Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An end to free parking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

The big multinationals would just absorb the cost as a perk to employees so it will essentially be a tax on the multinationals. Almost no one will change to PT transport because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

A lot of people manage it and a lot of people don't. We have more cars than ever, so I don't think it's trending the way you think it is. Eventually, yes, but not in the next couple of decades. We have a long, long way to go and the shítty attitude many have towards motorists does nothing to help. Chopping up every street in the country for cycle lanes and making every other street in the capital a 1 way street won't reduce car use. All it does is píss motorists off with longer journeys which adds to pollution.

I started using personal transport because Dublin Bus was so unreliable. I kid you not when I say I often had to wait more than 2 hours for a bus that was supposed to be 30-40 minutes in frequency. For a 40 minute journey, that really added to my commute after the 20 minute walk to the route. There was also no way of knowing in advance which bus would take a detour through hospital grounds. I picked up a used moped and never looked back. I've been on buses a handful of times since, but never to commute and never when I really needed to rely on one.

Taking away parking, or charging for it at ones place of employment when it is currently free will have negative consequences across the board. I know some smug Lycra lads won't give a damn, but when other services are impacted, or become unavailable due to lack of manpower, it will be just another thing the Government got their hands around and made a complete hack job of.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Depends on what the rules of the new scheme will be.

It doesn’t matter what the rules are the multinationals will easily be able to cover the cost even if it means giving employees a small pay increase to cover it. Many multinationals gave an inflation pay adjustment in the last year which would be much bigger than this.

This will more affect poor employees in smaller companies who would already be using PT if viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

This won't stop people driving. It will just increase costs for employers.

For something like this you really need the carrot approach. I get paid 21 cent per km for cycling to work. You get paid 14cent per km for driving to work. It's not a huge difference but added to the petrol costs, maintenance costs of cars, and other costs we definitely see a rise in people cycling.

• Advertisement

Marie Donnelly and her cohort won't be allowing it to be set up where the employer absorbs the cost. I'm sure any such implementation of parking charges would see her escape them as a working expense on top of her bloated salaries. Lets not forget this is the same socialite bimbo who cost the tax payer £500k when she was the Chairman of the IMMA in 2002. She has a history of ramming change down peoples throats without considering the consequences.

This is just another tax on the motorist and a hefty one at that. I for one would not agree to employment where I had to park my car and pay a parking fee.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This is just another tax on the motorist and a hefty one at that. I for one would not agree to employment where I had to park my car and pay a parking fee.

That's a healthy sense of entitlement you have right there!

If you want to be a cycling soldier, or endure inadequate, unreliable PT, you go right ahead. I won't be taking anymore green agenda, hypocritical nonsense lying down. There is no hiding what this really is: another attack on the motorist. There will be no shortage of employers out there willing to provide me with free parking should I need to work on their site. Or I could just become a dole sponger and would have no need to park at any employers premises. I wouldn't even need to use PT....just get Tesco to deliver me dutch and smokes.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The new DCC offices out in Ballymun, parking for 200 staff cars. One rule for us……

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/north-city-operations-depot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is a 'staff vehicle' a car belonging to staff, or a vehicle required for staff to use?

• Advertisement

In this context, staff vehicle is a privately owned vehicle, as they say 200 spaces are assigned for them, not for general public use. They separately say 100 fleet vehicles parking and 220 bicycles parking. I do hope it's very secure, as the area isn't exactly foxrock.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

They can introduce this all they like for all I care. Charge me to park at the place where I work and I'll park up on the grass. Commonage laws in the town where I work and there's feck all that can be done about that.

Commonage laws refer to livestock, right? Parking on grass verges is certainly illegal.

It's fairly meaningless, unless you also have details of the number of staff at that location and the nature of their work.

I've no idea who Marie Donnelly is and what her role in the policy initiative is, but no one has a veto on any individual policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Free parking available for all employees on a first come/first served basis would not attract BIK (hence why teachers etc would not be a problem). It’s the allocation basis and “entitlement” which means that it is a benefit and should be taxed. And no I am not a begrudger, I have benefited from status related free parking for significant periods. The most extreme being one of 40 spaces in a building of 8,000. Of course I should have been taxed on that benefit.

