Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Neely killed by chokehold on subway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He did subdue him and that action ended up killing him. His intention was to subdue him. Unless you think he deliberately killed him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think he clearly completely recklessly killed him yes.

As I mentioned, if he is truly a veteran (or even pays any attention to the news) he would know that a chokehold is an incredibly dangerous way to subdue someone and maintaining it for that long is a very good way to kill someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Neely had not become violent and had not been threatening anyone in particular."

That rules out your latter.

This ^

you have no idea how much force he was applying. if it truly was a chokehold he would have been dead much sooner.

In the video I seen he looked pretty threatening and aggressive. Maybe not directed at a specific individual but aggressive nonetheless.

• Advertisement

you have no idea how much force he was applying.

We have SOME idea, the coroner already ruled homicide, cop on.

Not a death sentence for being a male karen.

The police threw his ass in jail 40+ other times without killing him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Too much, quite clearly.

And he kept that too much force for 15 minutes. I have zero sympathy for him and the consequences he will face.

The case obviously highlights myriad failings elsewhere in both the judicial and health systems in the US. The solution is not to give random citizens the right to summarily execute people who they think might be a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't like that the choke hold has become the go to option for young lads, even just messing with mates. It's way over the top. I remember I nearly passed out one day at a party in my twenties when some guy start play acting with me, next thing he's trying to choke me out, it's totally not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Advertisement

Go look up irony, drive-by poster.

Still nothing to actually say on the topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭mikethecop

there is no discussion , just you trying to manufacture outrage and getting called on it .

I try not to engage with you after the time you sent me over 50 unsolicited PMs on this site , remember that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

From what I know of the NYPD (and USPDs in general), they're not shy to draw, shoot and then ask questions. The fact they didn't arrest the marine after interviewing him and others who witnessed the event speaks in his favour. You weren't there. So using emotive words as you have been doing (black, white, racism, killer) paints your ideology and agenda all over the thread.

Looking at the same info you have posted, I see that a man was acting very aggressively in a confined space which caused others to be concerned for their safety. Witnesses said he was threatening other passengers (CBS News). Another man attempted to hold him until police arrived. Several passengers had to hold the aggressive passenger down.....not just the marine. The aggressive passenger died. It was ruled homicide, but you have ruled it as a hate crime and murder. All you're doing there is repeating what the likes of AOC is repeating for lefty likes.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anyone remember the black guy who walked up and put a bullet in the head of a white guy who was sitting on the side of the road?

No? Funny that.

A lot of people who train or watch MMA/JJ dont understand that that submissions are not suitable for restraining people.

Whataboutery. Feel free to produce a thread on it. Did you ever?

From what I know of the NYPD (and USPDs in general), they're not shy to draw, shoot and then ask questions. The fact they didn't arrest the marine after interviewing him and others who witnessed the event speaks in his favour.

The McMichaels were also let go by local police. It doesn't tell us anything "in his favour."

Why would I?

It's just funny that the likes of you only get up on your hight horse when there's a dead black man and a white that can be blamed because that suits your agenda

If a black guy had executed a white man who was minding his own business, you'd be damn sure we'd have heard plenty about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf it probably isn't racism its just the general lack of IQ with most American Police/Army folk.

The only way they know how to solve any type of problem whatsoever is kill it. The much talked about "training" is a bit of a dud.

Hanging your hat on the Arbery case? Another criminal with a history of violence and possession of a firearm with intent. All that info found in a 30 second google.

Finding a case where the police let someone go who was later charged and convicted does not discredit what I said. It just shows you're clutching at straws. The police who have experience can and will arrest someone if there is any doubt about their story, or their innocence. In the case relevant to this discussion, there were about a dozen immediate proximity witnesses, half of whom had statements taken at the time. The police saw no reason to arrest the marine.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

F**$ around = found out

Violent repeat offender who preyed on those he could bully meets his demise through violence from someone he could not bully.

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a 1000 times, racists are dangerous, but even more dangerous are folks who constantly look for racism in every walk of life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The point the OP seems to making is look how Racist America is, along with many of their other posts harping on a similar theme. What it lacks is context. That transport hubs here and in the US are becoming more adverse to commute is no surprise: in the decades I've spend on Trains the security staff have gone from a single eldery guard to pairs of security men in protective clothing. Part and parcel of a changing ireland.

As for the incident in the US itself, why would any security or policeman bother to get involved in a inter-passenger dispute as the risks to them in such a charged atmosphere where the slightest misstep risks civil and criminal penalties. Once they have defunded/neutered the police, is it anyone wonder that the public must protect themselves. It is quite easy to mouth pious progressives platitudes after the fact, but I personally in a similar situation would have slunk away and hoped someone would have stepped up as did the several passengers in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You're certainly not a drive by poster, thats true.

Its full time race baiting with you.

What I see from the OP in general is not just "Racist America", it's more "black good, white bad.......woman good, man bad......LGBT++++++ good, hetero bad.....left good, science bad". That's just what I have observed though. That and the OP seems obsessed with spreading American divisive culture on our humble little boards platform.

Stay Free

OP doesn’t care when white people are killed by black people even though that happens way more often. Race baiter.

For sure, and I think what makes this worse is the fact that these kinds of dreadful stories are looked upon by some as "opportunities" to spread more divisiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Galaxy00

I don't have the full context of the situation as i was not there and I don't have figures about Ireland but in the UK it's important to note that being black means you'll be more likely to be stopped and searched by the police compared to white people. In the last 30 years there have been almost 1800 deaths in uk police custody, with almost 200 Black, Asian and ethnic minority (BAME) individuals dying in either police custody or following police contact. Colonialism (direct control over a territory and it's people i.e. Starting with enslaved Africans in 1619) is where it began. To be colonized is to have your personhood, humanity, and the historic existence of your community denied and completely disregarded, to be denied rights as humans and to be dominated. And then imperialism takes over. We have unconscious bias, affinity bias, in-group bias, ethnocentrism and there's systemic racism. Black people are far less likely to seek mental health care compared to white people due to unequal access to health care but also due to a lack of cultural sensitivity by health care professionals. Lack of trust after being mistreated in the past, historical and intergenerational trauma is no doubt a fair reason too. I'm white and white privilege means not thinking about racism most of the time 🤷‍♀️

Whatever the reasons, it's extremely sad this man died and hopefully some justice will be given.

This kind of political philosophy is what contributes to division in society, increasing the risk of racism - the idea of pitting group against group in the hope of achieving some kind of imagined utopia in the future.

It's about stoking the flames, even if it's fashioned and articulated as well-intended by its proponents (who understand perfectly well what they're doing). Yet we're having this discussion even though there isn't a shred of evidence, to date at least, that this case was motivated by racism.

Instead, what's being demanded of us is that we accept racism probably played a role, and so we need to revert back to the kind of thinking you've put forward. As I say, this entire narrative - supported by the OP and elsewhere - is incredibly divisive and I'm starting to think that's the whole point to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Apparently we can forget about that and never mention it again because he was arrested and charged.

Advertisement