engage further to the actual points, and just accused me of having a gripe with Munster

if you mean that you can't understand the difference between playing academy players in two dead rubber matches while saving players for the CC knockouts, compared with picking your best side to win must-win games to secure CC for next season.

That's clearly a very relevant part to WHY those players were being played.

It's not though - it's still really valuable development minutes for those players, and that's all we're talking about here. Leinster earned the right not to need a result in those two games with their performances all year, but that schedule comes with a significant risk. With different outcomes earlier in the year, they could have found themselves travelling down there in the middle of European Cup playoffs needing results in SA.

However, and once again, this wasn't the sole opportunity Leinster gave to Academy players or recent graduates this season. They had current Academy players on the field in 21 of 25 games (I've said this about 10 times now I feel like) and on at least 6 occasions (excluding the two SA games) had at least 4 Academy players in the match day 23.

@aloooof was literally trying to include a friendly game in the Munster stats, but you're here crowing about including two actual league games in the Leinster stats. Utter nonsense.

You might want to read Denis Leamy's comments lately that Munster are all about backing their own development of their players. There's not a lot to criticise about how Munster are being run at the moment, including how their academy system is being run.

I think you'll find I was the one (and the only one so far) who actually referenced Denis Leamy's comments on this thread, and, as I said, he's basically saying the same thing I was saying, that you all are so up in arms about. That academy production has improved, but that they need to keep backing it, and not sign unnecessary NIQs to stall the development of those players. The headline on the article was 'Door shut on Munster arrivals' with a sub-heading of 'Denis Leamy said developing homegrown talent from within Munster should be the top priority'.

So, sorry, Leinster players don't get development benefits from those games? There's no benefit from being in the senior squad, playing alongside senior experienced pros like Rhys Ruddock, Jason Jenkins, Max Deegan, Dave Kearney, etc?

Yeah, but sorry, can you please keep your arguments straight for once?

One second - it's Leinster only give development minutes in dead rubber games.

Faced here with a scenario where Leinster have more current academy and recent graduates than Munster in their squad this weekend for a knock out game, it's something different.

Still waiting on you sharing those numbers too btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

Munster were in that situation when we played SA in Cork but somehow playing a game like that isn't counted (by some/one) for development, somewhere in the mind and body of those players that played in that game they'll find that their development is stunted because it wasn't a URC or ERC game.

It amazing how human bodies develop and how minds twist things.

• Advertisement

was literally trying to include a friendly game in the Munster stat

Correction. “Pure vanity fixture”. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Lying? Come off it. McKee has only been in the Leinster academy for 2 seasons. That's what I referred to. I don't care if he was in a sub-academy before that. It's still not relevant to the point I made, he is from Ulster, and 18 years there is a lot more than 4 years at Leinster.

I never said a player was fully developed at 18, I think you introduced that strawman to suit your bad faith argument.

Refusing to engage on the fact you stated Leinster don't sign mediocre players to fill gaps instead of using their academy players to fill gaps, except they do in the case of Tadhg McElroy this very season.

You lost the argument when you started comparing Munster needing to win and Leinster throwing out a team to get hammered by 55 points.

Call it what you like, it wasn't a competitive game, there was nothing at stake (despite the players running around with some sort of trophy afterwards).

But, that's fine, if you're going to include it though, you should also include the fixture Leinster played against Chile in that window.

Consistency and all that.

So, sorry, Leinster players don't get development benefits from those games?

I've never said that. But it's an opportunity afforded to them that isn't afforded to Munster.

One second - it's Leinster only give development minutes in dead rubber games.

Again, I've never said that.

You're asking me to keeop my arguments straight but have misquoted me a number of times on this.

there was nothing at stake 

Nothing at stake? A bit like, I don't know... the SA tour games?? :P

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm not really sure what this thread is trying to prove.

It's not a good comparison to compare playing time at Leinster vs anywhere else. Leinster could field 3 schoolboys for every league game and still win, this isn't true elsewhere. When your squad is so overwhelmingly strong you have a lot more wiggle room for experimentation.

Munster's figures for squad use through the season look on par with Ulster / Connacht / Glasgow / Bulls / Stormers to me.

've never said that. But it's an opportunity afforded to them that isn't afforded to Munster.

It's not an opportunity - it's a situation Leinster earned. And, once again, earned by having a squad that was heavily dependent on academy players and recent graduates all season.