That surely cannot be the intention, that would include almost nobody.

I guess in a lot of cases they can availa if the same benefit but they choose not to. There is merit in the argument for BIK etc to reduce private car use in congested areas and that should be the first step. In the cases you are responding to, it seems to to consist of factory and shift workers who probably get universal access to parking. It is right to seek to disincentivise it. However, nudge theory would suggest starting elsewhere with a view to getting the ball rolling. Focus on the discrimatory offer of free workplace parking and tax that. See how it changes behaviour etc. with factories, out of town office parks and the like it is complex given the radial nature of employee residences to provide an immediate solution. Over time, networks of public transport can be delivered. Making it work first I. The city centre through increasing the speed of road based public transport (buses/coaches) by eliminating discretionary driving would help.

I walk 25 minutes to my office from what you would no doubt call a leafy suburb. Many neighbours drive into the same office from shorter distances because there is no disincentive to do so.

I am 25st with a dodgy knee; if I can do it then they can but need the financial penalty. By contrast, someone heading from Kilcock to CityWest (say) does not have the option of walking or taking public transport. Free workplace is available to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Very interesting, but if you are cycling through a congested city, are rates of lung issues increased...

I think we need to look at properly segregated cycling infrastructure, not just reassigned a lane to a cycle lane...

In Limerick earlier and with the Kerry Clare game, any cycling lane near the ground, filled with parked cars

Greystones has a single track into Dublin. This is one of the barriers to more efficient public transport.

The lack of differentiation means that all that happens is costs rise. For those sites, there is no reasonable prospect of public transport from all relevant locations. Simply providing a tax does not work unless there is an ability to change behaviour.

It would include the vast amount of parking in Dublin City centre where congestion is worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

On a city study car drivers inhaled the worst air then pedestrian then cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Luckily the Greens are about to be wiped out in the next election so we can put this nonsense and other green washing behind us.

Public transport needs to be improved in the urban areas. Where public transport does not suit people, they should not be punished for something not of their own making.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

"....levy on workers who get free parking in urban areas..."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as Flinty997 mentions, you're better out in the open air than in a car in congested traffic, from an air quality perspective. partly because in congested traffic, you'll be regularly stuck 5 or 10 foot from the exhaust of the car in front.

but the party who have done most - both urban and rural - for PT recently happens to be the green party. i keep seeing this 'we need to be rid of the party doing the most for PT, to concentrate on PT', narrative.

The GP are an utter joke of a party filled with ultra woke shíte bags. The so called PT improvements are at a snails pace, delayed, or cancelled.

They forced the county councils to spend their whole cycle infrastructure last year or lose out in funding the next year. All this did was get councils to put miles of poorly planned, next to useless cycling infrastructure onto the roads at huge expense and bad value for money.

They have delayed time and again the legislation to make e-scooters legal for road use and have watched every other EU country implement legislation within months of announcing it.

They have essentially cancelled metro north, the one project that would make a huge difference to many thousands of people who would use it daily and remove reduce road congestion.

All they are good at is making it more expensive to drive a car. History will repeat and they will be down to one or two TDs next time around. If Catherine keeps her seat, she will strike the jugular to take over the GP. Ryan won’t give a shîte at that stage. He will have shafted us all.

Stay Free

^ He was waiting all day to use that one 😂

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

You're right, driving is a privilege. We owe it to the pioneers of the past who made our lives so much more comfortable and safer today than ever before by developing new products and methods. We should be taking advantage of the privileges we have been given. Not trying to remove or reduce the convenience the car offers to fill in where PT isn't practical.

People don't need encouragment to use PT. That's why the Luas, trains and buses are packed every rush hour.

You just want everyone else to be as miserable, cold and wet you are when arriving to work after cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I was working at a company a few years ago where i had a parking space. They moved to a nicer office about 500 meters down the road and there was no parking there. Most of us were going to leave because we needed to go into the office and then go to various clients from there most days so needed cars. The solution was that the company rented private parking spaces near the office for us.

No parking was an impossible hurdle for us.

Advertisement