Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 checkcheck1000

How early is pretty early? Trying to have it so that we can queue and not so early that we get told we’re not allowed to queue yet…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

We were there sometime after 5, gate open and people going in slowly when we arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

Mate of mine went. He's a fan. He said he was disappointed. Oddly enough, not the first time someone has said that to me. I do understand in a way

1. A lot of fans make him out to be this super human like figure, who has written the best music ever and is the best to ever perform. People go with high expectations and automatically are left underwhelmed because of that. Not Bruce's fault obviously

2. It seems its happened more these days. In my opinion, you need to be a real hard-core fan of Bruce to really enjoy his shows, as opposed to just going for the hits.

3. He said the sound was appalling, but that's a universal opinion it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Saw Springsteen once about 30 years ago also in the RDS, probably same time of the year. Just sounded flat, not Springsteen's fault. It was a pokey, strange venue, with poor sound. Seem to remember REM was the same there.

Croke Park would be a bigger, more appropriate venue with better sound, for a stadium gig.

Also, not his fault I'd he wants to play more than the "hits". That's boring for artists, especially for a 3 hour concert that they need to deliver night after night. People can easily get up to date via Spotify curated playlists etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

The main reason I didn't go this time, Croke Park in 2016 was a horrible experience with constant chatter all around me. Fuckers want to chat - save yourselves the cost of the tickets and stay in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I swore I'd never go to a gig in Croker again after the terrible sound quality for Bruce's last gigs there. I was on the pitch and the echo was bouncing all around.

Having said that, I've heard good feedback from those who went to the Stones at Croker.

I've never had poor sound on the pitch at the RDS.

Are the numbers all gone at this point? Is there any point in getting up to the RDS for 9/10am?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The ....whisper ..Coldplay concert was the last thing I saw in Croke park, on the pitch. Sound was brilliant.. brilliant event.

I guess, your milage may vary.

Enjoy the concert folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

The only standing queue that we were told was the Anglesey road one but we approached from that direction, maybe less queues other sides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

I plan on bringing my 2 U16 kids tomorrow night and just saw on the ticket it says 16+ only for standing (completely missed it and didn't think it'd be a problem)... anyone see any young kids standing last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No, saw a tonne of them sitting on their parents shoulders though........

You'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DerryKevin

Yip, seen children well under 10 years old in the pit. Was disgusted as would’ve loved to take my 14 and 11 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RB_Cork

Apologies, I'm a bit of a newbie to all this but was wondering if someone might be able to help. I managed to get tickets on Ticketswap, it looks like the Tickets are TicketFast print at home (no issue), but then I was reading on the RDS site that you can only enter with the Ticketmaster app? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I've seen Bruce enough to know that last night was far, far, far from the peak of his powers. I've seen an awful lotta gigs and performers over the years, Bruce and the E Street Band on their night are among the greatest in my opinion. They have understandably slowed a little over the years, but are more than capable of putting on a phenomenal show. Ie last week in Barcelona. My main gripe last night was the sound. The mix was hideous, the sound was tinny, weaving in and out all night. Bruce was buried down in the mix. At times it Was Gary and Max' snare and kick that was all that could be heard. It completely killed the gig! There were no elements to contend with last night, no wind or rain. Why the front of house sound crew were that poor is unbeknownst to me. The show only caught momentum for the last quarter, and that is because the set was heavy on some of the greatest feel good rock and roll ever written. The crowd got going and engaged and sang along.... And were almost louder than the band. Other than that it was a pretty flat and dull affair throughout.

R. D. S - Really Diabolical Sound!

R. D. S - Really Dissapointing Show!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

Amazing gig last night. He really is like a fine wine. Id's have loved some variety on the setlist - the likes of Candy's room, Kitty's Back, E St Shuffle and Johnny 99 could be swapped with other songs from the earlier albums like Spirit in the night, Blinded by the light, Rosie,Adam Raised a Cain, Racing etc. Could also swap some River singalongs like Out in the street with Sherry Darling, Ties that bind or Hungry Heart. Maybe swap Johnny 99 for Atlantic City. If I could have just three songs added for tomorrow night it would be Jungleland, Roisie and Racing.

