Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Options
  • 04-05-2023 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Really how is there not a thread about this film?

I have looked.

Anyway going to see it today looking forward to it :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I tried a narrow search across the Film forum, and no, no thread was ever created 🤷‍♂️ I'd imagine it came up in the generalised thread covering the MCU as a whole though; TBH it's probably a reflection of where the MCU is that not every film gets a thread.

By all accounts early reviews seem to be pretty praiseworthy, with Gunn's swan-song apparently dropping the mic. with gusto.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know a lot of focus will be on its 'emotional' and darker side, and that stuff mostly works even if it's brute force sentimentality at times. But I think the reason this film works is that moreso than any other film in the MCU - even, IIRC, the previous GotG - is that it embraces the sheer goofiness of the premise. It's a film full of weird creatures, profoundly silly costumes, a neat Robocop make-up callback, and frequently vibrant colours. And I think that's something that's often been missing in MCU films. This is endearingly, proudly wacky, like a 90s cartoon in the nicest way. Gunn has matured as a director so is better able to accomplish what he's trying to do.

It still has the MCU problem of an overbusy third act, and it has too many characters it is trying to balance (although, mercifully, it's entirely self-contained - it's overloaded with characters on its own terms rather than wider MCU terms). For all the delightfully grotesque CG war pigs, there is a CG-heavy finale including an incoherent space battle and a 'one shot' action scene that's all computer-generated. But it's the most internally consistent and fun MCU film in I don't know how ever long - even when it's big and loud and familiar, it doesn't lose the grip of its own tone and story in the way Wakanda Forever did.

A great film? No, not at all. But it's a good time, and by recent MCU standards that's a borderline miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well seen it today and enjoyed it, plenty of good laughs and humour in it some does not quiet hit the mark but most does.

I would give it an 8 out of 10. A couple of little bits that your like did they forget about physics buts it's an MCU film so that's to be expected. It was better than the 2nd film bit still not as good as the first one. There is two scenes after the credits both quiet forgetful but the 2nd scene is nothing special,

It just has Peter talking to his Dad about nothing important and then says

The Starlord will be back

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Deadline and Variety are putting out numbers that indicates its going to be a flop, not helped by its 250m budget, if it only does around 110m in the opening US, its pretty much DOA.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Saw it today. Proof that the MCU is probably losing its most inventive, creative lead with Gunn departing; this was brazenly emotional, raw and imaginative. All in a way Quantumania couldn't manage for a moment. Leagues apart from some of the warmed up banality served in recent entries; Gunn basically stole Waititi's lunch.

Yeah the 3rd act got a bit messy but the character work was solid, and everyone had a part to play. Nebula's redemption was low-key the strongest part of the cast's arcs IMO. And anyone wondering if it's kid friendly - no way. Animal torture, some scary monstrosities and even a bit of close up, fleshy gore at one point. Dunno how Gunn managed to get away with much of it, cos it pushed PG13 to breaking.

• Advertisement
    Ms

I have to say I was dissapointed with Zoe Saldanas acting in it. She did not seem to put as much effort into this film as the last two.

Did you stay to watch the after credit scenes?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Watched the mid credits scene but unless I'm watching at home I don't stay for the very end one. I got shít to do, lol. Why?

And yeah, Gamora seemed a bit off but don't think it was Saldana. Tbh she had nowhere to go as a character bar rediscovering how to care; but we know she can, cos we had seen it first time around. As I said, Nebula learning to open up, respect and empathise with others beyond leading the team was a far more valid and interesting arc. At the end when

We see her laugh, reflexively, while dancing, it was a really sweet and earned moment.

But then I realise I might be a sucker for Nebula anyway, cos even cybernetic and covered in blue have a crush on Karen Gillan - so could be biased lol 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On Gamora…

I actually really appreciated what they did with her character and the Gamora / Quill relationship here. The easiest thing in the world would have been to get the two back together, and the film does tease that with the warming of their interactions throughout the film. But Gunn’s decision to let them part ways worked really well for me, and emphasised that this Gamora is a different person than the from the earlier films, with her life having gone down a different path. Quill too learns to accept the Gamora he knew is gone, and ultimately respects this Gamora’s decision to follow her own path.That’s a mature place to end on, and given Saldana seems pretty unambiguously done with the series it’s also a nice character and relationship wrap up that hopefully won’t be undone in Gunn’s absence.

