Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media silence over Niall Collins story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Like Niall 'O'Connor' Collins they are, or should be, answerable to the law.

When we see The Ditch forced to pay out for libel or defamation we can judge them on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You are assuming that we need a Court to tell us what our opinion is, and whether we are right. That is not the way it works. I can pass my own judgement on both the Ditch and Collins, a Judge/jury only tells me if a law has been broken. In a civil case, it also depends on whether the complainant is motivated to take a case against the publication. I hope you aren’t saying that just because no complaint is made, the a publisher must be right, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

The Ditch are doing investigative journalism that's holding public servants to account. Unless you are related to those individuals then The Ditch and are saving YOU money and are directly improving standards in our public bodies. Simples :)

Unless they are being used to settle scores and publishing articles which are factually questionable.

But apart from that, the rest of what you posted is right.

I'm not assuming you need a court to tell you what your opinion should be.

But The Ditch aren't answerable to you and nor should they be.

• Advertisement

Have I given any indication I think the Ditch answerable to me, where?

I responded to the question of who The Ditch were answerable to.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Every single media company has an agenda and settling scores is how the world turns. Troy/Walshe/Hyde fought like rats to stay but were forced to step down - so the facts there were obviously good enough. We are better off for knowing what they all thought Irish public servants are entitled to get away with. Collins case is still in-progress so let's see there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think Cosgrave has anything to do with Russia, he is just reflexively anti anything the current government does and that aligns him with them frequently.

Collins case is still in-progress so let's see there.

No it isn't. The story has died a death cause it was blown up nonsense.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the other media companies are better at hiding their agenda though.

The “facts” in the Ditch article about Collins are not that compelling, and have been shown to either be weak or poorly researched so I think it’s fair to say on the facts presented so far, it is very much a swing and miss.

I don’t know about you, but I hope the media here doesn’t start to go down the road of the US where they are dedicated to attacking politicians on each side, even if what they publish is not factual or accurate. If that is your brand of media, then the Ditch is perfect.

If they keep having misses, they become an irrelevance. There is an article today on it titled about an ex FG TD, the guy was last a TD in 2002, hadn’t been a councillor for 9 years, so why they are trying to give it a political slant is not clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I suspect his affiliations will be the rock he perishes on though, one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

There's no way he invited Grayzone to the web summit as a dig to FG. He liked what they had to say plain and simple as it aligns with his conspiracy theory tendancies. It was only after Mrs Zelensky said she wouldn't attend if they were that he canceled his personal invitations to them. Sure the sneaky little fvck hosted them at a private dinner 24 hours after she had left the conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Politicians are public representatives not public servants. And the "ditch" needs to be held accountable to basic journalistic standards. As a plaything of the unhinged Cosgrave it has zero credibility.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That'll never happen of course, as soon as it's onto a loser in the High Court it'll vaporize and Cosgrave will set up another vehicle for his sad ego.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

That's fair.

But I think it could also be just getting involved in that sphere as it were. Russia relies on this self-reinforcing propaganda that no longer comes directly from them. Basically, I think he's a useful idiot as opposed to a stooge.

Was in the pub today with my father-in-law and two of his in-laws. West Cork sorts. All pure dyed-in-the-wool FF men. The first time they've ever heard of Paddy Cosgrave is when Mick Clifford wrote a piece about him today in the Examiner.

The synopsis? Clifford is a blue from Kerry, and the other lad has notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just had a read of that, was a good piece. Major take away is Paddy, the bastion of free speech and fighter for the oppressed, is holding his next event in Qatar. The mans beyond hypocrisy with his words vs actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That's what the establishment will always do. Their supporters are completely brainwashed and crave the status quo. This story is in all the national papers and yet the messenger is being attacked. I am damn sure FFG will look to destroy the Ditch using foul means in the near future. Nobody challenges the establishment. Martin crossed the line already while ignoring the public service the Ditch did in exposing corruption amongst FF politicians yet again.

Let's see when Collins starts the libel case i.e. never.

But but but but Russia!! Pathetic.

Robert Troy and Damien English were innocent too. I get it. And the ABP guy.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

What a great story. You're saying that your relations don't know FF are corrupt? Finger on the pulse there...😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭mattser

Niall who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

i think this is a pretty weak attack on Cosgrave. The World Cup was just on there. Still better than the Russian conspiracy theory being pushed by Micheal Martin though. These desperate attacks say it all I think. The Ditch have exposed so much corruption, leading to politicians and others to be sacked, this is causing the government to panic as they don’t know who will be exposed next.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Micheál Martin correctly pointed out that it was co-founded by a crank conspiracy theorist who is now working for Russia Today. How is this a conspiracy theory?

The accusations about Niall Collins/Ditch article are not in all the papers, Niall Collin’s statement regarding it, and what MM said about it are though. Gavin Reilly explained last weekend why the national papers didn’t run the story and didn’t refer to the Ditches allegations, the allegations are weak as a runny shiite and there would be a risk of legal action.

The Ditch’s article is crap, and they have another turd on their site today about an “ex FG TD” and the sale of a nursing home. The home was sold in 2022, the guy hasn’t been a TD since 2002. If that is your type of journalism, you are their target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭mattser

But, but, but...............wait till the next election 😄

There is so much squeeling and gnashing of teeth on the thread.

The Ditch must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Some of the reaction to The Ditch on boards reminds me of the reaction here when staff in the Coombe hospital distributed Covid vaccines to their families, "would you prefer if they went in the bin" was the cry then.

I suspect what is happening here is that many people have benefitted from the Irish culture of cute hoorism in some form and are now lashing out.

To those crying over this, LOL, get used to it, there will be more to come. There are hundreds of thousands of current and retired public and civil servants in this country, many of whom will have had concerns about various practices and who know where the skeletons are buried but were never brave enough to become whistleblowers. Some will now be tipping off The Ditch. The more publicity The Ditch gets, the more tip offs there will be. Deflection tactics, references to Russia or calling Paddy Cosgrave a bollox won't stop this.

Probably true, but let’s hope it’s more weighty than the Niall Collins story, if they keep publishing half assed stories which are found to be nothing more than very minor cases of poor judgement, or are seen as the mouthpiece for a disaffected techbro with a gripe against Irish politicians who wouldn’t bow to his ego, people other than simpletons will start to question the site’s relevance.

Exposing real corruption is good, but this crap just immunises people to the important stuff because it makes the site look vindictive and untrustworthy rather than for the public’s benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Politicians and others have been fired due to corruption uncovered by the Ditch, that proves their relevance is beyond question.

Advertisement