I was speaking to a very casual fan who was there for the hits and said no one around them (not in the pit) knew any songs for the first 2 hours. Suppose to fans the likes of No Surrender, Promised Land, Prove it, Out in the street etc are 'the hits' to some extent as they are always played and most in the pit know every word but to casuals who only have the greatest hits album, they are not songs they'd ever hear on the radio. They would be waiting on Streets of Philly, Hungry Heart, Secret Garden, The River, Atlantic City, My Hometown, Brilliant Disguise, Human Touch, I'm On Fire etc - none of which were played. It's mad how to me it seemed like a fairly hit fill show even though he left off so many widely known songs.

Where were you in the RDS?

The Stones sound in Croker was decent, a little on the low side imo. The performance was pretty lackluster, such is the Stones in this day and age.

The Police and U2 on the Joshua Tree tour were two rare exceptions when I heard Croker sounding good. Bruce is 2016 was pretty awful, I had amazing seats for night two and couldn't make a word out... What a painful way to miss Incident on 57th!!!

Some people seem to want different things out of a show, some seem like they wanna be there for a night out... Oh the lights were amazing and Bruce ripped his shirt open.. Best gig ever!.... Pfft

At the end of the day it boils down to the music. That's why I was there, and that's why the band were too.... Last night did not deliver. A beautiful sentiment to dedicate Land of Hope and Dreams to Charlie Bird... That performance was one of the few highlights of the night.

Post edited by RolandGoose on

• Registered Users Posts: 86,580 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Did people think the sound was bad on the pitch or just in the stands?

• Advertisement

My 39th Bruce show and I can only vouch for the sound in the pit - central and 12ish back - no quibbles, really good.

As for the the performance not being as good as previous, I actually think Bruce's performance was up there with his recent best, better than Croke Park which is the most recent barometer for me and most.

Cheers Dr. Nick, if temptation takes hold tomorrow, I'll do my damedest to get a wristband! From past experience at least your surrounded by people who wanna listen to the gig!

Anyone have any advice for the best place to nab a wristband?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

With tomorrow being a non work day is the pit likely to fill earlier or is there likely to be more boozehounds staying in the pubs drinking ?

I was speaking to a very casual fan who was there for the hits and said no one around them (not in the pit) knew any songs for the first 2 hours. Suppose to fans the likes of No Surrender, Promised Land, Prove it, Out in the street etc are 'the hits' to some extent as they are always played and most in the pit know every word but to casuals who only have the greatest hits album, they are not songs they'd ever hear on the radio.

The first 7 songs are very solid but 8-13 apart from Nightshift needs to be dumped, its a real atmosphere killer.

Its a very uneven setlist, the latter half is much better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think it depends where on the pitch, I was a fair bit back, at the set of speakers about halfway down the pitch, those speakers didn't seem to be working, sound was bad, unacceptably bad to be honest.

I've usually been happy enough with sound in the RDS but I said it to my mate as soon as No Surrender started that the sound was terrible, thought it would improve but it really didn't. You need to be closer to the front I think to get decent sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭This is it

Same as this. We were top left for the first half, at the exit marked "6". Sound was grand there, no issues at all. Moved to the back after a toilet/drinks run and it was pretty bad. Knew the songs so knew what was being sung but when he was talking we couldn't hear a bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

This reminds me of the Neil Young controversy, RDS always had a bad reputation for sound

8-13

Kitty's Back

Nightshift

Mary's Place

Johnny 99

The E Street Shuffle

Last Man Standing

I'd only drop Mary's Place. But some people love it.

Kitty is always going to lose the audience but it's part of the story he's telling. Same with ESS.

Drop Last Man Standing??? The whole message of the show right there

Exactly. No iinane chit-chat during songs. We all take photos/short videos but it's minimal up the front and unobtrusive. Also you can ask someone to lower their phone and they generally do without question (I did once last night).

Wristbands are given out after ticket scan, I got one at 4.57p yesterday, I heard they were available up to 6pm. I'd go for 3pm to be safe tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'll always take anything from the second album, so Kitty's Back and The E Street Shuffle get my vote. The only song I've never seen done live from it is New York City Serenade.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement

Really hopeful to get the pit. Does anyone know if numbers are a possibility tmoro? Don’t mind getting up there early but wouldn’t like to be hanging around alllll day if the numbers aren’t a goer…

Advertisement