I do think at least some of the Guardians will come back post-Gunn - Pratt has said he’s open to it - but with Saldana and Bautista hanging up their boots I’m also really relieved Gunn didn’t go the Endgame route of cheap deaths. This is a bittersweet ending given some of the characters part ways and because this iteration of the Guardians seems definitively done and dusted. But yeah that Gunn pulled it off without killing any of them off I think makes it land better.

The Guardians films have always had a surprisingly nuanced, mature depth to its character dynamics. Superficially glib and jokey sure but built on this idea of broken people coming to terms with themselves and finding growth without indulging in total cliched end results.

Seen from a certain angle, the entire second film was basically about parenthood and Peter learning to grow up a little. This YouTube author did an interesting breakdown of Guardians 2, coming from someone who doesn't even like the MCU that much, diving into the themes she saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Seen it earlier. Loved it, loved the colour and weirdness of it. After so many dark (as in barely able to see what's happening), the brightness and fun parts of this really shone.

But when it went bleak, by god it could pull at your heartstrings, yes sometimes using cheap tricks - cute animals saying Friend.

Proper send off to the trilogy. Everyone having character development and progress

Edit: just to agree with @pixelburp above, it's very borderline PG, I wouldn't bring younger kids to it. Apart from the fact that it's the 1st Marvel movie to say F..., there's a fair bit of darkness, especially regards animal testing

Post edited by Patser on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A soundtrack again I need

Ms

Watched the mid credits scene but unless I'm watching at home I don't stay for the very end one. I got shít to do, lol. Why?

Was just curious. You missed nothing.

I have what it is in the spoiler above if you want to know. I was in a big need to go to the toilet and almost out the door when it came up. Really not worth waiting for.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Another disappointment in my opinion for the MCU. I think the hype train has gotten too big for them to ever deliver on it.

It did not deliver what it promised it would. And the ending was so contrived and disappointing. Rockets backstory was heartbreaking though to the point I just wanted it to end and get back to the modern timeline. Disappointing to say the least and it looks like the MCU is going to limp its way all the way to Secret wars and possible die there.

I usually just look up the end-end credits online, and these days seem more little winks these days than anything. And those that aren't have become a little too aggressively "here's the next random character to look out for".

Forgot to shout out some praise to Chukwudi Iwuji, whose Big Bad was pretty good; just the right level or ham but also having an interesting angle too. As always with these things, bad guys who genuinely believe they're doing good always make for more fascinating, dangerous enemies.

Curious what you thought it promised? For sure the fact

Nobody died was disappointing, but on reflection this group didn't deserve death as a reward for their journey. Gunn's not immune to that - see his Suicide Squad - but it would have been mean IMO to have these folk die at the end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I though it okay. The cast were as engaged as always but the plot seemed rather meandering with the trademark Guardians touches dialled up to 11. Nice though to see the cameo by Nathan Fillon (Serenity/Firefly).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The entire marketing pretty much rested on Rocket dying. Almost ever major outlet reporting Drax was going to be killed off and Star Lord was done with Marcel completely. The end credit reveals star Lord is returning.

The last scene of them one by one going i must leave the guardians, and I must leave and I must leave was so forced. It essentially leaves them all open to return at any time. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,962 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think that was the strongest marvel film for a while.

I admit to tearing up a couple of times.

I will say maybe a bit scary for younger kids at times. Darker and with a smidge less humour than other guardian films.

The animal cruelty was pretty tough to watch at times, but best not to sugar coat these things I suppose.

Would have liked to see Will Poulter getting a bit more screen time but I am guessing that will come. Up for more Cosmo too :)

Two little extra scenes were fun, one right at end of credits

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I really enjoyed it. Maybe just because it stands so far above much of what the MCU has put out the past 18 months, but I think the actual story they told was fantastic.

