Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuck and Cam's Big Bash - your Coronation Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Camilla looks kinda bewildered/terrified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I like Camilla but seeing her being crowned Queen. Anyone watching this has to recognise this for the farce it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Kinda mad that it’s happening in this day and age!!

great show though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Sqidgygate, tampons and all of that - sorry but once heard cannot be unheard 😀

Kate for me, stoke that show- she was stunning looking and completely regal- was hoping Charles would turn down the crown and hand it over to herself and William 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

You'd wonder that something like this could actually hasten the departure of the monarchy. As you say, most people alive have not seen this before, or dont remember the last one at least.

And with a lot of the world seeing this now, certainly most Brits, there must be a huge majority also thinking "Christ this actually is a bit ridiculous isn't it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Only realised this was on today.

Irish click bait media all over it like fleas on a wet dog.

I suppose it's something for them to report about before the Eurovision and the Rose of Tralee.

😁

Penny Mordaunt looks great there. Could ya imagine Charlie drops something now. Meme for the rest of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’d say nobody wanted to drop anything or **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't get you. What's ridiculous about it. It's a ceremony. Are are ceremonies ridiculous, like weddings?

• Advertisement

• The gold jacket on Charless (as Joe Duffy calls him) looked like something out of Penneys 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I think the fact that some people still give these things respect or reverence in modern society in the year 2023, shows we still have a very long way to go as a species.

In reality we've only very recently emerged from the dark ages as a creature. These events bring that truth home in a very stark way. Watching a grown man walking around with a jewel encrusted crown on his head and some stupid septer/wand in his hand... and everyone watching on like it's completely normal and somehow admirable or respectable behaviour... sigh.

If your kids behaved like this, you'd laugh at them for being so silly and odd. But these are grown adults giving importance to such nonsensical rubbish.

Sometimes we fool ourselves into thinking we've come a long way and we're very advanced and sophisticated. We're really not... we're just a bunch of big brained monkey savages that believe in superstitions and pointless ceremonial BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Charles didn’t even smile

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bloody peasants, into the back of the van with all of ye.

I reckon he just wants it to be over without any fupp ups happening. Some relief for him when it's finished I'd say, he'll smile then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I think the whole thing was very flat.I guess the rain didn’t help but there didn’t seem to be much cheering .

• The kids in the carriage are probably asking when they get their lunch and what they’ll be getting. They must be bored out of their minds 😂

• What if Charles, Camilla or indeed any of them short taken? I’d say there’s a few medications been taken and some waterproofing in the appropriate area

Watching Charles walk out in his crown and long robe there really makes you appreciate how King Harley Race nailed the same look in WWF in the late 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Coincidentally, the last time a Charles was crowned King:

Samuel Pepys, a senior civil servant and nephew of a former chief justice of Ireland, may not have been as overawed as others – as he recorded in his diary, having been in the abbey soon after four in the morning and the ceremony only beginning at eleven, he had ‘so great a lust to pisse’ that he had to leave before the formalities were completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,637 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In the script I saw, Harry was flying one of the Apache helicopters in the flypast, and strafes the balcony, thereby putting himself next in line for the throne *

* Or maybe that was a Game of Thrones episode with a dragon instead of a helicopter

The flypast was meant to be more extensive, but because of the weather was cut down to helicopters and Red Arrows, no vintage aircraft this time.

I thought the BBC were a bit premature as well saying something like we'll never see a day like this again... well Charles isn't a young man, so I think there's a fair chance most people will see another Coronation, assuming the monarchy lasts. Elizabeth II was 25, Charles III is 74. In Henry VIII's days I'd probably be guilty of treason for these comments!

Before him, the oldest monarch at the age of ascension was King William IV, who took the throne in 1830 at the age of 64. Aside from that the other oldest monarchs to ascend to the throne were King Edward VII (59 years old, in 1901); King George IV (57, in 1820); and King George I (54, in 1714).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Say Charles is blessed with health and the longevity of his parents and lives to be still capable of doing all his duties up to age 90, that will be 16 years. That time can fly 😱. I’d say if he finds himself getting too rickety he might hand over the reigns.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

To the stake with you heretic 😀

I believe Harry jumped into a car and to the airport to get a flight back to USA immediately after the service- but now that you mention it, that would have been a nice way to honour his father- opportunity missed there.

Concert starting now on BBC1

Looking pretty cool - although it’s not 1985 liveAid, hopefully Lionel Richie will do his thing like he did in Kildare a few years ago

Olly Murs on now for those who like that sort of thing

Coronation choir on now- worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I saw a bit of this yesterday, what a load of nonsense and completely out of touch.

Charles looked bored, Camilla looked like she was bemused to find herself there and Catherine had her usual "trying to suppress a snigger" face.

Ridiculous customs that might have worked in medieval times, or after a world war with a glamorous young queen, but it looked completely out of place. The whole thing was flat and emotionless to watch.

Now, time for the bets - will William and Catherine ever get to play dress up and wear the crowns?

Incredible version of West Side Story- I’m sure Meaghan would have appreciated that version- had she bothered to attend this weekend along with her sidekick Harry

BBC1TV - live now till 10pm

• Advertisement

Steve Winwood and a lot of folk on now- Higher Love

Advertisement