Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Where do you even start with that shambolic **** show. Beaten up in the pack, I'm not even going to mention anyone with a number higher than 8.

Right from the off the selection was totally wrong. Where was Sheridan? Where was Marcus Rea? When you look at the selection is it any surprise that the breakdown presence was non-existent? Timoney and McCann as flankers just does not work, neither of them are gritty enough.

Why did he keep Herring on for so long despite stinking the place out? Stewart scores tries, we needed scores, bring him on earlier!!

Milasinovich coming on at half time and getting folded in the very first scrum, good grief my eyes rolled so hard. What an absolute waste of a squad space this guy is. A prop who can't scrum and can't carry. Look at the size of him, how is this even possible!?

Carter off the bench to offer absolutely nothing like he's done for most of his Ulster career.

McFarland. Where do you even start. Crap selection. Crap tactics. Crap subs. Yet another defeat in a must-win game. Pack your bags and go somewhere else, Ulster has suffered enough.

Was it no fewer than 7 of our 23 tonight are leaving this year?

We need a clear out top to bottom. Right from Petrie, Cunningham, McFarland down, the mediocrity has permeated this club at all levels and needs rooted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Timoney is not an open side, and Murphy showed him up in his cameo.

As for McCann you can't fault him, one of the only forwards that has improved the last few weeks.

We're back at same situation we've been having for the last decade, our pack and lack of depth is non existant. Combined with a continued reluctance to give younger players experience. Sheridan & McCann prime examples of two players which have appeared at the wrong end of the season.

I have serious concerns with our pack currently and after this seasons squad cull, will next season be any better. Don't even want to think about call ups or injuries for start of the season.

We're lucky other teams our so dung, I guenuinely look at other teams/squads and wonder if they had the resources Ulster have we'd be in serious bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster are in a much better position now than they were in during 2017/2018 when Dan took over (about then anyway, Covid confuses years for me). So for that McFarland deserves genuine credit.

However tonight it was clear one team wanted to win more than the other and that is an absolute stain on Ulster that it was Connacht who wanted it more. Really that is so embarrassing.

To be honest I reckon the Ulster players just thought they had to turn up and win, even Stockdale walking onto the pitch with his kid in his hands and a big smile on his face two minutes before kick off sent the wrong signals in my opinion. I understand it was his 100th cap, but the way it was done was just not right. To be honest as a dad myself I understand why Jacob was giddy with joy but it should just never have been allowed. Stockdale himself played pretty well, but I wonder what the team talk was like if that was allowed. It was just odd.

Connacht just outplayed us across the pitch and deserved to win.

Like any losing team I have a few gripes about the ref, but the reality is that Connacht totally deserved the win.

The last few years have seen improvement on the pitch, we aren't a basket case anymore and the strides Ulster have made will read well on Dan's CV, but all coaches have a shelf life and I think Dan's shelf life has come to an end. Tonight we were devoid of ideas, but I go back to my original point, Connacht wanted it more and that is unforgiveable. Ulster had a huge opportunity and they ballsed it up completely, I really hope they appreciate it how much they have f****d up. That was a career defining balls up for some of them.

If we have anyone beyond a hooker (should be Stewart) and Henderson in the WC squad we will bloody lucky.

This team, squad and majority of coaching team (bar Grant) are done, it's time for a rebuild and it may take two years, so don't expect next year to be any better whoever the coach is.

Finally, some (and a very small minority it has to be said) of Ulster fans tonight were a disgrace tonight. Some absolute clown through a pint onto the pitch at the final whistle which drew a reaction from Aki. Now I didn't like Aki waving "cheerio" to the Memorial Stand, it lacked class, but the I've no idea if something was said as well. I hope to God there wasn't.

Also there was a full on fight in the car park after the match between some fans (Ulster fans I assume) which was like something out off Green Street. It was terrible, really terrible.

All in all, just a really disappointing night to be an Ulster fan, in many ways it was all pretty shameful, on and off the pitch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

There are a couple of Ulster lads who may have played themselves off the plane to France today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think it’s clear from the body language and attitude of Ulster players they’re not playing for McFarland anymore. Bitching at the ref, bitching at each other. There are serous issues within the camp. McFarland has to take responsibility for that but so do the players. There’s been a clear out of players, there should be a clear out of management and not just the onfield management either. Cunningham should be falling on his sword too.

Now I've sobered up, the short version of my drunken rantings in the early hours this morning is that Dan has taken the squad as far as he can. Its clear they aren't united and need fresh voices and a reset is required.

It could be a bleak year or two for Ulster as we rebuild. Hopefully it's short term pain for long term gain.

I thought Dan had Ulster on the right track. It's apparent that he's reached his pinnacle. Ulster were muck. Not just DanMac F's fault. The squad itself is soft as scutter.

Would Hendo and Moore made much of a difference? I doubt it. This team need a boot up the hole. A new coaching team is needed. They've shown us that they're inconsistent and soft under pressure. Next season could be a reset. The likes of Milanosivic and Carter aren't good enough. Passengers is about their level. At least Kitchof and Ewers bring some toughness. Sheridan needs to develop and should be given every opportunity. There's nothing after Burns! No competition and he's really not top quality.

