Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Mikey Carey is back training with the county panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

He will need to get through a lot of work over the next month but he is naturally fit so hopefully he can get up to speed very quickly. Having him at number 5 and blanchfield at 7 will be a big plus for us.

Against Galway Adrian Mullen was largely bypassed at wing forward. I know every game takes on different dimensions but he is probably more effective in the middle. If we could get 5 or 6 points off Eoin Cody most days out it would be a big plus also but the problem exists where we scored 6 goals in 7 matches in the league this year and that will need to change over the next month or 2 if we are to get anywhere near Croke park in July.

Maybe with TJ back and getting a bit more game time that statistic will change.

Last year in the Leinster championship we played 5 matches in the round robin before the final and scored 14 goals. Thats 14 goals in 6 matches.

Last year in the league we played 6 matches up to and including the semi final and scored 11 goals. This year in the league we scored 6 goals in 7 matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Yeah it will be hard to get up to that level for another 4/5 weeks, Leinster final might be his earliest target. Will need his pace for Croke Park as we have a few slow lads around. Hard to score goals with the 2 man full forward line and lack of pace around. Really need Billy Ryan for his pace, but he is desperately one sided for an intercounty hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Carey would.be a great addition if can get his eye in....i wonder would he make a midfielder or.is he better off at 5? Iwonder would blanchfield make a 6 long term..

Overall we have the same issues of trying to move a few of the better lads around but end up robbing Peter to pay Paul..I always wanted lawlor at 6 but we definitely can't afford that at the moment..he is one of the best full backs out there..

The thing that makes Lawlor such an effective full back is his belief in his own ability to get to a ball first and get possession. So many times you see a back trailing his player and standing off him. Sometimes you cant avoid it because the forward may have a yard or 2 on you starting off but Lawlors belief in getting to the ball with or ahead of his man is how all backs should hurl and hopefully he stays at number 3 for a time to come.

Post edited by usualstripes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Kilkenny team to play Antrim on Sunday:

Eoin Murphy,

Mikey Butler, Huw Lawlor, Tommy Walsh

David Blanchfield, Richie Reid, Darragh Corcoran,

Alan Murphy, Adrian Mullen

Tom Phelan, John Donnelly, Billy Ryan

Mossy Keoghan, TJ Reid, Eoin Cody

Another game and another new midfield, Padraig Walsh and Timmy Clifford drop to the bench and Conor Fogarty drops out of the first 26 altogether (not sure if there's an injury or not). Walter Walsh and Richie Hogan back from injury and on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Clifford probably going to play with the u20 next week hopefully drennan will be back

Corcoran has his chance now to impress at wing back. Surprised to see Tom Phelan in wing forward. He must be going well in training. Nothing other than a convincing win will suffice here. And the same from here on in against Dublin and Wexford. I think that full forward line is as good as we have at the minute and id like to see 3 or 4 goals come Sunday. It would certainly give them a bit of a boost. Padraig coming off the bench mid 2nd half will be a bonus also. Walter and Richie Hogan will hopefully be itching to get in on the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

I think it's horses for courses regarding the midfield. We will need options to score long against Antrim so that we can build a lead while things are tight.

Phelan is very athletic - and obviously that's something Lynn wants on the wings at all times (hence Clifford in the last game)

I do see a lot of confidence around about us beating Wexford which I'm generally uncomfortable with. We're about 3/4 players off an All Ireland winning standard, Wexford are at home, they always raise their game against us, they may be fighting to stay in the championship, we lost to them last year and we struggle to open them up for goals at the best of time. A 1 point win will do for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

Just talking to a work colleague there yesterday. He was saying that he's getting the impression around his way there's very little enthusiasm for the Leinster Championship this year. I get the same feeling. He's from the north of the county, I'm from the south, so it's not like we're from the same spot. It does feel a bit muted in general.

I was wondering, would a slight change of format help build the excitement?

Looking at the Joe McDonagh, would giving the two finalists promotion to Leinster this year (say Laois and Offaly for arguments sake), and having two groups of 4 next year (open draw for fairness), with the top of each group to the SF's, 2v3 of the opposite groups in QF's, with the SF losers playing off to go to the AI series, and the two bottom teams in relegation playoff?

You'd still have the 5 games to get to the final as we have now (4 if you win the group or are in the relegation playoff), but we'd have less round robin and 6 more knockout games in total. Home/Away arrangements in place until the Leinster Final going forward. It would still be played off in the same time-frame.

I'd have to say, I'd prefer it.

But if would probably mean abandoning the Joe McDonagh from the Liam McCarthy as well, which would be a tough pill for many.

I dont know if its confidence or what but i do agree that we will have a serious battle in wexford park. It will be like an all ireland for them and we have to be hurling very well to come away with a result. Im not sure if wexford, like us, are hurling particularity well at the minute, but coming away from there with a win would be a big plus. To be fair we shouls have had Galway put away last weekend but didnt have the killer instinct there to do it. Its the goal threat at the minute for me which is stopping us from that. Hopefully that changes fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

We have Antrim first, then Dublin. A poor display against those teams would change opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Leinster championship is a bore. Time for the open draw championship.

