Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 89tipp91

We are looking hungry after a shaky start, bit worrying the gaps atthe back for the goals, but some great play o far otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭farmerval

Draw was OK we were the better team, but 4 goals conceded was a mountain to climb. Cork missed a lot of chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KClon11

Conceding 7 goals in 2 games is very worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

We are way better than last year. Have a lot more spirit and character and a game plan. Cork have a way bigger population than us and you’d have to admire their supporters and atmosphere. They were a 16th man to Cork tonight and really pushed them on in that last ten minutes.

We were good. There is something to really build on here. We have problems to sort out but we’re showing up and putting up a fight.

Lost Forde very early- just after he got our first point from play I think. Cork got killer goals at really good times. But we fought hard and played smart going forward.

3 points from 4.

We could do with three weeks off after that game.

What. A. Game.

Loved every second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ye did too much of a spy job up here by the way walking the dog in oggonnelloe 😂 ye almost got caught out by the rebles !!

it was a fantastic game to watch in fairness but there are as many pros as cons from a tipperary view point

in terms of cons , the fullback line needs a shake up before the limerick game 7 goals in two games one of the lads here said , it could have been 7 tonight at times

pros , noel mcgrath in midfield excellent again, alan tynan also , the performance of ronan maher and seamus kennedy in the half back line , and jason forde , 15 minutes of hurling and 4 points

plus you did us a huge favor now should limerick only win one more game and we win one more we have them on head to head so i am nearly as happy as yourself tonight

• Advertisement

Almost...

2 away games, 3 points? Way better than last year. Maybe we won't get out of Munster but we're much improved.

I think when you've got an attack minded game plan like Tipp do you're always going to be a bit open at the back. Plus, it's a game plan still being developed. How did Lohan do in his first year? He did well but was just caught.

We're down options at the back at the moment. Craig Morgan & Dillon Quirke did bring pace and would have been in their second year as starters... I think Craig beside Ronan would help him a lot. Connolly is a big man who can move and I'm sure he'll get game time too when his muscle injury clears up.

That said, it's a new full back line playing together and the more they play together the better they'll get I think. I wouldn't panic just yet.

But this Tipp team has something to build on. And two home games now. Maybe Limerick might gut us at the back but sure look, we'll go again.

Got minutes into Seamie. Got minutes into Keogh and Bowe... Enda Heffernan got some minutes. Stapleton got a lot of minutes into the legs. Tynan took a big step towards arriving in championship now. O'Mara, Ryan, Breen, learning their trade at the back at this level and how to work as a unit at the back.

Maybe we might (hopefully) see a few backs emerge on Monday night...

I see your blowin' smoke up the Cork boy's "teak tough" full back line🤣 - 2-10 from play scored on that full-back line tonight... They won't beat ye or Limerick, not in Ennis or the Gaelic Grounds. No way. I'd be shocked if they did.

The permutations are unreal. Us and Cork on the odd number of points shakes things up hugely. Their bench had a big impact. Mark Kehoe's best ever outing for us.

If Limerick and Clare end up on four points Clare have it on head to head, provided Cork and ourselves are on 5 points each at that stage. Every single game is important.

When we played the ball through the lines we got some lovely scores. Holding onto possession was the key to maximising opportunities. Sean Ryan and Conor Bowe didn't fire but the experience will stand them in good stead. Noel sprayed some lovely ball around in the second half in particular. Tynan, Seamie Kennedy, Ronan, all had big shifts for us.

start from the top and work down as they say

2 games 3 points and a surprised tipp man , i told you that last year was down to nothing but terrible management , cahill is a top coach ,noel mcgrath never regressed , no player did the set up did last year cahill has it restored

its hartbreaking when you mention down players and dillon Quirke in the same quote but i understand , in fairness if i were liam cahill i would be purchasing an E-Scooter or a drone for johhey ryan to catch his man he was way too slow tonight

the fact that forde played only 15 minutes and scored 4 points shows how much ye can improve especially with the return of callanan , when that team is fully fit it will have a huge say in things later on in the year

as for the cork lads , no i was serious o'leary and Ger Millerick were excellent tonight , what i didnt tell them is there half back line is a total shambles since mark colman got injured and tony kelly and ryan taylor have been sharpening their knives for 2 weeks time

shur look tis an easy game to play when your on your 7th or 8t pint at nearly 2 in the morning watching womans golf ..... you know yourself🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

well to be fair for all the talk of Downey and Joyce they werent exactly up to speed today , i have seen loads of cork at this level over the years i still say tim o mahoney and coleman are the best options in the half back line .

• Advertisement

Again windy I Don't want to be disagreeing for the sake of it but I don't rate them . Flaking hurlers no doubt

Tipp 6 points better for me. As I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EdmundShearan

Yep, you're looking down the barrel of a defeat v Limerick and potentially an embarrassing banana skin v Waterford after the mental blow out of losing to Limerick.

Ah well 😅

yes fair enough but it was in midfield and the cork half back line where they dominated , the midfield and half forward and half back lines cork were killed tonight thats why they were 6 points better then them

but thats why i said mark coleman ,hes the best they have in that possition

Way better than last year when ye amassed the sum total of zero points, yay hay 🤣

Genuinely looking forward to Limerick mullering ye.

Conceding 7 goals in 2 games is pure class

I just don't think he's a good defender.

Tipperary are going very well if they beat limerick they're serious all Ireland material.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Class of any kind not to mention pure class is something that's fairly scarce in your posts!

I reckon it's a double poster , I had something like 6 replies from the same poster last night and each and everyone of them pure tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Nothing like championship!

1 point is better than none (had there been another 5 mins I reckon Cork would have won it, they had all the momentum) but disappointing to have not seen that game out. Considering the beating we took in Thurles last year and in particular how we threw in the towel it shows there has been significant progress made this year under Cahill.

Goes without saying the worrying aspect is 7 goals conceded in 2 games. We didn't cover ourselves in any particular glory defending any of them last night, especially number 4 when we should have been able to hold Cork out. The run in from the end line should never have been allowed materialise. The two first half strikes were every Tipp fans worst nightmare, fast player has turned their defender and running at our goal. Can't blame Hogan for any of them, but he lost it at the defence for the 4th. Not sure exactly what the issue has been back there, but I do think they will improve as a unit. Barrett is the only one with real inter county experience back there.

Half back line was very good, but Cork backs delivery was exceptionally poor at times - you'd have sworn Ronan Maher was one of their own with the amount of ball that was pucked to him. He can count himself very lucky not to have gotten a red for that challenge on Fitzgibbon. He will be disappointed that Harnedy grabbed a high ball over him for the 3rd goal. Found it hard to tell Seamus Kennedy and Bryan O Mara apart from the terrace end, Kennedy did some great shooting from half back. Our deliveries have definitely improved from where from where have been, more use of diagonal ball, working through the lines rather than the direct route. Tynan was sensational last night, really seems to have settled into that midfield role and well able to take a score. Noel played some great passes around, very good vision.

Half forward had great work rate and did win a lot of dirty ball I felt, for once we seemed to be the ones coming out of the rucks with the ball instead of the opposition. They might not have had a physical edge over the Cork half back line, but they seemed to have more desire to get stuck in. I'm praying for Forde's injury to be nothing major, had he played 70 mins I definitely think we would have won. Incidentally, that is probably the best I have seen Mark Kehoe play for us in a Tipp jersey, really got stuck in. Morris also seemed to get on a lot of ball. Sean Ryan tried very hard but his touch seemed to let him down, always looked to do the right thing but it just didn't happen for him.

Goals were really what kept Cork in this for large parts, which is why it was disappointing not to see this out, felt we were the better team for most of the match. To be fair though, Cork did take their chances at the end and I thought we were hanging on, crowd was really behind them. Not sure of any personnel changes for the next day, maybe Kehoe instead of Ryan, will depend on Forde's fitness too. Roll on Limerick.

• Advertisement

Those that do turn up do manage to make noise despite how little. They’re a genuine supporter showing up.

Tipperary GAA wish to extend its deepest sympathies to Senior football manager David Power on the passing of his mother Miriam. We also extend sympathy to David’s father & former Co Treasurer Michael and his brother Kevin at this very sad time.

May Miriam Rest In Peace.

Fresh out of minor Corbett, gets the nod - surprised. He's very accurate and skillful but small for the grade. Some achievement for him.

Just watched the Sunday Game, Michael Breen looked extremely weak for lots of Cork scores, the first Cork goal he stayed back didn't go and challenge the inrushing forward. One or two Shane Kingston points he was very passive and easily side stepped. He's only part of the defence but I can't see him cutting it in the full backline.

Our defence overall will be disappointed to concede the last goal from a straight long ball up the middle.

Waterford and Clare next. A Waterford win brings them back into it and puts Clare in Jeopardy, making Clare Cork a must win. A Clare win takes Waterford completely out, better for Tipp. If we beat Limerick they can only get 4 points maximum, again somewhat jeopardy, either head to head or score difference likely needed to progress.

Pure tripe, possibly, lol, I don't actually remember what I posted.

Anyway, being serious, it was an unbelievable game on Saturday, Tipp lucky to get out with a draw in the end which was quite funny given how dominant ye were for large swathes of the game.

You have some class hurlers no doubt.

Still think Limerick will have too much for ye, and that game v Waterford could give ye far more issues than it should.

listen , i might drive a crap car but i am no john nettles , it was easy to spot

speak your mind whatever it maybe but dont ruin threads by entering new usernames , i have destroyed some threads with my drunking posts , look at my womens golf post on here last night for example

you are a welcomed poster on here you know your stuff , but i still dont agree with you 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Booked my train ticket a few days ago for Tipp v. Limerick game on 21st, coming from Dublin. Surprised to find I could get only a terrace ticket online last night - a good sign I suppose. Anybody know about availability of stand tickets either side? Either way am really looking forward to this now.... first live game for me since Covid, and no better place than the home of hurling!

I'd doubt there's many stand tickets floating around. There always is but you wouldn't be wise to give up a ticket if you have one.

It's the first championship game (the first real Tipperary game) at Semple Stadium since Dillon Quirke passed. It's a monumental moment for Tipp hurling and Tipperary players/supporters. It'll be an emotional day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

So basically one win from either of our two remaining matches sees us through right?

Advertisement