Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laura Trevelyan seeks atonement for the Famine/Slavery

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Did you count them? Or do you believe the people who heard from someone who heard from someone who thought they heard from someone that it was 1 million?

Only a few decades after the troubles in N.I., many young people in Ireland think the British army caused most of the deaths there: yet Republicans killed 60% of the total, the loyalists 30% and the security forces less than 10%. And 99.9% of the destruction to property was caused by Republicans.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been a lot of anti-British brainwashing over the generations about the famine and it is amazing the amount of people who believe it. Fact is, in 1847, at the height of the Famine, Ireland exported 39,000 tonnes of wheat, and 98,000 tonnes of oats , and imported 199,000 tonnes of wheat, 12,000 tonnes of oats and 682,000 tonnes of maize. Net imports of 756,000 tonnes, a change of 1,140,000 tonnes.

There was anti potato brain washing for most of my life , the mismanagement of our food by our “British” government and our own snakes only became common knowledge relatively recently

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

This Trevelyan woman seems like a narcissist. Im sure she thinks she’s doing good but to me it looks like pure attention-seeking. After slavery and the Famine, are there any other historical catastrophes she’s planning on taking responsibility for? The Black Death? Maybe the Sack of Rome by the Vandals?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

Can't remember where I read the story* now but what struck me was the claimed ignorance (used in it's literal sense in that she didn't know) her family's history. Methinks, rather odd really. But, as she's now 'become a full-time slavery reparations campaigner' - there's no such thing as bad publicity, is there?

Cynic slopes off (Can I say that these days?)

* BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-65440287

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You completely skipped the most important part, penal laws against Catholics, they were condemned to destitution systematically long before the famine.

Well my ancestors are prods and arrived in the 17century and had land and I’m Irish and won’t be apologising to anyone 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

1841 census proved useful in ascertaining numbers who died and those who emigrated. Food exports increased during famine years largely to fuel the British industrial revolution, incidentally the British working class were large consumers of potatoes also due to low cost. British agriculture had suffered as the focus on industry increased and a reliable food source was necessary to keep the cogs going. The large presence of British army regiments to export the food essentially at gunpoint illustrates this. Of the largest landowners only one was Irish - O Neill. Church of Ireland bishops owned almost 700,000 alone, interestingly Trinity was one of the largest landowners. The majority were of British peerage. The implication that because exports increased, the farmer on the conacre benefitted is ridiculous.

Largest landowners c._of__i._bishops_irish_acreage.docx (live.com) data_on_57_largest.pdf (irishholocaust.org)

LANDLORDS - THE IRISH HOLOCAUST

So what if 3% of the land in Ireland was owned by the church of Ireland during the famine? Protestants were 10% of the population then. Hard to believe how anyone could take that American (who claimed the FBI framed him for some murders) who is your source Chris Fogarty, seriously. He wrote "The C.of I. churches remain vacant on the hilltops of towns and villages across Ireland since the repatriation to England of the local C. of I. landlord and his support group. Also vacant since then are the Methodist and Presbyterian churches once attended mostly by the local landlord’s support staff who repatriated with him." If he visited Ireland he would find there were and are poor protestants then and now, as well as those not so poor. After 9/11, Americans are less likely to support terrorists. " Quote:  "among the eighty or so lawyers and law firms we contacted nationally, all initially avid for it, none was willing to accept the case." https://www.thepensivequill.com/2019/03/the-accidental-spy.html Sorry, I will not take history lessons from such a person as Fogarty, who knows little about modern Ireland, never mind Ireland during famine times, even though he wrote a "book" on it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been a lot of anti-British brainwashing over the generations about the famine and it is amazing the amount of people who believe it. Fact is, in 1847, at the height of the Famine, Ireland exported 39,000 tonnes of wheat, and 98,000 tonnes of oats , and imported 199,000 tonnes of wheat, 12,000 tonnes of oats and 682,000 tonnes of maize. Net imports of 756,000 tonnes.

