Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

While alot has been made about crowley and healy being picked for Munster the last few weeks and carberry missing out since the Sharks loss in Europe.

Less has been made about the fact that Conor Murray is back as the first choice 9 with munster and Playing past 70 minutes the last 2 weeks against the bigger south African packs and picked to start again this week.

I wonder does this leave the gap open for Blade or even mcgrath or doak to sneak into the irish squad at the expense of Casey.

Casey had an excellent opportunity to get ahead of Murray this year at munster and failed to capitalise on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

McGrath is miles off. His passing just is nowhere near good enough. I could maybe see Blade sliding in, who I think is a better player than Casey. But so much time has been invested in Casey I think it's unlikely. But then again, Farrell isn't afraid to make big calls.

TBF - I don't think Casey's form has diminished hugely, just Murray's form has been excellent since the 6N.

Couldn't see a scenario where Luke McGrath or Nathan Doak were picked ahead of him (from being way outside at the moment) - they're totally different styles of players.

Big moment this weekend, and potentially last chance for some, for a few players to stake their hand for RWC consideration - on the Leinster side this is a big chance for Michael Milne, Scott Penny and Harry Byrne.

For Munster it's Loughman (and maybe Kendellen / Hodnett off the bench).

Connacht - Caolin Blade, Cian Prendergast and Niall Murray will all be keen to keep the hand up.

Ulster - all of Lowry, Baloucoune, Hume, Treadwell, Timoney are currently on the outside and need big performances. Stockdale will be looking to build on his good form too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I dont know since the 6 nations casey has started only 1 game for Munster. Was whipped off just after half time and has only had 5 minute cameos since. His size is a worry against these bigger packs.

While doak is unlikely to get picked since he has dropped back behind cooney recently he did start 2 of the emerging ireland games..

mcgraths familiarity with the leinster players could have him included in the training squad.

saying all that Blade is probably most likely to be involved given he was around the 6 nations squad.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think Blade is definitely likeliest. Farrell has shown no real inclination that he rates McGrath; I'd be shocked to see him in the squad (absent a glut of injuries).

Doak seems like the heir to the Conor Murray role in time; similar player stylistically. This RWC might come a bit early for him, but he's still very young.

On Casey: Farrell has shown time and time again he isn't overly concerned with the selections of provincial coaches. Casey has delivered for him multiple times, I'd be very very surprised to see him miss out at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

From what I can gather Casey was first choice for Munster up to the end of the Euro group stages, he started 3/4 include the away game to Toulouse in Jan, but he has only started 2 games since then (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That's two starts since January 22nd. One was against Italy where he was fine and the other against the Sharks which seems to have firmly lost him his place in the team. He got a grand total of 16 mins gametime in the two league games in SA. I'm sure he's more likely to stay in the squad than not but it's not ideal for him running up to the RWC. I'm sure earlier in the season he'd have targeted breaking into the Ireland 23 but that looks fairly impossible this side of the RWC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Murray’s form is obviously the main reason in Casey no longer being first choice but I think part of the reason is also around Crowley overtaking Carbery.

Murr and Crowley have looked like a good, complementary combination the last number of games.

mcgraths familiarity with the leinster players could have him included in the training squad.

I don’t think McGrath has ever made a squad under Farrell? It’d be extremely unlikely to see him make the RWC squad at this late point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ulster lads didn't help themselves last nite. There's nobody bar Henderson, Stu and Stewart who are likely to get a look in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Balacoune looked very good going forward. Ulster don't use their wings the same way that Ireland and Leinster do, to his detriment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Baloucoune was good, but I think it will be hard for him to push his way in.

I reckon at best 4 Ulster players make the squad

O'Toole

Herring/Stewart

Henderson

Maybe McCloskey but I think his lack of versatility will be his undoing.

I think Stu will get in, and deservedly for me. He’s had his best season in a green shirt.

Aki obviously came straight back in ahead of him, but I’m not sure anyone else has done enough to oust him.

I think the versatility JOB brings will make up for it, and even then Farrell has been very willing to put a centre in the 23 shirt.

Fair to say Hume probably the biggest disappointment in the last 12 months? Him over Stu would’ve brought a better balance to the centre split.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can see an injury giving Stockdale one last shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,412 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Blade certainly put himself in the shop window with his performance against Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think Prendergast did his chances of that last back row spot no harm too. Viable option at lock, 6 and 8 now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Coombes, Conan, Deegan, Doris, Prendergast all playing well this weekend. Great to have that depth at 8.

Strongly think Jean Kleyn should get a look in during the warm-up games.

He’s unlikely to break into the squad from here but the season he’s having, he’s more than worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I thought he was unlucky not to have made a squad already. I think at this stage it might mean an injury somewhere for him to get in.

No. Really let themselves down.

Guys like James Hume, Kieran Treadwell, Michael Lowry, Nick Timoney and even Rob Baloucoune (before Friday night) are all playing much more poorly than they were 12 months ago. They aren’t improving.

If it was one player or so it’s on the player, when it’s a third of the team, it’s on the coach.

Thought Cian Prendergast & Niall Murray were very good for Connacht. Caolin Blade was poor for me. Connacht halfbacks were utterly lacking composure.

• Advertisement

He’s had a great year.

There’s no way Kieran Treadwell is a better rugby player than Ross Molony or Jean Kleyn. He’s been utterly awful this season for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon yesterday put the skids on Milne being a bolter.

Nah, not necessarily. He had a poor enough day in the scrums but was good in the loose. That’s pretty much the same as the player’s he’s competing within for that third LHP slot yesterday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

Reckon they will look at him in camp. Great athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think Frawley prendergast and Job will be nailed on for the RWC squads if fit. All looks in form and showing versatility, whilst also looking to be highly rated by the coaching staff.

Crowley and Casey could come under pressure from Harry Byrne and Blade, but would think the coaches will stick with the Munster pair.

Only really question marks I think there are 3rd choice loose head and the if the 33rd spot is given to another lock (McCarthy) or a back (McCloskey or Larmour)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Agreed, he has been excellent this season. Himself and Molony must be giving the coaching team headaches at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Sadie gave him a rough time in the scrum. But he probably had about 30kgs on him. Against the Stormers a few weeks ago he held his own against Malherbe. In the loose he's the 2nd best LH in Ireland, behind Porter. I still think there's a fair chance he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Been reading up on the Joe Hawkins situation in Wales, he'd gotten up to playing regular international rugby as an academy player, and apparently was going to be kept on an academy contract next season as well given the financial meltdown in Wales, so he left and is now ineligible for Wales.

Just had me thinking, has an academy player ever played for Ireland? James Ryan? Luke Fitz or Rob Kearney maybe? Did they even go into the academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Luke skipped the academy right? Went right to the senior team, perhaps to his detriment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ruddock was brought from the 20s World Cup mid competition straight to Ireland camp if I remember right

Advertisement