Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Shehal

Tbh Toomaga Allan is the only one I'm really disappointed leave. Sam Carter just isnt a good enough player to warrant holding down a NIQ spot, it needs to be someone that will make a difference like RG Snyman for instance. Vermeulen has been good but I would have preferred someone in their prime, he's a quality player regardless but he wasn't exactly the Vermeulen that won the RWC was he? Not to set the bar too high but some like Pieter Steph du Toit would be a perfect sort of replacement (not a N08 ofcourse but a quality BR nonetheless).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ewersn is coming in. He's a good player that will help Ulster. Along with Timoney and McAnn, that's a good start! Then there's Lorcan Mc and McNabney who hopefully make inroads soon. Marcus Rea is a decent player too. There's also a chance that Ulster can sign someone from Leinster?

It is a big clear out, but when you put the ages of some of the players at the start of next season alongside them, a lot of it quickly becomes more understandable: 

Craig Gilroy (32)

Rob Lyttle (26)

Jordi Murphy (32)

Sam Carter (34)

Duane Vermeulen (37)

Gareth Milasinovich (30)

Jeffery Toomaga-Allen (32)

Rory Sutherland (31)

Declan Moore (27)

Frank Bradshaw-Ryan (28)

Michael McDonald should be on the list (as Declan Moore is) as he is going on a year long loan to Connacht. 

I think the exits of Gilroy, Murphy, Carter, Vermeulen are understandable based on age / production. 

Milasinovich and Bradshaw Ryan just aren't good enough, and don't improve the squad. 

Sutherland was only ever a short term signing, and they have Kitshoff coming in that position. 

The ones harder to understand for me are Jeff Toomaga-Allen and Rob Lyttle. You also have Dave Ewers coming in as the de facto Duane Vermeulen replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Vermuelen will be sorely missed imo, and I haven’t watched enough of Exeter to have an educated guess at how well we’ve replaced him. He may have been passed his prime but he saved our asses so many times with huge tackles and crucial turnovers. Carries as well as just about anyone else in our squad as well.

I like playing young players as well as anyone but I would’ve liked McCann and Sheridan to get more time in a balanced back row while vermuelen was still here. They’ve only really come along at the end of the season and they almost exclusively have played 6 - where I’m pretty sure is Dave Ewers main position.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ewers is that very typical "Big South African" (I know he's Zimbabwean) that they seem to love in the Premiership.

Solid , dependable and will always offer himself up for work, but he is not a game changer in his own right at all.

When Exeter were in their pomp 3/4 years ago he was a great balance to Sam Simmons in their back-row as Simmons does little to none of the grunt work that you'd normally expect from an 8 and Ewers picked up the slack in terms of ruck clear outs and close in defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

JTA is an NIQ so its not always completely up to the province but i’d like to keep him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Psteve232

Rob Lyttle joining Banbridge as a player coach. Seems a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

My thoughts also, really think Sheridan should be focusing on blindside and that is primarily Ewers position.

Big hopes for Crothers, McNabney & McLaughlin. Though expect they might need another season yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Crothers is so undersized. He is very good. I'd worry about the size, mind.

Crothers?

He's 6ft 2 and listed at anything from 95kg to 100kg. That's broadly similar size dimensions to Josh van der Flier, Penny, Hodnett, Kendellen etc. He's a little lighter but taller than Penny or Hodnett, and will add bulk as he progresses through the academy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If Moore doesn't recovered in time and O'Toole is at the World Cup, have we any Tight Head props at all to start next season?

Kitshoff will be at the world cup as well, as will Herring.

This is a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Next season has been on the books for a long time.

Lack of home grown talent and reluctance to give academy players game time is going to be really evident! Our hand is going to be forced a lot next year. The leavers age profiles weren't flattering, but that is a serious amount of experience to lose. Combined with less flattering games were we'll be forced to parachute players in with same expectation.

It does worry me & with that how fans react to what is potentially a season of rebuilding.

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Letting JTA go is absolutely stupid. Whoever made that decision hasn't got a clue.

He’s NIQ. Probably not all Ulster’s decision.

There has to be a Plan B here. We're told there will be no further signings.

Am I forgetting someone because if I'm not we face the possibility of having no senior contracted Tighthead props available come the start of next season.

Scott Wilson may be getting a baptism of fire next season.

I think if guys like McCann, Sheridan, McNabney etc are getting regular game time then most fans will understand there is a plan in place.

Plus Kitshoff and Ewers will add a lot to the pack as well.

But the situation at prop is just mental.

These are our props for next season

Steven Kitshoff (World Cup)

Eric O'Sullivan

Andrew Warwick

Callum Reid

Tom O'Toole (World Cup)

Marty Moore (Recovering from ACL tear)

Academy

Scott Wilson

George Saunderson

Definitely need at least one prop probably 2. We will have james french i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Game day. Let's us rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Was there any announcement about James French when he left Munster other than it saying "leaving to pursue a playing opportunity"?

I'd assumed it was to go travelling to the southern hemisphere.

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea but we're literally an injury away from James French having to play in every game, which is insane. And our first choice prop is 32 and has a serious injury, so it's not unlikely!

Letting JTA go is one of the worst decisions I've seen. If this was the IRFU they've chosen their ridiculous IQ dogma over common sense yet again and we'll pay the price for it. If it was Ulster, we have learnt nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

No announcement. One of the papers (I want to say the independent) had a one line about playing schute shield in Australia before returning to Ireland to play for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Hello fine ulster folk, quick question about parking for tonight's game: will the met college parking be available and what time would it normally fill at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

It's mentioned in the online Match Day Guide for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Maybe just outbid. I’m sure Kitshoff is eating up the budget. So maybe they couldn’t match what JTA was getting offered. I doubt IQ came into it, with Vermulen, Carter and Milasinovich leaving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

We definitely need at least one probably two. I doubt French will be ready to contribute.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Given that he got about 30 minutes in total on the pitch in 3+ years in Munster , I'd agree.

Jesus Christ don't bring that up whatever you do!

Its a strategy that I like, taking long shots on cheap deals, but yea but I wouldn’t rely on him.

I look at those deals as just a way to get a long look at a guy in training,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Am I right in saying that 7 of the Ulster squad tonight are off at the end of the season?

Advertisement