Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

Everyone will have their own experience. It's hard to say, because a big factor is who you might be bidding against.

In my case, we had just missed out on a house, and we saw another we really liked. We were also under a bit of pressure to buy, as we were sitting in a house which needed to go to a probate sale, and interest rates were about to go up, which would affect us on a 15 year fixed term. In any case, we were the first viewers and immediately bid €20k over asking. Our plan was to scare away people who were thinking they could offer below asking and play the long game. In the end, we did get the house, but it did go up a good bit from our initial offer. We ended up paying around what similar houses were going for at the time, though. I just couldn't be dealing with a long drawn-out process. Some people would increase bids in €1 increments if they were allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

our broker said the cutoff was the 4th of June or something but we needed everything in by the 27th to hit that date with the bank. it's for the fixed rate we're lining up for the house.

Wonder if it's because we go all in on a house when we go sale agreed? I.e. we get the valuation, loan offer drafted, everything as soon as the house is sale agreed rather than waiting for contracts to be signed etc?

• In due course I will be putting a duplex on the market as I will be in need of the cash, I’m giving my longstanding great tenants long notice. Goodness knows what the market will be like, but I’m developing changing physical needs which will require the funds, therefore I can’t envisage going through a protracted process to get best price. I’ll be watching this thread and taking on board any wisdom I see on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

It's only up a couple of weeks so far, although properties seem to be going fairly quickly in the area judging by others we have viewed and followed up on. Currently no bids on this property, first viewing was last week and another viewing scheduled. Does acting fast and getting in with an early bid show you are serious, or does it come across too eager? I am good at the analysis and logical decision making, but admittedly negotiation and poker face not my strong suit!

Edited to quote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

If it was a couple of months on market and no bids then would say go with your partners suggestion.

Did you find out from EA how many other viewings there had been from the other potential buyers to date? If your bid is below asking - the EA will tell you pretty soon what the story is in relation to the seller. If you are very keen on it - I would say go for it and get the ball rolling on it; try not to think to much what potential others will bid (may not have any other bidders - ya just don't know).

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Estate agents really do love bidding wars. Why can't people just put their houses up for a price they think is fair, maybe just under to generate some interest. Estate agents just add to the lengthy process with their games, I wonder how many houses they have directly caused deals to fall through for.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

How did you know what date to apply for your insurance/mortgage protection if you hadn't agreed a closing date at that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

First post here, have been reading loads. We are selling our house and have gone sale agreed. Our deeds were requested from PTSB 3 weeks ago. Anyone any idea how long they're taking currently?

Buyer is a cash buyer so once deeds come back can anyone tell me how long the process is likely to take ( I know it's how long is a piece of string but just trying to get a sense of it, we've never sold a house before)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TangoThree3

We had both policies commence the day we signed the contracts to cover anything happening to us / the house between signing & closing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

im sorry i didnt wait before booking the survey now , having to get an engineer back out to do a planning search and a letter to confirm the house was built without needing planning is a pain in the hole .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Could be worse, I've got paranoid about surveys after a cousin's house burnt down and went looking for the most in-depth ones you can get so we're talking a 4 figure quote. And literally days after getting him in to look at the last house and paying him, the solicitor told us to walk away. Completely blindsided on that one, thought the surveyor would be the one to tell us that.

But the man gives great reports so I'd use him again but he doesn't do repeat business discounts :(

you would nearly need a house deposit for all that money on the surveys!!

i wonder when the banks will announce the increases? surprised i havnt heard anything yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

If all ducks are in a row and there's no hitches, maybe 8 weeks ? I sold one last year and about a month or 2 prior to going on sale I notified my solicitor who requested deeds, searches, NPPR and all that stuff so greatly reduced the lead time when we went sale agreed. From the day the deposit was paid to the day the keys were handed over was 8 weeks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’d say you’d be in the minority B&W that was great going and really how it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I setup the mortgage protection in advance of expected closing date.

The house insurance I did through mortgage provider, they had pending quote in system and put it live on closing date.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

Copied from posts I put up on here at the time, March 2022:

House went on the market 22/11/21; first viewing 26/11/21, had a few offers with the highest (5k below asking) on 15/12/21. Auctioneer suggested leaving until 2nd week in Jan.

A few more viewing in the week or so after Christmas but no better offers.

Verbally Sale Agreed 18/01/22, deposit received, proof of funds provided and taken off the market 26/01/22.

Contracts signed 02/03/22 with suggested completion of 16/03/22.

Sale completed last Friday 25th March so just over 8 weeks from deposit paid to completion. Waiting now for solicitors to clear existing mortgage on property with the bank, take their fees out and send us the balance. Probably another week or so. Can't complain about that and I'm delighted that I took the advice to notify my solicitor and get Property Tax Certs/NPPR sorted before it went on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Quick question, if you make a bid on a house and it is accepted does the EA give you something in writing to confirm this

yes , a sales advice note for the booking deposit that you pay (usually 5k)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Contracts finally exchanged this week, I signed my copies 2 months ago! Received the final bill from my solicitor this evening, transferring the funds on Monday and getting the key for a final inspection then too, not there yet but very relieved for the first time in a few weeks. The sellers solicitor sent the bill for the LPT but still didnt give a closing date despite multiple requests for the last 2 weeks the useless shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Your 6k estimate was off by €6 😁

Very happy with that it leaves me a few grand for essentials, I had more like 12k in my head going in.

Not so happy with my solicitor charging €3100 though they were supposed to be friends and colleagues of my brother looking after me and they ended up giving me zero mates rates and adding months to the process quibbling over freehold/leasehold and retention planning on the 2 extensions despite my multiple requests to just get it done and sort that stuff later because to me it seemed I was paying €270k in Limerick for a better house than what usually lists for 320-350 on Daft and Myhome.

Still cant complain too much, hopefully all this will be forgotten soon.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭hometruths

I asked this in other thread but figured might get a more accurate response here - anecdotally it seems to me that most people buying a place to live (i.e not BTL investors) are in the vast majority buying houses rather than apartments?

Is this true? Are any home buyers, (other than retired downsizers), looking to buy apartments these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jenthreepinks

Completely agree. We were talked into this by our estate agent despite us being very clear what we wanted for our house. We’re now stuck just above asking 7 weeks in and it’s a price we definitely won’t take. Regretting not putting it up for what we want for it, which isn’t unreasonable for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jenthreepinks

Thanks for your honesty, I see your point. It would be a huge gamble, we probably won’t do it but then again we also won’t take the current top bid and would prefer to take it off the market than sell it for less than market value.

We’ve another viewer this week so fingers crossed that comes to something but if not I think decisions need to be made. We’re nearly 8 weeks on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

I was originally looking for a house, but after multiple bidding wars that have gone against me and a house purchase that fell through due to a bad survey, I'm now looking at apartments. Just keen to get the whole thing over with at this point and have a roof over my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Currently debating on bidding on a house, it's a bit overpriced but there is Airbnb potential given it's proximity to a local hotel and house appears to be in good condition. I know it previously went sale agreed at 316k but that fell through, I suspect this may be for a number of reasons.

The house has been on the market for nearly 3 months, it's listed as a 2 bed but has an attic conversion so that's effectively a 3rd bedroom, I'm guessing this doesn't have planning permission in place for the conversion which could cause issues if we are re-selling the property which is starting to put me off. The owner of the property, who's family actually constructed the entire development, showed us around the house himself, they have a small Dublin based estate agent handling the sale which I thought was a bit odd (based in south of the country). This morning I noticed that the house owners brother works for the estate agency as a 'sales negotiator', is it just me or would these 2 issues be a red flag to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I wouldnt let any of that bother me. Just make sure you are paying the value you put yourself on a 2 bed with an attic room rather than a 3 bed house.

The brother working for the estate agent makes no difference. The estate agent works for the vendor anyway. I would be more worried if i was selling and a buyers brother worked in the EA.

When we bid we were getting outbid until we decided to assume that next year we would be happy to have the house and have paid 50k more than we were bidding today. So we increased our bid by 50k and got sale agreed right away.

If you look at anyone buying a house at the moment they would think buying a house at last years price is a bargain. Even though last year they wouldnt. So we just mentally moved on a year and it worked out for us. We would gladly pay this year what we paid last year for the house. More even.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I've just gone sale agreed on a house. I'm buying on my own and on a pretty modest budget/income. Just got quotes for a solicitor plus all the associated fees with buying a house and I need to put down my booking deposit. Suddenly it feels very real and buying on my own has become very daunting. I think its just knowing that for most people I know who bought a house recently all these costs were split in 2.

Anyone have any similar experience of doing this on their own on a smaller budget?. Not sure what i'm looking for other than just being told it will be grand 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

It will be grand. Do your homework, get quotes on things like surveys and solicitors and check their reviews (cheapest isn't always best). Best of luck!

Advertisement