Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What immediately screams "tosser" to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Read the post before ya post please. Cyclists aren't muppets in general. Just the boys who take the piss.

Btw I don't need to be a cyclist to know theres desperately bad drivers on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Check the title of the thread. It might not be the thread for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anyone that calls them CEO when they are just a sole trader or have a small company

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

I wandered into a thread where keyboard warriors were labelling people as 'tossers.' Unsurprisingly for me and unknowingly to the posters doing the labelling, it's quite apparent who the actual 'tossers' are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement

So you deliberately clicked on a thread that you knew you wouldn't like and would find triggering? And you're complaining to me about a reply I posted 3 months ago? You're a funny one!

Addendum to previous list:

People without a sense of humour.

People picking arguments where there are none.

People who don't like the word tosser but act like the definition of a tosser.

Lighten up mate. Life's too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen fans.I love both of them but its the people who go completely overboard about them who are complete tossers.

If Bob Dylan farted some of his fans would try to claim it was a cutting statement about modern life.

And the Bruce Springsteen fans who seem convinced that Bruce has spent most of his life working in a steel mill and writing a few tunes on the side, forgetting of course he's been living in Hollywood for half of his life.A lot of his fans seem convinced that him and the E- Street band are actually close friends of theirs.

• People who nonstop complain about everyone else being the bad gal/boy

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Cliches. That's it? You're bellowing about smoking outdoors and vain men? I'm subsequently defined by you as one of your many 'tossers'.

Fine. Your dime. I couldn't give a bollocks for that. I'm triggered? It's a nothing term for gen z dumb arse twats.

'Lighten up mate. Life's too short' .......

Which of your grandad's born in the 1970's taught you that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I wouldn’t say a tosser but have the makings of a tosser?

• Advertisement

This fcuking guy! :) For someone who doesn't like the terms triggered or tosser, you sure are acting like a triggered tosser. If you go back to my original post, you'll find that I said people smoking who BLOCK the door into a pub, and EXCESSIVE vanity especially in men, but hey, why pay attention to detail when it's easier to get worked up first? Also I don't think posting a reply to a thread is "bellowing." I don't recall using ALL CAPS!!! By your definition everybody on this thread is bellowing. Again, if it's not for you move on.

"Grandad's born in the 1970's?" A slightly odd phrasing. Take a chill pill dude! (my other grandad was a stoner hippy before you ask).

You need to chill out and cool your jets, my friend. Coming across as slightly unhinged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Tossers on planes.

"Model Tosser" on our flight last week, comes aboard with his missus and 2 kids in tow, immediately states to the head flight attendant, "Listen, bit of an issue here, we left it till last minute to book our flight, we couldn't book our seats together, what are ye going to do to get us all sat together?"

Flight attendant just shakes her head and tell him to take the free seats and she will see once the plane is fully boarded.

Nope, this isn't good enough for jumped up little jackeen and his stupid wife, she asked, "where can we stand while you sort this out?"

Flight attendant repeats previous instructions.

"Yis would want to get yer acts together, oi'll be maykin a complaints against yis".

Flight attendant repeats previous instructions.

Off he goes mouthing his way down the plane.

He gave them guff the whole flight, and we didn't see them when we all hit arrivals on the other end. Hope they were held back and Airlines had words.

Tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Men driving white cars.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Springsteen fans are the worst, bore the ears off you about "how great he was in belgrade in 2005 but still doesnt beat the gig in chicago in 1991. 5th time seeing him in Ireland, going sunday as well....blahblahblah". All to hear "HURGDRRGHURRGDRGG LAST CHANCE POWER DRIVE" for the millionth time with a crowd of luvvies out of their box on prosecco.

And the weird need to have springsteen validate Ireland - "oh i bet he'll be in the long hall tomorrow, its his favourite pub dont you know." "Hope he gave a free ticket and met charlie bird he deserves it", "great to see him visit shane mcgowan, theyre best friends" etc.

Just feck off, sycophantic nonsense.

(Full disclosure - i cannot stand springsteen's music)

"Eeeeggghhhrrrrraaaammmmmm worked in a faaaaactorrry dowwwwn towwwwnn, just liiiike myyy daaaaddy dooone!

Was I talking to you? Mind your own business. If somebody picks an argument with me I'm going to argue back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Why was I "warned" over my post?.....it's absolutely ridiculous.

I've cycled tens of thousands of kms over many many years. I've the experience so many near misses to validate why I said.

I've had 3 frightening incidents when I thought I was a gonner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

So it's just the cyclist who cycles down the middle of the road.......sorry.....I meant middle of the lane.

There's a reason why a cyclist may choose to cycle down the middle.......it's definitely not to annoy the motorist no matter what you may believe.

We all know there are bad road users. People who don't cycle don't understand how bad it actually. It can be absolutely frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,544 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Any particular reason or is this an instinctive thing? Either answer is ok :)

I'm not seeing the obvious connection between men in white cars and tossers...

What if they bought one second hand and wanted a particular model and it happened to be white?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭boardise

You're propounding an erroneous restricted idea of 'Irish culture'. What you have in mind is more accurately termed 'Gaelic culture' -which is a subset of Irish culture as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of anger building on this thread.

Could I refer posters to the platform dictat “Don’t be a tosser”.

Hope the Mods don’t attack me for that… doing my best …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Spencer is actually english. Vogue is from Dublin alright. You got the jumped up and stupid part right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I always thought “Jackeen” and “Culchie” were, somewhat, acceptable descriptors. Harmless, and without intent.

I’ve seen some on here get all worked up over the C-word being used but, surely, “bogger” is crossing a line? There’s intent there.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Vita nova

"Jackeen" literally means little Englander/Englishman and has been used as an insult for Dubliners for centuries but 100 years after independence it's quite outdated and inaccurate, and as mentioned above its use is usually indicative of a tosser.

"Culchie" is a synonym for an unsophisticated countryperson and if you get a Dubliner that insists that everyone outside Dublin is a culchie then you're generally dealing with a tosser. While you'll get some rural people that identify as culchies, try telling someone from Turner's cross or Knocknaheeny in Cork or Moyross in Limerick that they're all culchies and they'll laugh at you.

As for bogger, always thought it was more of a joke than anything else because like muck-savage it's too OTT to be taken seriously as a label.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I dunno, VN, I thought we took back “Jackeen” in the 70s with Heffo’s army, and all that.

A culchie, to me anyway, is anyone from outside Dublin and the North. If I’m being honest, I’d nearly apply the term to anyone outside the M50(!).

But I wouldn’t see it as an insult. Calling them a “country person” sounds a bit off, bogger, bumpkin, mulchie, mulcher, hick, clodhopper all sound too far. Then ones like redneck or hayseed sound too American.

Calling someone from the country a bogger, or turf muncher, is pretty bad in my book. Culchie is fine and Jackeen is fine for a Dub too. Maybe others won’t agree but you can’t please everyone.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You know the way sometimes we in Ireland say hello to people we dont know. The people who dont say hello back are Tossers.

I was in a lift with my parents once in a hotel, there was a Tosser in the lift with his friend talking $hite, my dad says how are ye? to the 2 guys, no response like he was a ghost or something, absolute pair of Tossers in my opinion, it wouldnt have killed them to say how are ya back. Then you hear that Irish people are so friendly lol

Advertisement