Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, well. Big changes at both "Scuderia..." teams ahead.

-Tost out at the end of the year with current Ferrari Sporting Director Laurent Mekies replacing him.

-Former FIA exec Peter Bayer becomes CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Very interesting indeed! I guess they aren't for sale afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The Azerbaijan and Miami GP's are back-to-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's pretty wild. From a logistics perspective it would make sense to have all the American races together on the calendar. But from a commercial perspective it probably makes way more sense to space them out.

Azerbaijan to miami is a bit wild though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

With the exception of some mechanical items and the cars themselves, none of the gear in Baku will be in Miami next week, so it’s logistically fine to have the calendar the way it is. All the gear in Baku will be shipped to most probably Monaco or Barcelona after the race on Sunday.

Infact there is likely plenty of race day equipment from all teams in containers on a ship bound for Singapore as we speak. The logistics are insane and it’s not as simple as pack up and onto the next!

It is a topic for the calendar next year, trying to shorten the distances between races so the freight doesn't have to go across the world per race. Surprised it took this long for it to be considered, especially with F1 aiming for carbon neutrality etc

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

The logistic aspect is often misunderstood, people think that they ship everything, lock stock and barrel race to race. But they have multiple sets in transport at any given time, leap frogging across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

True, but that doesn’t apply to human logistics. Under cost cap the teams can only have so many human resources who have to travel, the drivers themselves are only replaceable in extraordinary circumstances, plus people like Tom Clarkson who moderates the press conference, David Croft who commentates every single race on site the race director, the medical team, safety car driver etc. Only one of each of those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Just watching the toto interview with Rachel Brookes , she was tough on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Harika

Heads up to the F1 TV App.

Linked mine to the TV box and great UI experience with international feed commentators of Alex Jacques and Jolyon Palmer. Will Buxton and more.

Also tape of delay option, aka when you are 30 min late to a race start you can start from beginning.

I really hope the Sky contract will in future allow that here too, until then you will need to use VPN to signup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Is there less and less overtaking now? Have the teams sorted the aero out now that we are back to square one?

I even heard Karun say dirty air over the weekend, I thought the new aero packages was to sort that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

They raised the ride height this year and teams have found various tricks which has undone some of the good work for last year's cars. There was a 30% increase in overtaking last year. This year so far it's dropped back down to where it was previously, but we've still got quite a small amount of data after 4 races.

Azerbaijan had some mitigating factors in that they shortened the DRS since last year which was always going to make overtaking harder, and the safety car came out essentially right in the middle of the one stop pit window so everybody pit then and there was no variation in strategy beyond the one or two cars who lost out by pitting early, who did make overtakes and find their way back up. You also had the guys who started from the pit lane running long, who specifically went with a low downforce setup making themselves impossible to overtake creating a train - this situation was really a side effect of the weekend format and parc ferme rules for the sprint race.

In general though Baku always goes one of two ways - either there are some crashes, safety cars and red flags that cause chaos, or very little happens. It is not a track that generates typical close racing or strategic battles and not a good predictor of how other races at more traditional circuits will go.

I think the current generation of Pirelli tyres need to be looked at though. They don't wear much over distance and could basically do the entire race on one set which kills any opportunity for strategy, while at the same time they're extremely sensitive to temperature changes so they can't run close behind other cars without losing grip nor do they allow for hard pushing. Ideally you really want tyres that do the exact opposite.

I do find it ironic with Wolff saying the FIA need to do something to avoid boring races like Baku. Toto, we had YEARS of that with Merc, pottle calling the kettle black doesn't even sum this up.

He was the loudest voice last year as well about changing the ride height in the hopes it would help Merc and bring RB back. Look how that worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Hijpo

That nonsense would put me off the sport more than a team developing within the regs without a head start on everyone.

Wolff has a habit of things like this I find, complains about something that Merc did first or were part of to begin with. He has a very short memory, or he thinks most of the fans are gobshites

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I get it, it is part of the game to try and bring your opponents back. I do find it flat out stupid though that a team that enjoyed such dominance and performance advantage (also remember engine tokens? Merc wanted that to keep their advantage) complain about this stuff.

Even this week Wolff said that were it not for the budget cap, they would just make a new chassis and go from there. That was what Merc did for YEARS, just throw money at the problem. Now that is gone, they have to revert to this whinging to the FIA, that is a far cry from the proud dominance they had before, seems like so long ago now.

This was the full quote from Wolff

"In the past, we wouldn't even know what a front suspension costs and today we need to take the purchase price of the aluminium and then factor in how much the machining of it costs, how much you need to write off from the aluminium that you don't need, price out every bolt that goes into the suspension, the carbon that you bought as the raw material then cut it and put it on... What is the energy cost of the composite room, the overhead that goes into it, and at the end comes out the product.

This is super complex and it's gone so far that we have cost analysts, engineers, that need to decide whether buying that kilogram of aluminium is worth the performance gain on the other side. That process is so difficult and painful; people that should be creative only and have carte blanche, they can't do it because somebody is telling them whether it's feasible in the cost cap or not.

And that's why it's so important that everybody adheres to the cost cap. If you're overshooting, every 10,000 matters."

In summary, Merc would just throw the kitchen sink at the issues they had in the past.

This is interesting. Liberty media really trying to grow the fanbase. Brad Pitt as a former driver who gets back in the cockpit. Sounds dreadful but in the good way. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not too familiar with Kerry other than her fantastic role in the otherwise boring Banshees film, fair play to her getting the role though.

I did have a chuckle reading that Hamilton is acting in some sort of consultancy role to make sure it’s as authentic as possible (fair enough in itself) but then they cast a 59 year old as some returning F1 driver. Gtfo with that crap. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

its probably being produced by Pitts production company, Plan B Entertainment.

on their wiki page, they have an untitled Joseph Kosinski film as Upcoming..

From the article linked above "Entertainment trade publication The Hollywood Reporter says that the Apple Studios film will be directed by Top Gun: Maverick's Joseph Kosinski and produced by Top Gun's Jerry Bruckheimer". The top gun movie didn't interest me so I haven't seen it.

It's a movie. It doesn't have to be realistic to be entertaining. Sounds but bad movie are sometimes good.

I understand that. But as I said, they are trying for authenticity. With a 59 year old F1 driver…

I’ll still watch it for a bit of fun regardless.

Ah the old Friday evening trip to your local Xtravision to check out the new releases and hoping they’re not already all out. 🤓😁

Finding out they are all out and "booking" it for the week after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

Get used to the max-checo-alonso podiums for the year it seems, even at that Alonso was still a pitstop behind max after starting p2 and max p9, credit to max all the same he's so dialed in with that car, checo doing as best he can ultimately.

Ferrari just seem in no man's land, neither here nor there, Leclerc as always has a quali lap in him but the race pace is just nowhere.

Mercedes, again much the same as Ferrari except you won't see any of them sneaking a P1 in quali, Russell definitely seems more comfortable in the car. Lots of talk of Imola upgrades being the make or break, if they don't make any real headway there will they punt the season?

Can't be far off heads rolling at mclaren, all the talk was of the Baku upgrade package but they were absolutely nowhere in Miami, Lando might snag points here or there but it looks pretty bleak there. Also heard someone on sky mentioning the head honcho at Alpine is publicly saying how for the input Alpine are receiving the results are way off track, pressure on them too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement