Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

NZ sides pretty dominant at present. Brumbies are only Aussie team challenging them at this stage. Wonder will this be reflected again in Rugby Championship?

Chiefs scored a couple of absolute crackers this morning while routing the Highlanders, but the George Dyer try is probably pick of the bunch. They are electric at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Chiefs have been excellent and they are always a joy to watch.

Crusaders seem to have sorted out their problems and are a very dangerous team now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Fijian Drua beat them hurricanes, for the craic.

They really have impressed this season so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

only 1 loss at home. If they can start being consistent, they'd be a real threat

• Advertisement

It's going to help them a lot in International rugby as well. Could be a few surprise results in the world Cup.

yep, wales v Fiji in their pool opener is going to be very, very tasty. Both teams fresh so there can be no complaints afterwards. The addition of Glen Jackson in the coaching squad has been a huge positive to them. Hopefully the transition from Cotter to raiwalui at test level is seemless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Some interesting discussion around Super Rugby

Anyone here based in NZ? Whats the feeling down there with it?

I'm reading a lot of people saying its boring /dying and so on. From what I'm seeing (all be it very casually) its still pretty entertaining. Especially with the Drua cuasing uspets and the Crusaders not dominating absolutely everything.

nic white off to the western force from next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Reds beat the unbeaten Chiefs in the 'Naki!! Massive upset. Reds had lost their previous 20 plus games in NZ (I think).

• Advertisement

Highlanders-Reds was a very enjoyable game of rugby.

Jake Upfield's try for the Reds is as good a try as you'll see anywhere.

Rebels doing us a favor as well in the second game. That 8th spot is anyone's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

I said it before the no.13 for the Fijian Drua is a special talent in his first season I senior rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

another win under ther belt , lucky , given last kick - they need to win final game to qualify I think.

Blues Highlanders was a decent game this morning.

Was interested to get another good look at Anton Segner - the openside for Blues. He's 21 years old, but was born and grew up in Germany, only moving to NZ as a 15 year old when he got a scholarship to Nelson College (same school James Lowe, Jared Payne, David Havili and a few other All Blacks attended).

Captained his school to win a UC Championship in 2019 (scoring 2 tries and getting MotM in the final), got into the Crusaders academy, played NZ Schools and signed to play Mitre 10 Cup with Tasman as a 19 year old. Won a Mitre Cup, had a good stint in NPC and then signed for the Blues. He's since played 15 times for them over the past couple of seasons, and been selected for the NZ U20s.

Very interesting back story, and surely overtakes Seb Fromm (ex Clongowes centre) as the most accomplished German rugby player ever!

I watched the Brumbies Vs Rebels. I'd guess it won't be long before we see Corey Toole in a Wallabies shirt.

Cracker of a game here between Hurricanes and Crusaders - was loving the niggle between Codie Taylor and Dane Coles earlier.

Canes living in the Crusaders 22 for the entire second half and have just pushed in front. Ardie continuing to show why he’s probably the most talented rugby player on earth (or forward anyway).

Cam Roigard, the Hurricanes 9, looks very much like a future All Black. He’s looked good all season I think.

Drua make the playoffs. Great to see.

Canes coming back from behind to best the crusaders.

All we need now is the force to beat the chiefs and knock out the reds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Great to see , the Drua are my team from the start , play great rugby, another win

Western Force blown away by the Chiefs. Reds through to knock out for rematch with Chiefs. Can't see them repeating win of a few weeks back.

• Advertisement

So they qf playoffs are set.

1v8 Chiefs v reds

2v7 Crusaders v Drua

3v6 Blues v tahs

4v5 Brumbies v Canes.

The only real possibility of an "upset" here is Brumbies v Canes, but I think Brumbies might just have enough to get over the line in a close game. Their forward mauling is still their biggest weapon.

I would imagine the other three games will be pretty routine home wins.

So......

Rob penny is taking the reigns at crusaders

@Swiwi what do you think about that??

The Chiefs played their seconds in that blowout of the Force so they've got a fresh starting 15 for the Reds game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ardie Savea is a freak. The amount of metres he makes after contact is unbelievable. Still can't understand how he wasn't a finalist for WPOTY last year.

Dane Coles must be so annoying to play against. If there was a World Shithouse XV, he's captain.

I think Roigard could be an All Black bolter this year.

And finally I'm picking the Drua to topple the Crusaders this weekend. Ok I'm hoping they will.

Waratahs well beaten by the Blues. Australian sides (apart from Brumbies) not showing up well in this competition.

Reds made the Chiefs work very hard for the win this morning. Game right in the balance with a few mins to go. Retallick’s step and offload for the Sowakula try was sublime.

Crusaders crushing the Drua so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

Up to the Brumbies now to keep some oz interest in the comp.

Phenomenal run there by Flanders for the Hurricanes, shocking defense from the Brumbies

Incredible finish to the match, Brumbies hold out under massive pressure. Great match, love to see an Aussie team going through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Brilliant game, thought the Brum had blown it!

Advertisement