Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

aiken shows are exclusively Diageo products.

budweiser no longer distributed by Diageo here for a few years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Got a bus up from Sligo, it was late and then got delayed in Carrick on Shannon for half an hour, didn't start queuing till half five, got in around ten to six, got a wristband, as alluded to above wasn't sure if it was for the pit or they were giving them to everyone, thought all the pit passes would have been gone at that stage.

The pit didn't seem full at all, saw David McCullagh from RTE having the time of his life near me.

Saw some nice t-shirts, was going to get one, but 50 euro was taking the piss, as if the 140 odd to get in wasn't enough gouging, spring rolls were nice though.

Perfect weather, no rain and warm, not that suffocating heat either.

Was a great gig, the whole band were just fantastic, The Promised Land, Johnny 99, Land of Hope and Dreams and Because the Night were the highlights, loved Nightshift too and the acoustic version of Last Man Standing was great too, and he'd some nice words about his ex bandmate.

The amount of inane yapping from clowns around me nearly drove me insane at times, still great gig, hope he might be back in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

……

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭LowOdour

The last three paragraphs in a nutshell. It was very good gig, Nightshift was a particular highlight as it would not have been on my radar too much. From that in to Mary's Place was brilliant.

Audio was a bit over the place at times though.

It was the 2nd worst gig I've been at for people yapping. Thought the pit might have been much better but sounds it wasn't. Moved to the very back of the pitch for last hour, so a little better.

C*nts can do whatever they want at gigs, but should not to the detriment of my enjoyment.

Leaving the venue was a little bit of a shitshow as well at one exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 checkcheck1000

Did anyone head up early and get a pit wristband? If so was Simmonscourt the place to loiter around? Planning on getting up to Dublin around 10am? Hoping for a wristband and being told to come back once we get it…was this anyone’s experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No, pit bands are given after your ticket is scanned.

Right ok, so what time did people start queueing for the pit bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

People who turned up at 6pm got pit passes

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

not Turned up…..through security. We arrived 530, through security 6.02 no pit passes left

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement

Super helpful!! Did anyone arrive early to queue and get sent away or were people allowed to sit/stand and wait? We want to arrive early and possibly have a bit of comfort (sit on the ground in our spot) to queue….is that an option? The ‘absolutely no queueing’ from the RDS is telling me no???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

What route did you go in to get the pass? Yellow, blue or red?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Concert was class, venue lass so I thought.

Getting everyone in was OK, exits and stuff at the end was very shoddy. You expect to be gouged for food and drink, that's par for the course, but they struggled throughout with wifi for cashless payments and most had no means to take cash alternatives. Then at the end, all toilets closed well before the end of the concert, and only one exit, meaning everywhere I looked after the concert there were cilchies like me looking to get from the back of the old stand back to the somonscourt side that we entered by, and lads pisi5ing up against cars and all sorts because the Jax had been closed for an hour at that stage. Seemed like Aiken had shaken us down for all they were gonna get at that point and ye can all fvck off with your full bladders now you're not our responsibility. We were seated in the Anglesea, access not mighty if you're dodgy on the pins, but great atmosphere there, not much chatter really I noticed

Buy that's a small quibble, show itself was brilliant, I'm a fan and driving home I had Spotify on, and we counted up surely 20 more brilliant tracks that would I'd expect to potentially be on the set that they simply hadn't time for, that I've seen them do lots of times (Rosalita, Jungleland, Sandy, many more), that's not a critism of the gig at all, just an illustration of the size of his back catalog.

Anyone going tomorrow or Tuesday, enjoy the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimosterberg

Loved the show. My second time seeing Bruce but I'm far more familiar with his stuff now.

Thunder road and Kitty's back were my highlights. The weather definitely helped.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I was in at 5.50, anglsea road entrance and no passes at that point, possibly were still handing them out at simmonscourt road side at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭This is it

Really enjoyed the gig. We were a few rows back from the pit barrier for the first half or so, amazing sound and great energy on stage. Dipped out to the toilets and had to go around the back of the pitch which was fine but the sound wasn't great from there and couldn't hear when he was talking. Leaving was a bit of a mess. Overall really enjoyed it and would definitely go again, would just prefer it wasn't in the RDS. Croke Park was a much better setup IMO.