No, and this is where you seem to be utter some illusion - there were still league points at stake in those SA games. Leinster got 5 of them for beating the Lions with a try bonus, and Bulls got 5 of them for beating Leinster.

These were scheduled league games.

I genuinely can't believe you're persisting with this argument.

Would you propose to include the Chile game on the same basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Genuine question...

Is there any hope of more investment AIL level to make it a better space to aid the development of these fringe and academy players...a system were there are semi-pro clubs for these players to go and get game time...what use is the likes of goggin playing for Young Munsters in the AIL....18 stone pro, up against an 14 stone ameteaur who has a day job mon-fri...

You said:

That's also within the context of McKee being a 23 year old who joined the academy last season as an already developed player from Ulster.

That was either an outright lie, or you just didn't know what you're talking about, but either way, it's completely incorrect. As I, and others, have pointed out.

I never said a player was fully developed at 18, I think you introduced that strawman to suit your bad faith argument.

That effectively is what you're saying if you're claiming Ulster developed McKee (and you've doubled down on it in your post here - "18 years in Ulster is a lot more than 4 years at Leinster".

Refusing to engage on the fact you stated Leinster don't sign mediocre players to fill gaps instead of using their academy players to fill gaps, except they do in the case of Tadhg McElroy this very season.

No, I think you'll find I pointed out, and asked you, if you could identify a clear distinction between signing McElroy and signing an NIQ. I actually explicitly stated I had no issue with Munster signing the likes of Conor Fitzgerald, Hugh O'Sullivan etc (or the best IQ players they can find). I applauded the signing of Sean O'Brien on the Munster thread at the time (and actually suggested it before they did it), as it makes perfect sense. It expands the Irish playing pool.

You lost the argument when you started comparing Munster needing to win and Leinster throwing out a team to get hammered by 60 points

Where exactly did I do this?

Did he or did he not join the Leinster academy last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Investment in what way and where do you invest as not all provinces are equal in terms of clubs which affects provinces and development.

When your squad is so overwhelmingly strong you have a lot more wiggle room for experimentation.

This makes sense on the face of it, but isn't backed up elsewhere, either within rugby or in other sports.

Generally, when you've a team competing on two fronts as credible winners of those competitions, and the bulk supplier to the national team, it should be harder to get into that team.

Leinster actually have a smaller senior squad than Connacht or Ulster (though both of those should be criticised for carrying excess players and then hardly using a good number of them).

I don't think there are a whole load of examples from other sports or even within rugby where a dominant team has such a track record of giving development minutes to young players also. A handful, sure, but it's definitely not the norm.

No, he explicitly didn't - he joined it in June 2020. He joined the sub-academy in July 2018.

Then on that point I was wrong, he has actually been in the Leinster academy for almost 3 seasons. That doesn't substantially change my point. He was developed by Campbell college up to college age, and then moved to Leinster. He subsequently developed further. That is the point I made.

He is, like I said, no different to any other Academy prospect in terms of when he joined, how long he spent there, or the age he joined at.

• Advertisement

It would be harder to get into the team if the first team was actually selected for each game, but as we know within Irish rugby the games in between europe and test matches are just used to keep the top players fit when needed.

Leinster can afford to rotate their top guys out, because their wider squad is so strong, and still carry young lads and win. Nobody else has this luxury.

Leinster can start Milne tomorrow, absolutely 0% chance any other province would be able to start someone like that in a knockout game by choice.

Leinster are the exception here, not Munster. Munster aren't bad at this, comparing anyone to Leinster is just silly.

Yeah, but you're saying:

Leinster can afford to rotate their top guys out, because their wider squad is so strong, and still carry young lads and win.

When I'm saying to you, the reason the wider squad is so strong is because they have an extensive track record going back 15 years or so of backing these young players, and giving them opportunities. It's a squad where 84% of them came through the Leinster Academy, so this point actually reinforces my argument more than anything else.

Leinster can start Milne tomorrow, absolutely 0% chance any other province would be able to start someone like that in a knockout game by choice.

I dunno if you've seen enough of Michael Milne to make this comment - he's going to be in the mix for the RWC. I'd argue there isn't much between him and Jeremy Loughman (who Munster are starting), and he's better than Josh Wycherley right now (who could easily be starting for Munster this weekend), and would argue he's better than either Denis Buckley (or replacement Jordan Duggan) who are in the Connacht squad this weekend. Rory Sutherland is better than him, but he's an international NIQ. He's a better player than Eric O'Sullivan too.