Every second league match this year we ended up hammering the opposition. Then at least on paper the Leinster Championship looks the same. So I guess after going through it once it's hard to raise motivation for the same pattern a couple of weeks later. Having two leagues back to back was never going to be a great solution, especially when the first one is generally so tepid because of it's proximity to the second one.

I'm not bored but would agree about changing the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Did Kilkenny CBS hammer st.Kierans in the park today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

5-15 to 11

A tricky assignment awaits sunday.The league match was a help so they know what to expect. Kk attitude will have to be spot on because if this is close down the final stretch it could be a nervy finish. Kk will give them the full respect and the squad that's named represents that.

The galway match will bring us on and despite not closing out the match we played some good hurling after half time. Management and players will take learnings from that game. Mikey butler will be very dissapointed with some of his clearances and Richie Reid the way he was easily pushed off the last ball. We drove a few poor wides to close out that match so hopefully things can be learnt.For all the giving out that's done about deegan he's workrate was a loss last weekend.

Darragh Corcoran has a chance now to nail down a spot he done well when he went back. It's no suprise midfield is changed again and no doubt it wil be a new pairing in a few weeks time. I know it's being a troublesome position but I thought lyng could of done a bit more to date.derek doesn't have the same faith in Cian Kenny and moving him around probably hasnt helped but he has struggled for form but he has huge ability so hopefully he can regain a bit of form before the year is out.

Alot of people now talking about the lack of goals so hopefully that will change sunday.Space will be scarce so hopefully the radar will be turned on when shooting from distance.

Pity Paddy mullen isn't in the squad or didn't get a run the last day. Alot of managers very vocal about the silly u20 rule. Clifford is a sub sunday and is a senior players first obviously but I wouldn't be suprised if he was available Wednesday night and by all accounts Billy drennan should be also back. Theres nearly a 2 week break then from the antrim match sunday to the dublin match at home so hopefully if the u20 win next week the 3 lads will be available for a leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

It was only 2nd year hurling. Plenty of time for kierans to recruit before these two teams get to 6th year.

• Advertisement

Bit of a shock for Wexford in croker. Beaten by 2 points by dublin. Wexford with 19 wides and dublin with 6 wides. The odds are you would expect Wexford to be gone out of championship now provided kilkenny beat antrim tomorrow and dublin at home in 2 weeks.

Outstanding match again in Munster again. What a competition

Can't help noticing that you ignored the Cork v Waterford match last week!

As a hurling supporter more than anything else that was outstanding. Waterford v Cork was poor alright. The fixtures to come are mouthwatering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Thought it was crap enough until Corks 3rd goal and then it just became a goal fest. Wasn't half the game Clare Limerick was. Exciting finish all the same. Tipp definitely left it behind them in my opinion.

I dont think the wexford match was a big shock. Dublin beat them last year and wouldn't fear them the way dublin fear kk. Wexford can have no real complaints today I think it was 20 wides and my God some of them were catastrophic. They look so low on confidence.Liam Ryan and Damien reck went off injured and were well below par. Dee o Keefe didn't play. Hanlon struggled on Burke and should of got a black card. Wexfords all Ireland every year is kk but they've regressed a good bit this year and a big rebuild is needed and they could struggle for a while. We obviously wouldn't be cocky playing them but hopefully we can win the next 2 matches and make things easier for ourselves.

We definitely have a banana skin tomorrow and a defeat here would blow the whole thing back open but if kk win the next 2 matches you would expect themselves and galway to be already In the leinster final before the start of the last game.

Wexford didn't play young Lawlor I think is his name and pepper so it's set up nicely for Wednesday night. Kk will hopefully have a few lads back aswell.

Tipp like us last weekend will be dissapointed they didn't close out that game but that point will be important to both teams. Concededing 7 goals in two games has to be worrying but they got a great return from their subs. It's being already well highlighted but these games should be on Rte.

Big week for 3 kk teams I'd be hopeful 2 will get the win and the minors go out and have a right go off galway but that will be a big ask. Well done to Celtic challenge u17 team who beat clare in the quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think Wexford still have a lot to play for, and can have a huge say in the Leinster championship...

Dublin are currently on 5 points but have to play Kilkenny & Galway. Most likely they will finish on 5 points. But they have caused Galway a lot of trouble in the past.

Galway have Antrim & Dublin left. They'll beat Antrim and so will have 7 points. Then they have Dublin last.

We have 3 at the moment. Hopefully we beat Antrim & Dublin, and that will have us on 7 points with the Wexford match remaining.

Wexford have 2 points currently. They will beat Westmeath. So they will have 4 points going into the last round against us in Wexford park... and a win for them could get them third place overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good performance so far although Antrim havent been good defensively. Could easily have another goal or two, Keoghan with an excellent hattrick. Blanchfield has done well.

4 goals and could of had another two or 3. Kk have pushed up on antrim and forced them long with puckouts and have murdered them in that middle third.

• Advertisement

Good first half from the lads. Antrim really not in the game so far but kilkenny were up for it from the start. It could have been 6 or 7 goals there and I think we've had 10 or 11 wides. Mossy, Cody and TJ combining well. Mossy definitely gets into space to create goal chances and it's good to see us raising 4 green flags.Maybe see wally, hogan and a few more come in.

Advertisement