Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre duct question

Options
  • 01-05-2023 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, I recently had a KN Circet engineer turn up for a FTTH install, but wouldn't proceed and said it had to be sent to civils as he couldn't access the duct.

I've since exposed the duct and have requested a revisit. I just want to check beforehand that I've exposed the correct thing as I'm confused as to why the white telephone cable attached to the black box (sorry I don't know the terminology) seems to run off somewhere else. Is it possible there's another duct, or does that cable just go internally to the house?

Apologies if this should be obvious, but I don't want to risk another recall. See attached photos for before and after. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭_John C

Yes. That's the correct duct. Black cable is the phoneline from the openeir network to your house. The new fibre cable will come through the red duct with the black cable.The white one is the phone line going to your master phone socket in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bertiew

Thanks John. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭grimeire

what a lazy installer if he stuck his head in he would of been able to see the duct through the existing hole and it would of taken him two seconds with a multi tool to cut the back of the box to get at the duct.

Can't help but think they are paid by the call out. Literally all you had to do was push your finger through the hole to find it.

Very frustrating has cost me 4 weeks wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

they're not. paid by completion of job or if it needs a survey, he would of gotten nothing for that. utter laziness

sorry just copped you said he sent that back for civils so a survey which is not worth much

can i ask what part of the country that was in

utter utter laziness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Had th exact same thing happen last week. Gave the impression that he couldn't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

I'm surprised they are paid per job. I got the feeling they had no intention of connecting me on the day. I had a relatively straight forward install but they refused to use and existing metal pole on my house. Varying excuses. So I need a single pole on my land (3weeks ago) heard nothing since. Contacted NBI for an update and they said they were waiting on permission which had now been granted. The pole is on my land so why did they need permission? Also they didnt actually ask me for permission (other than discussing it on the day) so how was it granted?

Then my mother in law also had a straight forward install. She had a copper line already there and connected. Made some excuse about needing a hoist. How can they come to an install with no hoist anyway? unless its someone not there to actually connect at all and instead fog you off. Incidentally as soon as she preordered they disconnected her copper line. without asking or even notifying her. No mobile covereage so now now internet unless she puts a pole and booster for LTE. I know another that this has heppened to. Both are existing vodafone customers who order fibre with vodafone.

I have neighbours who have had similar issues where they are not connected on the day. My area has been available for preorder for 9 weeks and ready to connect for 5 weeks and I dont know a single person my my DP connected yet.

On all the visits that I know from KN, they all sent a single installer. Not a a pair or a team. Is this normal if they are going to connect you on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

cables aren’t allowed to be hung on metal poles. Some will get away with it if the pole is like 15m away and not crossing a road or anything. but if the drop is going be over 40 they won’t do it as too much tension it’s not Kn making the rules. There following guidelines set out by openeir / nbi

with regards sending a team out they always send a single engineer out to access the situation. No point sending a full crew then finding out there’s a problem. Better to send one tech get the lay of land of see what’s involved.

pretty sure on nbi they send an engineer to survey job first in most cases.

South East

• Advertisement

Their reputation was somewhat salvaged by the second engineer Tony, who could not have been more professional and made sure the job was done, despite other problems on the day.

All up and running now thankfully

Advertisement