So, I think that statement is completely incorrect. Just because he isn't Leinster's first or second choice does not mean he isn't better than some of the other province's first or second choices, something we seem to come up against frequently here.

Entirely this. I said the following at the outset:

But just because Munster don't produce from their academy to the same level as Leinster, doesn't mean their academy output is poor. Leinster are the outlier here. Leisnter are pretty much the outlier in world rugby.

the reason the wider squad is so strong is because they have an extensive track record going back 15 years or so of backing these young players

It’s not just because they’ve backed these young players.

It’s because these young players have been good enough to back.

That’s an important distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

What other high-attrition sports feature an extremely dominant, well coached team, whose best players aren't available to them at all times, that one can use as a basis for comparison?

Leinster can rotate in academy players because those players are exceptional, the team is extraordinarily well coached, the squad culture is excellent and standards are extremely high. Leinster need to rotate in academy players because they have a huge amount of international players who are subject to managed minutes. If Connacht had John McKee, a pro standard hooker, in the academy, I'm sure they wouldn't have signed Grant Stewart on a short term contract at the start of the season. But they didn't, they had a 21 year old Eoin de Buitlear.

On Connacht, I think the squad this season was maybe a back row and an outside back or two heavy, but nothing too egregious surely. The Ulster squad is definitely bloated though.

I also think that looking at academy players only when discussing development minutes is a tad limiting - there are 16 players in Connacht's senior squad who are younger than Rob Russell.

It's not just that though - and that to me is too much of a defeatist attitude to the whole thing.

Michael Milne, referenced by @awec above is a perfect example. As recently as the start of this season I would have thought he's nowhere near ready for a stage like this. He's improved hugely just this season alone, in terms of his scrummaging, ball carrying, handling, defence, everything.

It's this sort of comments that have pissed Leo Cullen off in recent weeks too - this notion that Leinster's success is a fait accompli because of the Leinster Schools system.

he reason the wider squad is so strong is because they have an extensive track record going back 15 years or so of backing these young players, and giving them opportunities

Not sure how you reach this conclusion.

Is it not just as likely that the reason the wider squad is so strong is because the quality of player coming into Leinster from schools is exceptionally high, and far higher than the quality of player that the other provinces are inheriting?

I mean, it's surely beyond dispute at this stage that this is a fact.

When you have higher standards coming in, it's not surprising that those players are ready for pro rugby much faster than their peers elsewhere. And it's not surprising that starting off from a higher base will produce a better player in the long run.

This all means it's easier to give them more minutes.

The idea that the difference between Leinster and elsewhere is that Leinster are braver when it comes to selecting young players is a fallacy. The real difference is well documented at this stage, and has been covered more than usual in the press the past few months.

Being said in the press by embittered beaten coaches doesn't make it a fact.

I've never claimed it's just because Leinster are braver in backing them, and, yeah, I would agree that the calibre of player coming into the academy is better, but the coaching thereafter is considerably better too.

The other point is the quality of the underage development work is significantly better too.

It's not just down to a couple of schools. Ulster is a prime example of a place with a big underage rugby playing population, a longstanding schools structure, and a strong rugby heritage and culture.

It's a complete cop out for other teams to just claim Leinster have such an advantage in this area that it's not worth them even trying to compete with or be compared with.

I've discussed this before - but Michael's is a perfect example of a school that didn't have a strong track record of player production or underage success until relatively recently. The progress that has happened there in the past 15 years or so ought to be replicable at least to some extent in other parts of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

You can only replicate small bits of what Michaels have done without putting in extensive money.....

I will agree the coaching by and large before and after academy is better in Leister.

Number of schools playing in Ulster is high but what resources they have for rugby is nothing compared to most big Leinster schools. Nobody has said that its not worth trying to compete with Leinster but its very fair to say its very hard to directly compare themselves with Leinster as what each province is working with is completely different.

Resources key and Michaels have spent extensively to get where they are. below is a comment from andy skehan a few years back. they can afford to do all that. that isnt necessarily possible elsewhere. it isnt replicable.

"The way it is laid out at St Michael's is not that different to a professional set-up so when they make the step up, it is not that big in their head. They are used to the early mornings, the reviews, the medicals. Some other lads who aren't used to that might find it difficult and fall away or might not be aware of what that step actually is."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Said I'd take a look at Connacht, given all the chat. Eoin de Buitlear was the only academy player used, so have included all players who were 23 and under at the start of the season.

Advertisement