Carty was awful and yet Connachts pack got him over the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I dont see how you can go through most of the ulster problems and not mention burns.

He is undroppable, and more than undroppable he doesnt even get subbed in a lot of games for some insane reason, he is not even average on a good day and its been said in the past that he leads training and is one of the most senior if not the most senior voices in the squad.

If someone like burns is undroppable what does that say to everyone else?

Madigan never got a fair craic of the whip and Bill Johnston the same.

Burns failed miserably on the International stage and never looked like getting back there, the provinces need players that are pushing for international consideration like some of whom were on display last night prendergast, hume, balacoune, blade.

I just dont get how any coach wants to base a team around him.

• Advertisement

Bill Johnston is playing for Richmond and Munster didn't rate him either so it's not as if he was knocking on the door. Madigan was never any good really, some last minute goal kicks aside. He was brought in for squad depth.

Fully agree about Burns though.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Is he good enough? I haven't seen a lot of him. Thought he did very well in SA though, so he might rightly feel aggrieved especially as Doak and Lowry have probably spent just as much time in flyhalf this year.

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McFarland has a real blind spot for Burns.

In terms of his tenure, tbh the previous European knockout game against Leinster was his peak. It’s been downhill since then.

Next season it’s hard to see us finishing second. The squad is weaker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

So many people have left without replacement. Many of whom fall into the decent pro category who are good in the average league game but can't step up for big games.

The question is if they can blood a few people and finish the season well. The start of the season will be a mess and Ulster won't finish in the top 4 of the league but maybe they can come good in the end of the season and do well in the knockouts.

Sheridan can step up, I'm afraid I can't think of anyone else but I don't know the Ulster academy well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Who do Ulster have who is better? Madigan couldn't get past Gopperth at Leinster. He couldnt get past whoever the Bordeaux out half was at the time and he couldn't get past Callum Sheedy at Bristol. He now at 34 can't put any really pressure on Billy Burns. He's just not good enough. Flannery may not have got much of a chance, but he was comfortably behind Carbury, Healy and Crowley at Munster, so it's hard to make an argument that he's the answer. I agree that Burns can't be a long term solution for Ulster if they want silverware, but you can't bash a coach for selecting his best players.

The season is over. There is no way of finishing the season well!

Other than Sheridan, there is Jude Postelwaite who should be able to step up. Other than that you're looking at 2 or 3 good Academy prospects who have yet to play for the senior team, namely Scott Wilson, James McNabney and maybe James McCormick, Reuben Crothers and Lorcan McLaughlin. I don't think there is really anyone else who are in any way close to making the step up.

None of them are 10s though...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I was talking about what I expect for next season.

Start the year taking some losses and blooding some new players and hoping to finish strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Actually think Ulster will do well next season on the basis that they will have a solid preseason done. Wereas other clubs will have players away in the WC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Our pack talent is overrated and our attacking game plan regressed massively this year. Need some coaching changes and we need more talent in the pack.

You can when the player he is picking isnt good enough and hes not trying anyone else

Ulster should approach Frawley or HB. I'd be loathe to losing either. Burns isn't winning any silverware, he's just not a driver of standards and he disappears when the crap is flying.

Depending on the schedule for the start of the season, Ulster need to get the young crop involved. Develop them early and maybe they improve the team.

Try who? The 34 year old who hasn't been good enough to start for every team he's ever played for, or the guy who was 4th choice for Munster last season?

Surely they are worth a go?

Why bother having them in the squad if your never going to use them?

Madigan has had a couple of 'mares for Ulster at 10, his days at Ulster appear to be done, although the rumours about his next move are as I understand it wrong.

Flannery had one game at 10 I can remember and wasn't brilliant, but he definitely should be getting more minutes.

I'd be interested to see more of Doak at 10.

But Burns has been totally flogged and I'm not sure it does him any favours as he is rarely 100% fit, he always seems to be limping about the pitch.

It's not just Burns! There's something other than him. They were bossed around in stages yesterday. Where is the fight?

Surely they are worth a go?

No, not necessarily. Like, I know people have their criticisms of McFarland, but he's a decent coach and clearly not an idiot. So you'd think if Madigan was putting any pressure on Burns in training, he'd have been given a chance. And the fact that Madigan has failed to push past at least 3 average to decent ( at best) fly halves like Gopperth, Sheedy and Burns over the course of his career would back this up.

Burns isnt in the same league as Gopperth and Sheedy. Not getting past the latter two not a reason for being left ride pine.

And im not so certain about your stance on Mcfarlands intelligence because he has done a sizeable number of idiotic things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Just saw on twitter that Jack Boyle the Leinster academy prop is being wooed by Exeter. I think he is of the standard that he could play significant minutes for us next year. We should offer him a senior deal.

Would be a great addition to the depth chart. Worst case scenario, leinster have to pay more.

Advertisement