The easy thing would have been to have a death or two, especially as some of the actors have already said they're not interested in coming back. And it was pretty clear by how much they signposted Rocket's death in the trailers that he wouldn't actually be the death if any. But instead they told a great story where some of Guardians just discover a new purpose, or have realised it's time to move on.

It did languish in places, particularly the last third. Iwuji and Poulter were both terrific, though I would have liked more of Poulter.

It's the first MCU film since Spiderman NWH that I'm actually looking forward to watching again.

Ms

I am actually very dissapointed that no one is showing GOTG Vol.2 anywhere. It's not like it is only recently out it was out 5 years ago. I highly recommend watching Vol.2 before Vol.3 if you can.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

I thought it was ok but as someone mentioned already, it kind of lost the plot in the 3rd act. It was like they were desperately making it up as they went along. The next episode though could be a good one though.

Ostensibly disappointing but to me it was all in the execution: this felt like an ending, heroes given a chance to walk away with their stories tied in a bow, rather than

... dying in some cheap blaze of glory. While yes it felt like the door was being left open, folks like Batista have been quite vocal about how done they were with the MCU. I daresay he and Gillan will be conveniently too busy running their little sanctuary in Nowhere to cameo in future.

Killing characters off is easy, and lazy drama. Giving them a fitting, satisfying ending they can live in is much harder - but IMO more rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Good movie. Very high quality stuff. But I was sad for 90% of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It was very good, but not really great. The Adam arc was a bit ham fisted in, didn't really get to know that character very well.

Remind me, was Quills Star Lord mask destroyed earlier? Because that whole not making it to the jump "death" made no sense to me.

Die at secret wars? There are a massive slate of films and TV shows it is going nowhere for years (if ever...reboots etc). The quality recently has been err let's say kindly variable to say the least, but the films still in general make decent amounts of dough (Thor love and thunder made it over 750 million, even on 250 million budget some decent profit).

I do think the whole multiverse thing has lessoned the impact and weight of anything that happens (oh he/she is dead...no worries we will just grab another version of them). I would say Marvel are pretty raging at Jonathan Majors though! I see some people are suggesting

Replacing him with Chukwudi Iwuji who in fairness was a really good villain in GOTG 3.

I think his mask was destroyed in Vol.2, but then he had it and his thrusters in Infinity War and Endgame. So it's unclear if Gunn wanted to get rid of them and the Russo's brought them back against his wishes, or if Gunn just really wanted that awful "Creation of Adam" shot in the film where Adam reaches out with his finger and so just forgot about the mask and thrusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Saw this in IMAX 3D today. Quite simply the best 3D conversion I've ever seen, better than Dredd, better than both Avatars.

Probably on par with Hugo (which was shot in 3D)

The feeling of immersion was incredible, was almost like being on set in VR.

Enjoyed the movie too of course, teared up a bit over poor Rocket.

I had to look at what Iwuji was in prior to this cos he was absolutely magnetic. The issue of MCU villains has yielded plenty of ranting and think pieces, but the High Evolutionary was fantastic. Not especially deep or relatable but just an all-round well written villain. While his comeuppance was a genuine "whoah!" moment of surprise.

Opening weekend domestic of 114 million, 282 worldwide. Not exactly kicking the door down but given by now it must be noticed Disney throw these films on Disney+ soon after release, it's a tidy sum all the same. We'll see if the hand wringing over "animal cruelty" helps give this film legs at all, or keeps the kiddos away.

Funnily enough the first thing I always think of when I see him is he was a Secret Service agent in an episode of Doctor Who more than 10 years ago. He was terrific in Peacemaker though, and hope this leads to bigger and better roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

on the plus side there isnt much competition for a few weeks, downside , paying parents will have just shelled out on Mario plus you have the perception of the movie being a sad one so might be a bit of a put off. Youll know next week if the drop off is either side of 60%

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement