Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Vladi

Let us know how you get on with your collection

Mine is due May 12

SE standard range white

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭crl84

What spec/colour/dealer?

e: I see above it's a grey LR exclusive from J&P Cork.

When did you order?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Ordered the start of December , its actually a cancellation I think those who ordered in the start of December are looking at June

Just had a call from Linders this evening, car went onto the ship this week, due in Ireland at the end of July, pick-up start of August.

They'll be doing the paperwork for the grant now, so that it's the full €5000.

Ordered mid-February - LR Exclusive in Grey.

Mg seem to be getting their act together ,Well wear

• Advertisement

From the MG4 FORUMS

Saturday at 5:52 PM

I got an email yesterday from Linders Finglas, and had a chat with my Sales rep. My car is due in 31st May and will be registered before that. They are expecting 300 cars to them just in May! These are mainly build to order from after December.

He said they are trying to get all of them PDI'd and a full charge at the delivery depot so they dont have to do it in the garage, and if a customer cant collect their car within a couple of days of it landing in the garage they have to release it to another customer that got the same spec, as they simply dont have the room to store the 20 or so a week they are getting! he said he will be delivering about 50 to customers a week now!

the system is being updated hourly by MG, so when your car rolls off the ferry and it scanned into the holding depot for PDI it will come up on the dealer system, so if you are waiting for info, ring your dealer, they have the info!

for those waiting hopefully the huge influx will be one of your cars

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

Hi, lots of talk of people getting deliveries soon so thought I'd add some more notes now that I've 2,500km on the car (Excite long-range).

Range

Attached is a screenshot of the range estimate after a full charge on 5th May. I can assume it's been based off my recent driving which is essentially 60km/hr onto the M50 and then 90-100km/hr on the M50. I've done this run a few times back to back (30km round-trip) as well as some recent similar, longer, drives out the M7/9 from Dublin. I can genuinely say at M50 speeds (90-100km/hr dealing with traffic), I'd get 450km from a fully charge.

I see a MG4 driver out the UK who drove across Germany at 120km/hr and was getting 390km range. I'd believe it in warm temperatures.

Charging

Most charging is on a home/work charger but I've plugged into fast chargers a few times for 20-30% top-ups. On the AppleGreen Ballymount chargers which top out at 120kW, I see sustained charging at 116kW (starting from ~20%).

Long-term parking

I left the car in Dublin airport car park for a week parked up. I left it with 50% charge and came back to...50% charge. A good sign it's not burning battery while parked up.

Boot

I was very skeptical of the boot when picking it up. It's proven me wrong - the shape is great for swallowing gear. The rear headrests are also nicely positioned so that you can take out the parcel shelf, pack gear higher and there's no risk of items flying through the car when braking, etc. On longer trips, I use the trick found elsewhere of stashing the charging cable under the bonnet - just open the bonnet, lie the cable there in its bag and when you close the bonnet it perfectly seals the cable in place. I've driven Dublin to Clare with it here without issues.

Seats

we've a toddler in the back and it's easy to get her in and out. Anyone who tells me you need an SUV - just go spend the money on a physio for your back, it'll be cheaper, better for your own well-being, and it'll be one less tall car on the road. For us adults in the front, seats are comfy - Dublin to Clare is fine without feeling like you need a break. The steering wheel is also great.

Cruise-control / self-driving

Mixed feelings on this one. Cruise-control and active cruise control (braking automatically for cars in front) works well, although it's a bit rough when going down a hill - I wouldn't call it smooth in keeping the car at the desired speed as it taps the power on and off. 'self driving' is like a 2-3 year old - at times it will do something absolutely amazing, but at other times it will actively do something...odd. I still use it all the time however as it reduces mental effort of driving, and if you have to over-power the steering when it decides to do something odd, it's not hard in the slightest - it's not like the steering wheel will be ripped out of your hands. Note that self-driving really struggles when going over the crest of even a light hill and on sharpish bends. Overall, it's good enough but not outstanding although none of these systems are by all accounts on any car, no matter the price-point. I honestly don't blame MG here - I suspect they're making the most of what is a s&*t Bosch radar system and very poor on Bosch for selling this to the masses considering these cars will still be on the road in 10-15 years!

I can genuinely say that using cruise control makes a difference to range: it keeps the car at a sustained speed without acceleration/deceleration which happens easily to all drivers who try maintain the same speed over a period of time. And self-driving also makes a difference to mental load of driving, even with you having to keep an eye on it.

Software

I haven't had the software updated since I got the car at the beginning of March. It's fine - and I just depend on CarPlay for everything anyway. On longer drives, I try remember to go into the settings and set the car to 'Eco' but many days I never remember. Why oh why can't the car remember previous settings?! The speed limit warning also warning in mph, and also re-acvtivating every single time you start the car is also an annoyance but I've stopped seeing it now on the dashboard. Related to this, and amusingly, my wife wishes it worked properly as she says the car is so fast, she wants to turn on the audible alerts to warn her to slow down 😂

Overall, it's a great car and working very well for us. I'm genuinely also glad we got the Excite long-range. The savings from the Exclusive model were used to buy a electric cargo bike (with the new €3000 government grant) also and that has been an absolute game changer also - we rarely now use the car inside the M50 ring.

Happy driving all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Cancelled my order at Sheils Galway in April

Reasons:

• Too many issues on the UK forums
    • Dealer doesn't inspire confidence either
    • No camera or nav is a no no
    • Tesla M3 2nd hand is the same price
    • Decided not to support Chinese Comunist Party of China and their subversion of the Free World (boycott as much I can)

fascinating reasons.