Amazing at 73 that he can still put on a show like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Can anyone tell me why the sound is so bad in the RDS!?! It really isn't worth going to, it made the E Street sound diabolical last night! A lovely sunny calm day and yet sound weaving in and out and sounding like a Power city JVC radio from the 90's! The people around me seemed noticibly bored for the most part and it was a direct result of the poor sound!

I have noticed this for years in the RDS. Bruce obviously has his own front of house people who know the songs inside out and should be well aquinted with the RDS. The mix was all over the shop last night too, Bruce was buried down in the mix, the low end, Gary and Max were over everything!

How a pretty much identical show can be delivered beautifully in Barcelona and have an entire stadium rocking, and we get this piece of crap is beyond me! Bruce is phenomenal and gave it his all, I thought his voice was a bit rough for the first few songs, but this may have been the JVC effect! He did seem taken aback to not be getting much audience engagement at times..... Again, due to the tinny crap sound. I hate to say it, but very very dissapointing for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Kilteragh

Were you in the Anglesea stand far from the stage by any chance (back left facing the stage)? I was there for a gig before and the sound was awful. Managed to get onto to the pitch later on and the sound was much better.

I was on the pitch, relatively close to the stage, not too awful far back from the pit, off to the stage left slightly. The sound there should have been good you'd have thought. I've had this experience with Bruce and the RDS for years. I dunno if there is a sound limiter due to snarky neighbours or what not. The sound was really poor last night. Very frustrating when you know how good the band and songs are and that they are most likely playing a blinder! Yet what comes out to us is a mixed up mess! I'd love to know what the first timers around me were thinking.... I can't imagine they'd be too impressed beyond the theatrics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭krazymuthafuka

Anyone know what alcohol options where available there yesterday? Is it just beer and wine?

Gin too, it was discussed a little back. 8e bottles of Carlsberg, over 10e for a can of gin. I believe there was rockshore and something resembling Guinness at the bars too.

There are people selling Carlsberg, wine and gin on the pitch. Very long and slow queues though, as the wifi connections were weak. They didn't accept cash and we're struggling all day to process card payments.

Zero security checks on the way in, my advice would be to bring your own if your that way inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭This is it

Myself and the other half went in the Blue entrance and everyone was searched that I could see. They even questioned her hand sanitizer when looking through her bag. I wouldn't rely on bringing your own.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Wasn't much of a security check on the yellow route, a man got me spread out my arms and that was it, went in the same way for Foo Fighters a few years ago and had to put the stuff in my pockets in little bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Sound seemed ok. Not great, but I don't remember thinking at any stage that it was woeful. It was the typical sound (and overall atmosphere) you get at the outdoor venues like Marley Park, Phoenic Park, Fairview Park etc. - where the music becomes somewhat secondary in importance to the actual event itself:- people buzzing around shouting, big queues everywhere etc. But that's ok too. As long as it doesn't affect me. I hung around the back for the first half, couple of drinks. I knew what to expect - average sound, people chatting etc. But I casually enjoyed it. Then for the second half, moved up closer to the front, and that's when the proper experience kicked in for me - from Backstreets onwards. It was some hour and a half. Sound was fine at that point. And crowd around me were in flying form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Was it the same sound system from Barcelona, I presume so but Aiken is a cheapskate and will use the cheapest speakers and staging he can.

I presume its the same sound engineer for the whole tour, so its unlikely to be him.

It might be something to do with the design of the RDS too, anytime Ive been at a concert there the sound has been poor.

Sound should be better the next 2 nights but its ridiculous in this day and age, paying such big money for crap sound, its not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I brought some drink in. No problems. Got 2 ice cold cans of Heineken in and 2 little bottles of red wine. I presumed there would be some searching done, so I didn't want to push it but there was no body pat-down at the yellow entrance. If I had know that, I would have just smuggled in a 6-pack of Heineken and wouldn't have to rely on rotten Rockshore. Understandably, the bar queues subsided half hour into the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What was the merch like last night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

At the red gate, I got a good pat down and herself had her bag checked, I heard the security asking a lady beside to dump a water bottle as well. We were pretty early though, no big queues at the time.

Merch, I wasn't in the market for a 50 euro T shirt oflr 90 euro fleece to be honest, so I don't know really, looked common or garden but overpriced care to me, think 40 E for a standard orange beanie hat and 35 for a truckers hat if they are your thing.

The locals had 10 euro T shirts after the gig of that's your thing.

Advertisement