Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cheers. The normal covert is £75 on amazon.co.uk which is too rich for my tastes, mini is out of stock. Mini is in stock and €50 on .de but would need to use an adapter so might go for that one. I have the Switch sitting on a Hori plastic stand thing when downstairs so get's decent ventilation anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just checked. I got the original dock for 44 stg delivered a couple of years ago from Amazon uk. So, it's a tiny portable dock + power supply.

There are cheaper ones with/without power supplies. That may/may not fry your Switch. I am sure the Switch frying issue has been solved by now.

... but this mess led me to get the genki one.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Random question for people dos anyone have something like say a Spotify family but for Nintendo online ? Happily buy a slot of someone

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭jj880

There is Nintendo Online Family membership for 8 accounts. Currently discounted on cdkeys:

Expand the Information section in this link for exactly whats included...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Worth it just for minish cap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

I will happily start a family so if anyone wants a slot DM me and will get this sorted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And the award for the Boards comment easiest to take out of context goes to ...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

People willing to start a family for Nintendo online.

What would they do for a sealed copy of Super Mario Brothers?

• Advertisement

Can't seem to buy from cdkeys with my credit card anymore. Keeps getting blocked. Time to top up my pay pal account, which I haven't used in 15 years. Just want to get those extra Mario Kart tracks discounted.

Yep, bank app gets notified to approve and I approve, but nothing happens. Then an SMS from bank to say card has been blocked. And phone call to bank to unblock. Happened twice. So, PayPal it is.

Nintendo says no new hardware will release this fiscal year, which ends 31st March 2024

While I'd like to see new Nintendo hardware yesterday, it makes sense to wait until their fiscal year ends in 2024. I can see Nintendo announcing new hardware in January or February and releasing it in April or May. Switch hardware sales are slowing, they are down year-on-year, and those were down on the year previous. Nintendo have lowered their forecast for the following year as well. If they announce anything this year, it would slow down Switch sales even further and Nintendo wouldn't want to mess up their Christmas sales period.

Nintendo profits dip to $6.6 billion after year of hardware struggles

Nikkei Asia: development of a Switch successor is progressing well according to sources close to Nintendo, but it won't launch before next spring at the earliest

Post edited by sligeach on

Soon as I complete TOTK I'll be selling up my Switch unless another big game I want pops up before then.

If it's anything like Botw you'll still be playing in 2030

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Unless the replacement is 100% backwards compatible I don't think my Switch is ever going anywhere.

Trying to remember what Nintendo machines have been backwards compatible out of the box - was it just some of the handhelds? Like GBC that would also play GB games and the 3DS could play DS games? Don't think any of their main consoles let you play previous games?

Ignoring things like the Super Game Boy for the Snes or Game Boy Player for the GC of course. 🙂

Original ds and DS lite played GBA carts early Wii model played GameCube discs unless I imagined that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Wii U played Wii stuff as well. Which was great, because it meant you had something to play while Nintendo rapidly gave up on the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, Wii played GameCube games and Wii U played Wii games. You could even play Wii games using the gamepad as a screen if I remember correctly, since think it had a built in sensor.

Hopefully it will be. I guess Im trying to get some cash for it at the best time as cant afford to be leaving consoles lying about anymore then giving them away when the missus demands a tech clear out. Have ps5, quest 2 and switch here so want to get something for them before the next gens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

I see a revision to the Lite console launching later this year. I don't know if it will necessarily have an OLED screen but I can see it receiving a glow-up, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

Like a redesign to make it look nicer than the original Lite. It'd be sleeker, something along the lines of what the *New* 3DS did to the OG 3DS. I don't think it'd go for an OLED screen though as I have seen on other forums, though.

Nintendo hints its next console could be announced closer to launch than Switch was

"While we’re not at a stage to discuss specifics about a potential next-gen console, we’re continually considering innovative ideas that could offer new and unique experiences. We’re developing a variety of things with that future in mind."

“Sustaining the Switch’s sales momentum will be difficult in its seventh year,” Furukawa acknowledged. “Our goal of selling 15 million units this fiscal year is a bit of stretch. But we will do our best to bolster demand going into the holiday season so that we can achieve the goal.”

This is way more than Nintendo have talked about in the past when asked about a Switch successor. And the last bit, suggests to me at least that the announcement will come early next year.

To me the release of TOTK signals the beginning of the end for Switch. With BOTW, Nintendo were going from a platform they car crashed from inception to the end, to a new system where sales couldn't have been worse than Wii U. A dual launch made sense then.

Going from Switch to the next platform, Nintendo have almost never had better hardware sales numbers. They've no idea if it'll do as well as Switch, history would suggest it won't. Anyway, it's the complete opposite of Wii U and the launch of a new Zelda.

Nintendo would have been foolish to announce a dual launch of TOTK. They wouldn't have been able to produce the hardware in high enough numbers to match the demand for the game. That takes years. They already have an install base of 125+ million Switch units out in the wild. A dual launch also would have dampened Switch TOTK sales. Why have burger when you can have steak? They're going to rinse the Switch market and then they're going to come back around this time next year and sell the game all over again to would be Switch 2 customers. Nicer graphics, higher resolution, higher frame rate, etc. But is that enough? 

Do you know what else is different from the launch of BOTW and TOTK? Nintendo announced DLC a month prior to the launch of BOTW. Not this time around, not a whisper of it. I think they're keeping that announcement for the reveal of the Switch 2. As an extra incentive for people to double dip on TOTK, playing it on better hardware. Possibly with the DLC shipping on cartridge(or whatever medium they use) as a special edition for the next system.

Nintendo Switch made $69 billion in total revenues

Impressive. But I disagree with this statement. 

"The Switch has had a remarkable 7-year run, and the hardware is only just now starting to slow down."

Switch hardware sales have been slowing for the past couple of years.

Is it not just over 6 years. March 2017 ?

• Advertisement

Nintendo Switch 2 might ditch backward compatibility

Advertisement