Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Paul Murphy - please read the OP before posting

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

I already explained above why you are wrong, please read it again, or get someone else to explain it to you.

As for the personal abuse, I thought that wasn't allowed here, and it certainly shows up your inability to sustain a coherent argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Paul Murphy only got 6.63% of the First preferenve vote in Dublin South West in the 2020 General election . Possibly the lowest first preference percentage of any TD elected.

Sean Crowes huge surplus with no running SF candidate same Murphy pick up a lot of second prefernces. They will all go the second Sinn Fein candidate next time meaning Paul Murphy is highly unlikely to get elected and all his WOKE mad stuff will be history.

Interesting, didn't know his personal vote was that tight, and that he relied so heavily on the vagaries of the sf transfers.

Wouldn't it be a tragedy if he lost his seat next time 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In fairness your analogy is somewhat weak.

Bailiffs only come into play after a long legal process during which the homeowner is represented at every step.

Can you see that is different to a random group of people arriving at a house with placards to protest because they have a problem with one of the occupants ?

To be fair, it is different.

Bailiffs come into the house, Paul's protestors were outside on a public road.

• Advertisement

So can we set it aside and concentrate on the matter at hand ?

Protest is allowed and facilitated.

Nobody is saying protest should be outlawed.

What we are saying is that protest outside politicians private homes is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thats a completely fair analogy. Your bosses and customers protesting outside your house everytime you do something they disagree with.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Was it ever explained by Paul or his wife how exactly the 1/2 doz or so people standing on the public pavement stopped them from feeding the baby?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think they were about to bathe the baby but I'm not aware if he said that they were unable to do so. My recollection was that his point was that people should not be protesting outside a politician's home - which is one of the few things I'd would agree with Murphy on. Anyone who thinks this behaviour is ok, needs to really look at their moral compass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Economics101

Muxh as I detest PM's politics and his antics, I would prefer him to a Shinner. And that says a lot! 😁

Are you prepared to stick your address up on a public forum so people who disagree with you on various matters could call around if they had nothing better to do in their sad little lives?

Of course not and there's no way in hell I would either. But politicians don't really have a choice, they have to expose their private life to the public to quite an extent, probably more so in Ireland than other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I don’t agree with going to politicians houses at all. I agree with the “sad little lives”. That’s more or less it in a nutshell.

Equally, I think that for the future, Murphy should leave his baby out of it. He almost implies here that he wouldn’t have cared about the protestors only for the baby. Why quantify it like that?

He was perfectly justified IMHO to mention how a protest at his home intrudes into his family life.

Politically I think he's a complete cretin but this sort of protest is entirely out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

protesting outside a politicians home is astonishing ignorance, the functions of government are very complex and go way beyond the beliefs and actions of a single politician....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I agree that politicians houses should not be targeted. However I have no sympathy for Murphy, his carry on during the water protest was nothing short of a disgrace. What happened with Joan Bruton ( and I do not like her either) was contemptible and the blame lies squarely with him in the way he stoked up the mob similar to Donald Trump in the January riot in Washington.

The reason he got away without going to jail is similar to the Gerry Hutch case the DOP failed to charge him with lesser offences. See the case in the UK with Ger Dundon. He was convicted false imprisonment as he was charged with that as well as kidnapping.

Slava Ukrainii

The legal system here is a joke , Good to see that excuse of a human being Ger Dundon getting 15 years for his scumm carry on in the UK where theres a decent judicial set up .

In ireland he probably would have got a third of the sentence with our soft judges & Moralless free legal aid solicitors plus we dont have enough prisons for the growing pool of scumm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Don't get too excited, Dundon will likely be out in half that. He'll be eligigable for parole in 7 and will most probably be released on licence as long as he doesn't get up to anything in the big house.

He'll serve plenty more than 7 years , dont worry. The UK system doesnt let scumm like this out until at least 2/3 served, they try to protect the law abiding society over there unlike the soft irish system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Except that they do. Release on licence when eligable for parole is a common occurance in the UK, and he's more likely to be out around then than not. The judge did not apply an extended licence, and he's up for parole in 7.

• Advertisement

Paul Murphy was speaking in the context of a protest outside his house.

The Debenhams workers were correct in protesting outside their former workplace.

The Debenhams workers protested outside Dail Eireann on several occasions and were supported by PBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

To me this talk of a housing referendum is a load of nonsense that will change nothing. Let's assume such a referendum is passed, it will only deliver a load of crap housing for those who have given up on life.

What about someone who wants to buy a decent house from (that is not necessarily new) and just wants to buy it in an unrigged market?

The economic consequences of borrowing 200 billion euro since 2008 have to be paid for and because it was used to inflate property prices, ideally it should be paid for by the beneficiaries, like the property rich Sinners and people like Paul Murphy who seem to think people like renting other people's houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You know what will happen if a housing referendum is passed. People will sue the government for compensation and instead of spending it on a house, will spend it on anything else.

Advertisement