Post edited by Francis McM on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I think my ancestors may have been oppressed by the Bronze Age Sea People.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not so long ago, (four years ago) , trade figures show we imported 72,000 tonnes of spuds last year, mainly from Britain. At the same time we exported just 3,000 tonnes last year, worth a measly €1.7 million, and mainly to Britain and Northern Ireland. Why does Ireland import 44,000 tonnes of British potatoes each year?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/why-does-ireland-import-44-000-tonnes-of-british-potatoes-each-year-1.3721341

And in the past decade there were no makey upey soldiers forcing us to import so much, same as there was back in 1847.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been a lot of anti-British brainwashing over the generations about the famine and it is amazing the amount of people who believe it. Fact is, in 1847, at the height of the Famine, Ireland exported 39,000 tonnes of wheat, and 98,000 tonnes of oats , and imported 199,000 tonnes of wheat, 12,000 tonnes of oats and 682,000 tonnes of maize. Net imports of 756,000 tonnes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

Are you for real? How about reading a history book - there's a lot to choose from - or even just a Wikipedia article? YouTube can be good sometimes as well.

Wiki can be edited by anyone. Some republicans have a vested interest in their propaganda.

Some historians leave a lot to be desired. For example, take the American ( he calls himself Irish-American) Chris Fogarty. He wrote "The C.of I. churches remain vacant on the hilltops of towns and villages across Ireland since the repatriation to England of the local C. of I. landlord and his support group. Also vacant since then are the Methodist and Presbyterian churches once attended mostly by the local landlord’s support staff who repatriated with him."  If you were an American reading that you would get the wrong impression. If he visited Ireland he would find there were and are poor protestants then and now, as well as those not so poor.

What the same author on the famine Chris Fogarty does not mention is that he was accused by the FBI of murder, and who do you think was linked to attempting to send arms to the provos etc?  

I recommend you read a history book written from a non-biased point of view, or better still go to primary sources when looking for your information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been a lot of anti-British brainwashing over the generations about the famine and it is amazing the amount of people who believe it. Fact is, in 1847, at the height of the Famine, Ireland exported 39,000 tonnes of wheat, and 98,000 tonnes of oats , and imported 199,000 tonnes of wheat, 12,000 tonnes of oats and 682,000 tonnes of maize. Net imports of 756,000 tonnes.

I have never even heard of Chris Fogarty - he doesn't sound very "main-stream". How did you manage to hear of him and why are you referencing him now when he wouldn't be considered a leading authority on the subject of the Irish famine of the 1840s.

Also why are you so presumptuous as to the nature and type of history books I have read? I'll decide for myself on my choice of reading and whether it follows a biased slant or not, thank you.

Liath Luchra quoted him (Chris Fogarty) , and gave a link to his book / "work", on post no 40 of this very thread. You obviously have not read this thread nor know very much about the famine or the famine propaganda industry. Did not bother reading the rest of your post when you have not even bothered reading the thread / someone else's post 7 or 8 posts ago. Have a good evening.

And you still haven't explained why one million people starved to death if there happened to be so much food knocking around. You have a good night too...

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

One of the guests on BBC today on the Coronation was praising Queen Victoria for raising charity funds for the Irish famine.

• Advertisement

Probably closer to 100,000. Plenty of historical revisionism and brain-washing. Some authors of books on the famine like Chris Fogarty cannot even get the most basic of facts about modern day Ireland right, never mind what happened 180 years ago.

The Catholic church had a huge amount property, money, art, etc in Europe and did not give anything, instead it collected from the poor to build more churches and cathedrals - should it not have given something to famine relief if it was that bad?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indeed, and as someone else said, " Nobody did as much as Lionel Rothschild of the banking family. Immediately news of the famine became apparent he set up a charity, the British Relief Association, that raised over £500,000, equivalent to over 50 million pounds today. At times they were feeding 200,000 children daily. No idea why this isn’t more widely known. The British government for its part fed 3 million daily with soup kitchens, for a while anyway."

Advertisement