• UK forum issues: those who have issues shout loudest......
    • Dealers don't inspire: agreed on this one. And since purchasing the car, I've had zero contact from the dealer to check everything o.k. Astounding considering the money being handed over. Dealer model is broken/crap - roll on Tesla's vision of direct to customer sales.
    • no camera: thought I'd miss it but haven't. No sat-nav: everything is junk in comparison to Google Maps or even Apple Maps (which has ev charging destinations built in now also) so why would you pick the manufacturers over CarPlay or Android Auto?!
    • Tesla M3 2nd hand prices: can't argue with that one :) if I was buying an Exclusive, I'd be choosing a Model 3 also. At least with the Excite pricing, it was far enough away for me still to not regret the decision for a brand new car.
    • China: better stop buying quite literally any tech or manufactured item if that's the case.....

Best of luck with the Model 3 - fantastic car! (also manufactured in China ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭John arse

Tesla have a huge factory in Shanghai,China btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

I know but not under control of the CCP.

Also, Tesla starting manufacturing in Germany.

Got my car ,the first 10 kms have been great😂

• Registered Users Posts: 44 theinferior

The next ten will be especially magical ;)

Enjoy!

Hi, following up on this and the range estimate I was getting in this previous post (showing 533km in an Excite long-range). In the past week, it's been exclusively drives of Inchicore to Finglas, Inchicore to Blessington, Inchicore to Killiney and one drive through town of Inchicore to Terenure to Killiney (got to get those sea swims in 🙂) - so essentially, predominantly 100km/hr speeds (all driving outside of rush hour) with some 50-60km/hr driving at each end. I hit 25% remaining this morning after five days and.....have driven 360-370km in 75%. That puts it at 480-500km range for 0-100% - more than the official rating for the long-range model. Temps all week have been 12-18 degrees as you all know. This is in a mix of 'normal' and 'eco' mode (I still don't always remember to turn on 'eco'!), liberal use of the aircon when needed, easy-going driving (i.e. lazy on the accelerator pulling off from traffic, etc.) and use of 'self-driving on M50 at all times.

The main observation here is what seems to be above ~10-12 degrees, at 100km/hr, and not a heavy foot when pulling off from the lights, this car is fantastic for range at this time of year. Dublin to Galway and back is entirely do-able without worry (400km) and any of the other cities is easily do-able with a 15-minute top-up in one direction (and driving at 100km/hr instead of 120km/hr is likely quicker due to being more efficient and requiring a shorter charging stop...).

Post edited by usual_suspect on

Saw this on mgevs, 2023 model has some changes:

"MY23" MG4 spec changes;

Excite/Exclusive

Addition of rear wiper

Addition of rear middle headrest

Addition of rear grab handles

Exclusive Only

18" Alloys with new Aero Cover design (upgrade from 17" and whilst subject to final confirmation, homologation tests have shown the same EV range up until now) .

Two tone roof is no longer available.

The new version of the Mulan in China (first car here), and the third car at 3:27 (seemingly the updated 2023 MG4 Excite/SE) seem to show what it will be like:

(Note: Mulan already had a glass roof, so won't be getting that here, nor those seats or alloys presumably)

Given the price increases, presumably partly to pay for these "upgrades", I can't say I'd be too bothered.

Any mention of a change to the interior buttons? The addition of a temperature up/down (same as the volume ones) would fix most issues I have with the current system and mean I never have to leave CarPlay…

Post edited by usual_suspect on

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

for orders placed earlier in the year, is there a way to tell which version we will receive ?

Not sure, but I'd imagine unless it specifically mentioned MY23 when you ordered, or you paid the increased price, then it'll be the former.

I ordered mid-Feb, and it will be the original version.

The only thing on the new version I'd like would be the grab-handles. An almost uselessly small rear wiper, a headrest further obstructing rear window view, and a slightly larger version of the same wheels, isn't really worth 2k to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I finally got talking to my UIL last night about his MG4. He said he ordered his in Janurary and was told it would 6months before delivery but then 8 weeks later got a call from MG saying that the exact model and colour car was availible as someone else had ordered it 3 months prior but got thick as MG would not give them what they agreed for there old car as they had put an extra 30thosand K on their car. Was that person in this thread complaining about that?

So my UIL got it then and is very happy with it.

He just sold his 9 old Ford Mondeo this week to a local for 9k.

He loved that car but did not need such a big car anymore and says the Mg is a lovely size not too small or two big.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Saw one of these in red around Liffey Valley retail park earlier, looks well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No way. I was up there today. Was in a rush home do so did not have time to look :(

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I have 900kms done for some reason I said mine was Grey it’s actually “Ocean Blue” ….I’m in love with the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭ongarite

Lots of cars coming into country next month but MG are holding onto registering them until July plate change.

has anyone heard anything further when the cars are expected to come in June?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

I was supposed to get a call last week about mine, but it came and went. Going to get on to them tomorrow. Waiting since October 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jrbeire

From MG forums "shipping to Ireland" thread: "I have confirmation that there is a shipment coming to Ireland June 20th and July 31st.

It will take a week or two post arrival before you can collect them at the dealer."

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fawkon

Could someone please confirm the full (Incl. dealer costs) price they paid for the standard model without any additional extras?

I'm guessing if I order now I will need to plan to add €1500 on top due to the grant reduction…

Based on comments earlier in the thread, the price list here is including dealer costs - https://www.jpmg.ie/new-car/mg-4-ev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

So talked to Sheil's in Galway yesterday. The next batch is due in next week and everything from now on is going to be 232 by the sounds of things. Hoping to finally be on the road 1st week of July 🤞

Advertisement